Did you know anyone who commited suicide in the org?

by JH 69 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

In my KH in CZ we had elderly woman. She was good friend of my mom, usually sitting next to her. We also spent time at assembly in Prague-Strahov in 1991. She had first suicide attempt by stepping in front of local single street train car, which catapulted her off the side, horrible crippling her. Couple months later, she destroyed all her personal items, cut her cloths, and killed her self at home.

I know a case when entire family drove south of Prague to the river, put rubber hose through window into the exhaust pipe and killed themselves. Man, woman, and two of their children. Several year later, different family in different KH did the same. Both cases were covered by national media.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

What a sad, terrible thread and it is horrible there are so many incidents of suicide in the bOrg.

In our hall, one older brother tried to kill himself by taking an overdose. He was in a coma for awhile but did survive. He was very lonely and had a disfellowshipped son whom he missed very much. His son came to visit him in the hospital after his suicide attempt which greatly cheered him up. But he fell into a deep depression again after that as he felt so guilty about having contact with his son.

We don't know what has happened to this brother now, last we heard, he was living alone and still going to meetings, still clinging to the "truth" and shunning his only son ...

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

There was another tragic circumstance in our hall when a young sister bled to death following complications during childbirth, their baby died too. The husband was beside himself with grief and placed on suicide watch in psychiatric care. Nobody in the hall comforted him much as he was seen as "weak" by showing such extreme grief.

This terrible situation still eats at me and tears me apart, as I was one of those cold-hearted, brainwashed idiot dubs who also believed he was weak and was not putting enough faith in Jehovah and trust in the resurrection hope.....

Oh these are hurtful memories....

.... if there is a god, may God damn the Watchtower.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Thanks for bumping this thread GM.

These are the kind of threads that wake people up or at least make them see the reality of some inhumane WTS practices and where they lead to.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

This is so shocking and sad, but not really surprising considering the guilt and oppression this religion puts on people.

a friend of a friend threw himself off a road bridge, reading between the lines it sounds like he might have been fighting homosexuality, how many more young men must there be like that?

I think there should be a jw 'memorial' website, listing all those who have committed suicide, experiences, wherever possible backed up with names and dates, obituaries etc.

A page for those who've died because of the blood issue

And a page listing experiences of those who Have suffered physical or sexual abuse within the confines of the organisation.

surely this would wake people up.

• Clambake
    Clambake

There was a lady in our hall, maybe about 45 years old. She came from an uber family and wasn’t much to look at. Not saying that it matters but when the sex ratio is 60-65%-40-35% female to male, as a female you need to have everything going for you.

She worked as a janitor and pioneered most of her life. She would never consider marrying outside the lord or borg. I guess all she every really wanted was a husband and children. I guess when menopause finally came it was all too much.

Kind of a blessing in disguise. Some of the younger ones in this uber family weren’t pushed into baptism after that and are still out.

• Warwickslave
    Warwickslave
    Almost 20 years ago my friend committed suicide he was 17 years old he had committed fornication. He wrote a letter saying he was not going to make it to paradise becouse of the sin. 20 years later still no paradise his parents left the JW's years later. This cult has taking to many life's.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes I've known two, both were young teens who were overly anxious and depressed by the WTS selling of 1975 being the end of the world . The WTS. callously sold this to the public and some children and impressionable adolescents took it too real and consuming.

One young fellow where I used to live hung himself in a garage behind a Kingdom Hall,

I guess one shouldn't expect the poorly educated corrupt idiots who run the Watchtower Corporation to know about human psychology !

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Just like the OP, I knew a brother about 19 years old who hung himself over another JW girlfriend of his who broke up with him. He wrote a letter to her stating that he couldn't live with out her. The details were not stated to me at the time since I was going through the baptismal questions in 1991. I really felt bad for him. The girl simply moved on with her life. And now it's been more than 24 years since that time. If he would have not chosen suicide as an option I'm sure he would have recovered 100 times by now. I know I have suffered suicidal thoughts many times in my life due to times and situations, but have always managed to pull through. I don't know all the circumstances that surround the poor fellow. I just feel for him even now.
  • sparky1
    sparky1

Here is a suicide from the '70s that many Bethelites remember and SHOULD NEVER FORGET! 42 years ago.

I did not know Jim but his brother Marvin was my roommate.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/129592/my-bethel-esperience-part-19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit