Polytheism - Jehovah has same status as other gods

by Sirona 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah

Hello, sixofnine. :)

I am not selling anything. I am merely pointing people to the truth, and the nice thing about truth is: if you add to it or take away from it, then it is no longer truth. :)

What is your idea of God?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hi Jeremiah! Welcome to JWD!

You've asserted:

Ever heard the phrase, "There are no athiests in a foxhole"? When we face death and come to the realization of weak we are and the need for God, then we are in touch with our true spiritual selves.

Weeeeell, guess I've never actually been in a foxhole but I doubt I'd do a complete about face. No, I'm not afraid of death and no, I don't mind Christians or any other people who declare a faith in something however, I don't like to be talked down to or told what to believe.

Hehe guess I just popped my atheist cherry!

~Aztec rather be an ambulatory vegetable than a theist class

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah

Aztec,

Weeeeell, guess I've never actually been in a foxhole but I doubt I'd do a complete about face. No, I'm not afraid of death and no, I don't mind Christians or any other people who declare a faith in something however, I don't like to be talked down to or told what to believe.

No problem :) I am not here to shove anything down anyone's throat. :) But, like the prior post stated, many people attempt to reach God at times of great trials, like facing death. The great thing is, that is is always willing to take us, no matter how dirty we are :)

• Aztec
    Aztec

Well you, I'll have you know I take a shower everyday damnit! I'm not dirty at all...LOL! You should prove a welcome addition to the board Jeremiah! Take care.

~Aztec

• Sirona
    Sirona

Jeremiah,

Welcome to the board

IMO, there is nothing about the bible which makes it "better" than any other religious writing. Without using the bible, you have no proof that Jehovah is of higher status than any other God.

The bible's account of Jehovah sounds to me a lot like many of the Gods of Greece - warring, jealous, loving at the same time, demanding worship....

Prove he is any different!

Sirona

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah

Greetings, Sirona. :)

The bible's account of Jehovah sounds to me a lot like many of the Gods of Greece - warring, jealous, loving at the same time, demanding worship....

Let's start with this statement. From my knowledge of the Greek pantheon, Zeus was the top of the lot, Hera was his wife and one of his opponents and everyone else submitted to Zeus. Correct? How is that different that Jehovah? The first difference is the obvious, Jehovah is One God, vs many gods in the pantheon. That might sound simple, and it is, but it is very important to remember. By God being one, then his plan for his creation is under sole leadership, His. Under the Greek pantheon, Zeus could not always get his way. Hera and the other gods were always plotting against him. In the word, Jesus stated ,in Matt 12:25, "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand". Another difference is that God is constant. He does go through mood swings like the pantheon gods. He can't be "tricked" into doing what you want, like how men would try and trick the pantheon gods to do their bidding. Is God jealous of us? Yes. What causes his jealousy? He wants us only to love him. Does God cause his people to fight others? Yes. Why? Because the other nations were leading people away from his love. Does He demand worship? Hmm, does your parents demand your love and respect? Or do you give it to them because you love them? God is our Father. He wants relationship with us. That is why we were made.

Gotta run, but more to come later. Hope this helps.

God Bless!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Jeremiah

There is currently a thread running which discusses Jehovah's consort. There is some evidence to suggest that there was also a "Goddess" in that pantheon. Also, the bible states that there are other gods. It refers to Satan as a god and at one point even Paul is suspected to be "a god".

Yahweh doesn't seem very "constant" to me. The mosaic law was totally abolished with Jesus, for a starter. All those so called perfect laws were gotten rid of. Thats called change. One minute Jehovah is vengeful and kills whole societies of people, the next minute he is "saving" mankind because he's so loving.

Sirona

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah

Sirona,

Yahweh doesn't seem very "constant" to me. The mosaic law was totally abolished with Jesus, for a starter. All those so called perfect laws were gotten rid of. Thats called change. One minute Jehovah is vengeful and kills whole societies of people, the next minute he is "saving" mankind because he's so loving.

Matt 5:17 "Think not that I came to destroy the Law, or the prophets. I came not to destroy, but to fulfill."

James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

Jesus is the same: Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever."

The "change" most people is see is the outward. The various laws no longer needed, like sacrificing an animal for a sin offering. However, the change was only due to the ultimate sacrifice being paid for sins had been completed through Jesus. God has always been loving and it is demonstrated in the old testament. Look at the book of Jonah. Jonah wanted Nineveh destoyed. God wanted to punish them for there evil ways. However, when they repented, God had compassion on them and didn't destroy them. Why? He wants people to come to Him.

Also, the bible states that there are other gods. It refers to Satan as a god and at one point even Paul is suspected to be "a god".

The Bible does use the term "gods". Does that mean the are actually other "gods", beings of power on the same footing as God? No. I would challenge you to list me the verse where that it written. The Bible is quite clear that there is only one true God. I will agree that sometimes men thought other men were "gods". (Acts 14:11, Acts 28:6) The term was also used in the old testament, as a referencing a man as a "god". (Exodus 7:1) Did this mean that Moses was an actual god? No, it more implys that Moses held access to God's power to impress Pharoah. To Pharoah, Moses would appear a "god", but we know that Moses had no power of his own.

I hope this answers some questions for you.

God Bless!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit