If you decided to try a church, which one would you try?and why?

by LyinEyes 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((((((((((Lyin')))))))))))))))))))

How are you sweetie? I've wondered when you would come out with a post like this. I know you've been curious for a while now. My opinion (amongst the many here) is satisfy your curiosity. But be careful. I do believe it takes a lot of discernment to find the right place for you and your family. Pray for discernment...to make a sound decision. But base it on your gut (that's where I feel God talks to me), not on what the church tries to "sell" you. And you will find churches who try to do that. But what helped make my decision was whether or not the church members followed basic biblical principles...LOVE. I don't believe it matters what church you go to. But being true to yourself and attending a church (or no church) that feeds you the most is what's important. I think that is all God is concerned with...whether His children are listening to Him. Through Methodist, Baptist, or Catholic ears I doubt matters to Him. He just wants us to LOVE Him.

Best wishes and prayers for you,

Andi

PM me if you ever want to talk!

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Go to a non-denominational church. That's what I go to. I prefer a church that has no hang-ups about denominations and hates the word "religion" but rather "relationship" with God through his Son Jesus Christ.

'nuff said...

Yizuman

• rondoggy
    rondoggy

I wondered the same thing. I asked around and prayed. The Holy Spirit led my wife and I to a Southern Baptist Church that we love.

We also enjoy accompanying friends of ours ( most exJw's) to various churches. One in particular is a Methodist Church. The Body of Christ includes the various denominations.

It is just nice to be free from the darkness that is contained in the walls of the Watchtower.

Praise God. Let him choose where he would want you to attend.

Ron

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Hi there,

I've also given thought to going to check out a few of the local churches.

My two reasons are:

My two children (5 and 10) want reassurance that there is a good, grander power that made life and the world...and my older daughter who is 10 years has asked to attend a Sunday School. She knows of some other children in her regular school who attend a Sunday School. They have Christmas plays that they rehearse for and other age appropriate activities that they participate in. I see no harm in that. Anything that they are taught will only expand their understanding of other belief systems (they are only familiar with the JW belief system.)

Ultimately, I will encourage them to be true to themselves and to be open-minded as to what church ---if any---they want to join when they are older.

YoursChelbie

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions. When I go to the worship center I am thinking about , I will go alone the first time before I even think of taking the little ones. I will let them decide if they want to go. My hubby and Jake ( 16 yr old) probably are not going right now. My son has been to church with friends and I was proud that he wasnt so turned off by his JW experience that he was too afraid to go, he went mainly for his friends but he did enjoy some parts of it.

Billygoat I thought alot about you when I thought of this post, about how happy you are with the church you choose, and I know you well enough from the post you have written that you are a very levelheaded person and I always enjoy you soooooooo much for your spirituality, and so much more.

What you said Billygoat reminded me of a line that Dolly Parton said in Steel Magnolia's...............she was trying to get someone to go to church with her instead of the girls regular church, and the girl said, I dont know, I should go to mine..........Dolly said.........." hon, God's doenst care what church you go to,,,as long as you show up" lol , something like that.....I think she is right.

I really don't think church is somethign for everyone, and I definatly dont think it is neccessary in order to have a relationship with Jesus. I think it is just a way to make you feel good, to associate with others, the community and just to help you to express your spiritually in a public way. But who knows I might see it is not for me, or I just might like it,,,,,,,,, I will let yall know.

• dannywalsh
    dannywalsh

hi lyin eyes good question , its pretty confusin out there in the ex jw religious world isnt it ,some say one way some say another , i would suggest that you ask god to guide you and leave it to him .as a christian i believe jesus when he said in john 14 v14 that if you ask me anything in my name i will do it .so just try it out and ask that he lead you into all truth you wont be disappointed -danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit