If you decided to try a church, which one would you try?and why?

by LyinEyes 45 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Unlike some here on the forum, who have tried other religions since having left the Borg. I did most of my Church hopping before I entered.

All claim they have the truth but having been involved with......Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic and Methodist, I believe they are all full of crap.

I no longer believe the Bible is from God. I feel is just a book written by a bunch of men who wanted to control the people. I do however believe that Jesus was real although not the son of "God". I feel he is as some Jewish people describe him..........A good ole Jew boy who meant well. The Bible has to many contradictions to actually be something we should follow as absolute truth. Although I do feel that their are some truths found in the Bible.

My next stop is Paganism. I like what I have been hearing about it so far and seem to be drawn to it.

• Deist
    Deist

Read the book, "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine then reflect on the question of church. Organized religion, Paine wrote, was "set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." However he expressed belief in God in a simple theology or philosophy of Deism.

"God exists and there it lies.", he expressed.

People "congregate" or get together for all sorts of reasons. Church attendance appeals to those who need a sense of identity or association in addition to seeking guidance. But for those on this forum who are skeptical of organized religion, or so-called "revealed" religion, why be ensnared again? Despite being critical of pious fraud and religion, Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson believed in simple Deism which meant discovering God through nature and reason and rejecting the superstitious myths of supernatural religion. Doubting Thomas'? Maybe, but these and other freethinkers attributed much greater natural goodness and decency to common people than does the so-called "word of god" or the Bible. Remember being drilled "...the heart of man is bad from his youth up"? I suppose, after being indroctrinated in this demoralizing and cynical thinking, people would "act bad". Jefferson felt that people had a greater capacity to do good and expressed his disdain for organized religion's negative effect as such:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned: yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."
    -Notes on the State of Virginia (1781-82)

Yet, Jefferson fought for religious freedom, freethought and freewill. The WTS should give him credit. I doubt Jefferson would give the same regard to the WTS. Anyway, my response to this question would be, as Thomas Paine put it, "My own mind is my own church." I would further add, being a decent human being is my sense of identity.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I hope i didn't sound like i was encouraging anyone to join anything. I had my fill of christian churches during a period of 2 yrs (though i never joined anything) after exiting the wt. The title is about trying a church.

I may check out a tibetan buddhist church, or whatever they call it. Certainly not joining.

SS

• Introspection
    Introspection

You know, ultimately if you're free of organized religion or whatever, it wouldn't matter if you joined or didn't join, just as it wouldn't matter if you stay or leave. Now if it's the kind of organization like the JWs where it's all about conforming in some way, there's certainly no reason to even get involved. But the point is if they don't twist your arm about it, then any aversion you have to joining something is just a manifestation of how hooked you are or get in your mind. Of course if you do have reservations then it's good to recognize that they're there, it may very well be that for many it's best that they don't 'join' anything considering where they're at.

At times it seems like some of us may feel we need to get people out by telling them all the problems there are, and there are certainly plenty of problems in the WTS. I think ultimately, though, the thing to do is not so much creating an attitude of I need to get away from the witnesses or whatever, but for the person to recognize that they are free to leave. Having an aversion to something is the same as being attracted to something, it's the same behavior reversed. While this may seem like an obvious statement, people usually think they're doing something different by turning it around. There is a middle ground where you can just try and even get involved to some degree if you want, that's where you're just free of it all.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Lyineyes,

Do whatever brings peace to your heart. I have tried going to a church and my daughters go, but it seems to be just a social activity for most people. There is the same old crap in them all. Your relationship to God is personal, don't let anyone control it for you. I didn't find it very fulfilling for me. It was enjoyable at times but didn't satisfy me spiritually. I'm still working on that. Good luck on your journey.

Ken P.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I did one of those on-line surveys and found out I was a prime candidate for Liberal Quakers. I often think about attending a Quaker service. A college professor acquaitance told me he went to the Quakers as soon as Gulf War II started to find solice. I may give it a try just to see what it is like.

Thirdson

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have tried an Anglican church but found too much ritual for my tastes. Same with Catholic

I have been to a United church but found it filled with white haired people in fur coats - not for me - I didn't feel like I could find a comfort level (not that there is anything wrong with white-haired ladies in fur coats)

I have spoken about cults at a Unitarian church. I felt pretty comfortable with no pressure - mind you I was the speaker for the day so the situation was a tad different.

Think for now I like the nature thing

• JustUs
    JustUs

CHURCH???? I DON' NEED NO STINKIN CHURCH

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Why not try reading the Bible? Get Jesus' point of view. The WTBS has done a thorough job taking Jesus out of the picture. He's not just a go-between between us and God.

I'd like to recommend a good book Joshua by Joseph Girzone. It's Christian fiction but it will help you to get into the mind of Christ. He had a lot to say about organized religion.

I was disfellowshipped 17 years ago just for wanting to follow scripture and for defending others against the abuse of elders. That's the only way they could shut me up.

Needless to say, like many others, I was depressed for a number of years, even on the verge of suicide. (five years)

Going to a church was one of the most difficult steps but it was a good step. I started visiting non-demoninational churches but most of them were so big; that scared me. There's even one here in Columbus that reaches out to help young ex-witnesses. Problem is, I've seen controlling traits in that group. That scares me even more.

My little church is Faith Covenant Evangelical. We are a praying church. We can discuss anything using the Bible. Needless to say, I get some funny looks at times but I don't feel rejected nor am I chastised. It is good to have a church family but it is not necessary to be acceptable to God.

The main point to remember is Religion is not Important; People are. Religion has caused much damage, even to turn individuals completely away from God. If you can't visit a church, Pray. When you're ready, you will be able to take the next step.

Again, I hope you will look into the book Joshua. It's not a textbook; it's a novel. It certainly changed my life recently.

-Ohio

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Here is the mission statement of my little church. We do a good job living by this.

We will be a church that gives itself over to prayer first in all things.

We will be a church that teaches the Bible as the Word of God in all church settings.

We will be a church that lvoes and carries each other's burdons through our prayers and actions.

We will be a church that encourages a deep personal relationship with God.

We will be a church that ministers to all people (regardless of age, race or status) as God leads us.

WE will be a church that cares for the needy in our community

We will be a church that financially supports our world-wide ministry through the Evangelical Covenant Church and the Great Lakes Conference.

We will be a church that supports and works cooperatively with local Christian ministries.

We will be a church that grows to no more tha 350-400 in average attendance before planting a new church.

I believe there are many churches out there similar to mine. I don't attend every week nor do I get involved in lots of activities but I Do Know this is my church family. We all need a family go to to for comfort and support. As an ex JW, I know how difficult it is to take the step of walking into what the JWs term "False Religion" The WTBS doesn't want us to discover there are really good people on the outside of the organization; that fear of considering visiting churches was cleverly indoctrinated into us.

It is most important to not give up prayer on a personal basis; nothing fancy. Just be yourself.

Desiring to find a church family is only a natural progression in your spiritual journey.

-Ohio

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit