If you decided to try a church, which one would you try?and why?

by LyinEyes 45 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Reborn, I use the definition of cult described here. http://www.gospelcom.net/apologeticsindex///c09.html

Surely not every church/religion is extremist or faddish.

• caligirl
    caligirl

We have been to a few non-denominational services, and I actually for the first time felt good when it was over. One of the things that was said by the pastor of one church we went to was that if you are part of a church that claims it alone is the only way to salvation, RUN and don't go back because no church/religion has the right to claim to be the soul connection. I will never belong to an organized religion again.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I still go to church when I want to. Here is my 6 years of experience, and my 'safe' list:

the Unitarian Universalists are good for tolerance and acceptance, but not really 'churchy'--depends on what you are looking for. They are a highly intelligent group and they are a fantastic connection for education and learning about all religions. But, usually any ritual form of religion is done as individuals, not something you will find on a Sunday service. I recommend associating with this group because they are very useful in making community connections and non-invasive. And they don't care if you never show up or go to other places.

for ritual and a sense of history and culture I either go to Roman Catholic Church or Anglican/Episcopalian. Not every one can handle the RC. So in that case American Episcopalian or traditional Anglican is a good choice--especially for the traditional Christian holidays. Pretty and satisfying services/masses and gives you a sense of continuity thru the centuries.

Methodists are pretty tolerant, but much more on the Protestant side of the coin. Great television commercials in the US! I have heard them use a woman and a black man's voice for 'God' LOLOLOLOL.

Presbyterian and Lutheran scare me because I have seen as many damaged people out of those two denoms on the exit christianity boards as I have JWs and Mormons. Don't know why, but it seems to be a political problem within the congregations---I figure best not to get involved if I can find what I am looking for elsewhere.

Any Evangelical or Fundamentalist is just an automatic F for me. Never never again! Baptist, Church of God or Church of Christ, any Pentecostal, Holiness or Charismatic movement is just way too rigid and judgemental and cultishly terrifying for me. Too many rules. I will never limit my deities again by human weakness.

I hear Quakers are tolerant, never tried them--I am more into the ceremony and ritual.

I have found in my own research(and I don't mean just web surfing---I went to a couple of Divinity Schools for atleast 2 semesters in my searching...)that the movements in the US who claim 'authentic', 'original' or 'primitive' Christianity are way off base. Christianity came directly from Judaism(most likely Essene), with influences of Hellenic Greek philosophy and Mithraism(a form of Zorastrianism adopted by Roman soldiers) and it was VERY ceremonial and ritualistic. Sorry but the stripped down versions we see today that advertize as being the way it was done in the first century are just not accurate. So the whole Kingdom Hall Memorial thing is just bare and cold, not accurate. (Along this same line of thought, Luther did not intend to start a new religion, he only wanted to reform Catholicism, he did not have an argument with the masses, only the corrupt priests of the time. His followers took the ball and ran with it, and IMO threw the baby out with the bath water.)

Just my opinions,

Ravyn

• borgfree
    borgfree

If you believe the bible is God's word then you are limited in what church/churches you will want to attend. Many of the churches mentioned here do not accept the bible as God's word.

After leaving the WT org. I attended Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Church of the Brethren, and probably a few that I do not remember right now. I also attended a Catholic church with my neighbor. My neighbor was not happy that I brought a bible and suggested I leave it in the car. Catholics for the most part are ignorant of the scriptures.

I believe the Baptists were the ones who held much stronger to the scriptures as "the" word of God, but the others were also very strong in bible belief.

I enjoyed the Pentecostals most because they use music more. Their worship services usually have very spirited singing and praising God. I have heard that some Baptist churches have music similar to the Pentecostals but I have not attended one like that yet.

If you are a bible believer it is not so important which church you attend as long as they accept the bible as the word of God, fully. After all as a Christian we give our lives to our Lord Jesus, not to a church. I have also decided not to "join" any church, other than "the church", the family of God.

If any church tried to tell me I must believe their way, other than the basic beliefs in Jesus Christ Himself, I would not go back to that church. As Christians we are free. We owe our allegiance only to our God.

Borgfree

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

On a personal note: I am a witch. I believe in reincarnation and I have definite memories of past lives, including knowing skills and places I have never had the chance to know in this life, that can not be explained any other way. I practice magic(k) as a means of energy manipulation and science. My hereditary belief system is gothic/norman/norse as best I can tell. But when I married into an Italian family I was initiated into the Italian Old Religion by my husband's Nanna and Noni. Similar beliefs in 'fairies' or 'fallen angels'--see the Book of Enoch(web search). But I also consider myself New Age, because I do not think the old religions are totally where we need to be at this time...I believe in the evolution of humans in a spiritual sense and feel we are definitely on the brink of something big---Armageddon/Ragnarok/Apocalypse/Age of Aquarius/Rapture....something, but I don't think it is understood yet. (Kinda like the feeling you get when you watch Planet of the Apes and they happen upon the Statue of Liberty in the sand....wooo wooo wooo!) I am a believer in legends like Atlantis and other civilizations. I am not Wicca.

I don't believe gods or goddesses require worship or sacrifice per se. I think there are Higher Spirit Beings and they do communicate with us and they can help---but they don't HAVE to. I believe our souls/spirits continue to exist after our bodies die. And I believe this life is a school where we have to learn in order to evolve into higher life forms like the ones we call gods and goddesses. They are just Senior Classmen. I believe in gnosis and enlightenment. I believe in Karma, but not in the typical way. I think we start out each level of existence with the tools we have collect from the previous ones. This can be advantages and disadvantages, but I don't think we carry 'sins' into the next level that have to 'paid' for. I believe the only thing that is constant is change. I believe in Chaos theories. Ialso believe there is some elemental common denominator in all human religions and that they serve as an incubator for human spirituality so therefore it is normal and natural and good that we occasionally as individuals find the neccessity to have to move on to some other one.

well, that's all I can think of for now. Ask anything! There are LOTS of people on here who will be happy to answer you--and some of the answers might even prove useful! LOL

Ravyn

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks for the info everyone,,,,,,,,,,I have pretty much decided it was not going to be a baptist church simply because of the baptist I know personally,,,,,,Remember I live in the Bible belt and they are really agaisnt drinking,,,,,,,,,,NO BEER,,,,,,,,not a one? No way. That turned me off right away. I am also not going to a Pentocost church , cause I like to wear pants and makeup and I dont want to grow my hair to my waist and never cut it. Believe me this is how it is done here.

There is a church I am thinking about , it is a non nondenominational one, more of an outreach center, they call it a worship center, instead of a church. All people are invited of all races, and there is a large number of black people that attended this certain one, and I know some of them personally, and would at least know some people , they are good folks. You just don't see many churches with a mixed group of all races around here. In alot of other things the races mix,but when it comes to churches, things are different.

These people at this place are always helping the poor in the area, in many kinds of ways. They do more for the community by way of donations and they have a little thrift store that all proceeds go to helping the center and also feeding and clothing the down and out. I know some people who work there and all you have to do is ask for help and you get it no questions asked.

I think something like this is what draws me to them because they are really trying to be Christ like in giving and helping others. I guess I will never know unless I try it.

I do understand what you mean Reborn,I dont want to jump back into another controlling religion, and I will be the first one to get up and leave if I feel something is not right.

I have done the nature thing, I still count that as an important part of my spirituality, as I do my own thinking, and reading .

But as you said, I feel a need to be part of the community and to do something good for others, and just be a part of something good. This worship center , sings,,,,,,,,,,boy do they sing,,,,, they have told me about the wonderful gospel music they do , and most Sunday's they have a covered dish after service dinner for anyone who wants to be there.

I will let you know if I get the courage up to venture out there and try it,,,,,,, I know I have the power just to leave if I dont like it, or see any of those red flags go up.

Man I havent worn a dress or panty hose in 2 years......lol, but I know at this place I could come as I wanted to , but to me , wearing a simple dress is how I will go.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

oh I just thot of something---

if you try a UU church(Unitarian Universalist) many times in the summer the pastor or minister takes the time off and the services are conducted by the members and it may seem odd. So if you decide to check them out...give them a couple of chances when the summer is over too.

I think you are getting some great responses here! Borgfree has a very good review of the religons that don't appeal to me personally but might appeal to you!

Keep in mind also the region where you live---some groups are just flat out weird in certain areas of the US.

Ravyn

• rocketman
    rocketman

I have no plans to try a church, but if I did try it could be Lutheran. I have some in-laws who are Lutheran. Also, there is one member of this board with whom I sometimes chat via IM who is quite happy with her Lutheran church.

However, in reading some stuff about Lutheran beliefs, I don't think I could really buy into it anyway. But, if wanted a place to go, I might start there.

rocketman - of the too burned out from being a jw to attend any religious services class

• Swan
    Swan

Although it is a bit far to travel for me (about 50 miles), I think I would give the 24-hour Church of Elvis in Old Town, Portland, OR a try because it sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Tammy

• roybatty
    roybatty

After checking out a half dozen churches, the kids and I attend the local Methodist church. There are a few good reasons. One, I like their motto "Open hearts, Opens minds, Open doors." Everyone is welcome. Everyone is welcome to partake of the wine & bread. There isn't this feeling of "you HAVE to believe what we teach" but they also don't take it to the other extreme. Also, they have a lot of programs designed to help in the community. And finally two things. One, they welcomed us on our first visit but didn't do the "high pressure" thing and also lots of my kid's friends go there.

Regarding Reborn's comments about exchanging one control group for another. Not sure that it's comparing "apples to apples." I've had several casual conversations with the minister of Methodist church (who is a female). Sometimes to we agree, some times we don't. But there's more emphasis placed on finding your own beliefs then on simply accepting what the church teachs. Also, I do believe that kids are better off when taken to church. It's not a "cure all" but I believe it benefits them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit