I am definitely too old for this!!!!!!!

by Mulan 62 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Strap the kid into an outfit like Anthony Hopkins wore in Silence of the Lambs and throw him into the garden shed for a night.

Expatbrit (not parent material)

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Hi Mulan, my sister came over yesterday with her two boys. Wow, those two! The oldest is almost four and the youngest is going on two. When they get tired look out - Constant crying and screaming. Then the youngest was spitting his juice just for the fun of it - boys do love anything they can make a mess with. (My daughters never liked to get dirty but my son was a different story.) There was a large puddle in our neighbors yard and we couldn't keep my nephews away from it.

I agree, I've never seen a kid who doesn't love Oodles of Noodles (Ramen noodles), instead of making them into soup, drain the liquid off before you add the seasoning packet.

• Francois
    Francois

When my kids went through what you describe, I gave them a teaspoon of parageoric in warm milk with sugar. Within a very few minutes they were sleeping like logs

francois

• shera
    shera

Heheheheh Francois,

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Also re potty training, if he has only just started and it wouldn't confuse him too much, I would stick him back in his nappy and carry on with it when he is back into his normal routine.

Agreed!!!!!!! He is back in them. I got sick of taking him potty. Whenever he knew I was going to stop him from doing something, he put his hands on his butt and said he had to go potty.

He talks all the time, and most of it I understand. He was in bed with us again last night, but woke up calling for Grandma. I think he doesn't like being alone................he woke up for the day at 5:30, when Dave got up, and pushed me and said "grandma, get dressed". Moooooooooooannnnnnnnn.

So today I am going to give him a nap about 10.................going for a ride in the car and he will fall asleep.

Naps are usually not a good idea for him because it takes the edge off his sleep and he won't wear out until 10 at night, which I couldn't stand.

I gave them a teaspoon of parageoric in warm milk

Where do you get that?

He woke up hungry today and ate a small box of Froot Loops, and then wanted more, so I gave him Frosted Flakes and he looked at it like it was not edible. Carlie ate that and he settled for Apple Jacks.

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks!!!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Hey Mulan

I hope things settle for you, it sounds as if you have your hands full. I know you were joking about the paregoric but I feel the need to add my 0.02 cents just in case there is someone out there who may think it may be harmless to give a baby a narcotic pain killer.

Paregoric is a narcotic opiate which is primarily used as a pain reliever and anti diarrhea medication. I would not give it to any child if it were not first advised/ prescribed by a physician.

Off my soapbox now, forgive me as I was afraid someone may read this thread and assume paregoric was a harmless substance used for helping babies to sleep.

Hugs

Cassi

• Mulan
    Mulan

Cassi, thanks for the info. I had never heard of it.

A warm bath, with that herbal Johnson and Johnson bath stuff, and a bottle, wrapped in a favorite blankie did the trick last night. I am looking forward to naptime now.

He comes in here and sits next to me while I'm typing, and helps.

The only mischief so far was he found his boots (caked with mud from the back yard), put them on and tromped through the house, to my bedroom where I was making my bed................less than a minute. I had to sweep quite a lot, and put the boots back in the garage and barricade the door.

I am determined this will be an easier day today.

Ozzie, the little bed we have to use for Duncan is in Dave's study, but he went for a few walks. He got home early yesterday and helped me quite a lot, but he was really stressed too. We both agree we've never seen a 2 year old like this one, and we are around him quite a bit. He is definitely different without Mom and Dad here.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hi Mulan,

As a grannie who is missing her grandkids way too much you won't get much sympathy from me, lol. I wish I was with mine right now even thought 3 minutes into the visit I would wonder "am I nuts or sumtin?"

Try an attitude adjustment and consider this a week is a week where your ordinary life is on hold and you are at his mercies! Your job is to entertain him and keep him safe, play, play, play and make his time fun! This is the previlage of being a grandparent. Discipline belongs to the parents, spoiling is the job of grandparents!

I envie you right now........after reading this lastnight I called my two grandkids and jabbered on the phone to them for a long time, I miss them so much!

Katie ((((((((Mulan)))))))))

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hi Mulan,

As a grannie who is missing her grandkids way too much you won't get much sympathy from me, lol. I wish I was with mine right now even thought 3 minutes into the visit I would wonder "am I nuts or sumtin?"

Try an attitude adjustment and consider this a week is a week where your ordinary life is on hold and you are at his mercies! Your job is to entertain him and keep him safe, play, play, play and make his time fun! This is the previlage of being a grandparent. Discipline belongs to the parents, spoiling is the job of grandparents!

I envie you right now........after reading this lastnight I called my two grandkids and jabbered on the phone to them for a long time, I miss them so much!

Katie ((((((((Mulan)))))))))

PS damn how does that double posting happen? Guess I thought it was such good advise I posted it twice, lol.........anyway for the eating part like everyone says he'll eat when he's hungry and for sure when he gets back home he'll make up for lost time. As long as he a bundle of energy he has plenty of "fuel" in him! fuel=food, biker term

• shera
    shera

I understand being careful what you give your children if they are difficult to get to sleep threw out the nite.With doctors orders I have had to give my older daughter(when she was younger) and my son sleeping aides.With my son a few yrs back I was only getting 2 to 3 hours sleep a nite! So glad those days are over.

My 2 yr old has slept threw out the nite sense she has been 2 weeks old.....thankfully

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit