Did you know anyone who commited suicide in the org?

by JH 69 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Back in 1991, a young brother maybe 18 years old living next to my place committed suicide. His father expected him to be very zealous just like he was, but the son never wanted to be like that. He was always controlled by his father. This 18 year old was shy and I guess wasn't at ease as a JW. He hung himself in his house. I never knew about this until a person admitted it many years after.

I knew of another older brother, maybe 55 who was DF'd and he wanted to come back, but the elders didn't want him to come back, and finally he also committed suicide.

In one case a suicide because he wasn't happy being a witness, and on the in the other case a suicide because he wasn't aloud to come back in the org...

I guess they make no public mention to the congregation if there is a suicide.

Does anyone remember if the JW teach that those who committed suicide will not resurrect?

Did you know people who committed suicide in your congregation?

• blondie
    blondie

A brother in his 30's with a wife and 2 kids, elder, couldn't take the "stress" and hung himself. He had been my book study conductor before he moved. He really practiced what he preached when it came to helping people. I guess no one was there to help him.

A young man in his 20's, his wife had cheated on him, he got into drugs and was DF'd. He lived with his parents and tried to get clean on his own. His JW parents didn't believe in counseling. He was found in his parents garage, asphyxiated.

A sister with 2 children suffering with a chronic mental illness that medication was not helping. Only one elder took the time to help her and nearly burnt out himself. He couldn't get any other elders to go with him (he had to take a non-elder brother and have him sit in sight but out of hearing). OD'd on her prescription medication. Her children were farmed out to 2 different families.

A brother of the anointed, married, 3 children, felt he had committed the unforgivable sin. Hung himself in the basement and was found by his wife. That was when suicide was considered something you would not be resurrected from by the JWs.

Blondie

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

hanging is considered a method of suicide that denotes shame. hmmmmm

Gary Leonard Kreider 1996, Downey North congregation, Downey, California. He borrowed the money from an elder to buy the rope and hardware.

Ravyn

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

[all individuals referred to were and still are JW's]

I had been dating a young sister in 1983 for a few months {now my wife} when her brother-in-law went missing. He was in his mid twenties, a bit of loner but pleasant enough company. He was heavily into the 'Truth' and did a lot of deep research into the Bible. I've been told that he considered himself anointed, one of the 144,000, but of course was just labeled as 'weird'. I didn't really get to know him too well - not enough time - but looking back, he may simply have wanted to partake of the emblems at the Memorial.

Weeks later his decomposing body was discovered in a wooded area in the local countryside. He had been living there in a kind of nest, alone and cold, waiting for death to take him. No pills, no knives, no alcohol - he wanted to suffer.

His family still do not want to talk about what happened - it continues to hurt them.

Nic'

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My Mother was d/f for only 4 months for smoking , had just gotten out of drug rehab for prescription drug abuse that went on for years........ with no help or concern for from the elders, Dad was an elder, so it was swept under the rug. She felt she had committed the unforgivable sin and was full of shame, guilt and I can only imagine her saddness. She jumped from a high bridge , and drown in the RedRiver.

A brother's wife left him and he became somewhat inactive, he set his house on fire and shot himself.

A brother was accidently shot in a hunting accident and was confinded to a wheelchair ,,,,, he became depressed over not being able to do as much as he had before in Jehovahs service and shot himself.

A young sister, leaves home, sick of her overbearing mother, and although everyone is not 100% sure, it was suicide, she was going very fast around a curve and hit a tree , no seat belt. I knew her personally and she was a pioneer from the age of 9 her mother was very strick and she had just gotten into some trouble for the very first time in her life, she was 18.

A brother 's wife was cheating on him with his JW best friend and he locks himself in his car and shots himself. They found him days later.

This is so sad , a very sad thing that people can't get the help they need, because they are encouraged to rely on elders who have no training in depression, and couldnt give any good advice whatsoever.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

((((((((((((((((((( LyinEyes )))))))))))))))))))

• JH
    JH

There are so many sad stories. ((((((((LyinEyes))))))))

• Undecided
    Undecided

I can only recall one sister who killed herself. Don't remember how though.

Ken P.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

A middle school teacher advised a father his son needed mental help, which was frowned upon in those days. The boy never got the help for something that might have been a simple chemical imbalance in the brain.. At the age of 29 he commited suicide by cutting his wrists and bleeding to death.

The suicide was my nephew, the father, my brother, and this is something I think about almost every day.

• avishai
    avishai

Then there's also people like Robert Bryant that killed their whole family & themselves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit