If you decided to try a church, which one would you try?and why?

by LyinEyes 45 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have been thinking of doing something I have wanted to for along time, just to see, that is go to a church. I guess I am a little afraid , or nervous , more than anything, but I feel I ready to venture out there and see what it is about,,,,,,,,,,,lol, I might not stay , I just want to try it.

I just want to give it a chance and right now I have no reason why I shouldnt if I go in with my eyes open. I dont know what religion to start with,,,,,,,,, I figure this may be a journey on finding what feels right to me, or it could end up I stay home and do my own worship , who knows.

I know there are many Christains on this board and I would be interested in hearing why you choose the faith you did, if it is Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, or other mainstream ones.

I am also interested in other forms of religion some have choosen, and why?

And do you believe everything your religion or church believes or are you allowed a certain about of freedom of thought , as in a preacher telling you , he doesnt know all the answers but you must find things out for yourself. Being raised a JW , never setting foot in a church,,,,,,,,,I can't imagine what it would be like, but my curiosity is getting to me......lol.

I am skeptical , but openminded as long as no one tries to force anything on me, I am a little afraid to get people trying to love bomb me and coming to my home, so I know I will go in with my self defense mode in action.

I would love to hear your stories, maybe it will help me decide what I want to do,,,,,,,,maybe I can let go of the fear that I will only hurt myself more .

• metatron
    metatron

Possibly a Unity or Unitarian church

Someplace where you could find nice idealistic people who aren't a sad collection of losers such as most Witnesses are.

In saying that, I feel a little bad about labeling most Witnesses as losers but I don't know how else to put it succintly.

Most Witnesses I know are chronically depressed, ill, broke, suffering thru a bad marriage, having out of control kids,

- blah, blah, blah. I tried as hard as I could as an elder but it's just so futile in a controlling cult like this. Things stay static

while they say "Armageddon is soon".

metatron

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I go to a Vedanta Center once in awhile, or visit their monastaries.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Forget church. Imbibe nature.

Dansk

• shera
    shera

For myself,something spiritual and non-religious.I don't have much faith in any organized religion.

I haven't found what I'm looking for,but right now its more of a spritual thing within myself.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

DISCLAIMER: The following post is my opinion, solely my opinion, and is not to be interpretated as insulting or deragatory of someone else's beliefs.

If you decided to try a church, which one would you try?and why?

Why trade in one control group for another? No matter what religion is promoted from a church, the central core belief is the same. You can interchange the term Christianity, Islam, etc. and you still get this:

We have the only true God. We have the only true religion. You must follow our specific set of doctrines in order to be saved.

You just escaped the Jehovah's Witness cult. Why show interest in joining another?

Is it an inherent need to belong? Or a need to feel as though you are part of a group? Is it because you are still unsure of what is right or wrong.. or are you feeling an intrinsic void that needs to be filled with answers about your own spiritual destiny and comprehension of the cosmos?

Every religion proclaims to have the answers. You see that is how they ensnare people. They play on basic needs.

If I were you, I would NOT join a church. Go to the library and read the literature of all of the world's different religions. Study the Talmud, the Old Testament, the Koran, etc. You will see the common thread. If you feel the need to join a group or to belong, go to your community college and join a class in some activity that interests you.

Religion has enough converts.

(((((LyinEyes))))))))

Give me best to WildTurkey. I have not seen him on the board in a while, and I hope he is doing well.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Like picking a partner, you have to spend some time talking and observing a church before you know if you have a "keeper". Frankly, I don't think denomination matters. Here are some things I look for the first time I go:

• Is someone keeping up the bulletin boards? Are there lots of activities planned?
    • Did someone come up and greet you when you came in? Is there lots of happy chatter before service? (I know this can be freaky for an xJW, as love bombing comes to mind, so spend some time thinking about it afterwards. Did it seem genuine, unforced?)
    • I love music, so the music matters. A dead-dull congregation that is barely participating turns me off.
    • Are the children bouncing and happy?
    • Is the pastor's sermon relevant? Does he/she share a part of himself/herself? Is plain language used, and was the main point brought home for me?
    • Are lots of the members of the congregation participating, or is all the "saintliness" reserved for a slaving few?

If everybody is happy and involved, I think you have a "keeper". If they suggest after a few weeks that you need to withdraw from family and friends, run, run, run!

Reborn and Dansk, I understand your aversion to the organization thing, I really do. There is a reason, however, why people join together to worship God. Many people enjoy community. Just because people get together to worship God does not make them a cult. Just because there are abusive marriages does not make all marriages abusive.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    There is a reason, however, why people join together to worship God. Many people enjoy community.

I acknowledged that in my previous post. People feel an inherent need to associate with others and to belong.

Just because people get together to worship God does not make them a cult. Just because there are abusive marriages does not make all marriages abusive.

This is an unfair analogy. Look up the word cult. You will find that in fact ALL religions ARE cults.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cult

• A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
  • The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
  • A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
    1. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
    2. The object of such devotion.
    3. cult ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k
      n.
        1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
        2. The followers of such a religion or sect.

When one joins a church, you are joining a system or community of religious worship. I suggest you look up terminology before being so quick to call me wrong. The term cult means far more than just obsessive lunatics. Whether it is Christianity in it's various forms (Jehovah's Witness, Catholicism, Baptists, etc.) Islam (Sunni, Shiite, etc.) or any other religion, it is a specific set of beliefs and laws followers are expected to believe and adhere to, thereby making it a cult.

1. Hamas
        Hamas
        Forget church. Imbibe nature.

Dansk

Well said.

2. freedom96
        freedom96

I have been to a couple of non-denominational churches, and have been quite pleased with them. I won't belong to another organized religion again.

Share this

Google+
      Pinterest
      Reddit