Did you know anyone who commited suicide in the org?

by JH 69 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I personally knew 2. They were both young men who had appeared very holy and had a lot of family expectation upon them.

One of them, the last time I saw him, had three day old dried blood all down the front of his shirt and ants crawling in every orifice in his head. He shot himself in the mouth with a 22 rifle. Apparently, it being a small calibre gun the bullet skimmed around the inside of his skull 3 times before coming to rest. The word was that he didnt die immediately, not a nice thought.

The other was a fine friend of mine. He didnt mess around and used a double barrelled shotgun, sticking it under his chin. He drove into the woods, turned the stereo up full blast, and then pulled the triggers.

He was splattered all over the car.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Neither of them did it in their house. They didnt want to make a mess.

They didnt want to inconvenience anyone.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

I knew of five: An older sister who was looked up to by many as a model JW who endured a serious illness which involved the blood issue. Years later she was found in the garage with the car running. She did not leave a note.

A brother who was about 39 years old with two children and a wife who was not a JW was found in his car with a hose stuck in the window. He left a note saying something about not being able to live with the stress of being in a divided household, refering to his wife.

A young man about 25 who was studying with an elder friend of mine hung himself in his back yard. He was battling drug abuse and was being told by this elder to just concentrate on the "truth" and his life will turn around for the better, no more worries...blah, blah..As I stated, I knew the guy he was studying with and sat in on a few of the study's he had with him. What the guy needed was direction to professional help, but that was "forbiden"..what a waste. The guy's older sister was a JW and she was feeding him the same crap about the "Truth" being the answer to his drug addiction.

Tink's Dad shot himself a month after we got married, in their living room right in front of her mother. He was never a witness, but made many attempts to try and become one. He was constantly pressured to change his life by joining. His health was very bad and was in danger of having both his feet amputated due to diabetes. His last words to her mother was, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired".

Tink's brother's wife had a twin brother to shoot himself. He got involved with someone in another country and got caught. He shot his self the day before he was going to have to go to a judicial committee.

Those are only the cases I knew personally about. I have however, heard of countless others who for the most part suffered from depression or just couldn't take the pressure from being involved with the JW religion. It's very sad to say the least.

CC

• shera
    shera

How sad...all these people probley thought they weren't good enough and felt they couldn't do enough for God.Perhaps they felt their lives were doomed anyways.The stress that cult does to people.

That cult makes me ILL!

• shera
    shera

((((((everyone))))))) whos lives were touched this.

• Rado Vleugel
    Rado Vleugel

I personally knew one. This person had some psychiatric problems. In neighboring congregations I heard of more cases (+/- 5).

Rado Vleugel The Netherlands
    http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget

I know this is 12 years old topic, but I cannot resist posting in it myself.

I personally know 5 (have at least talked to all):

My own father (not talked to him since I was 2 years old when it happened, but obviously proven that has happened and that he existed). Overdosed on medication.

One who I knew before he was baptized. Had lots of mental issues and he was plain weird. Everyone made fun of him because of that, me included. Now that I look back, maybe I was too rough but who knows what's the real reason, if any. Anyway, he had his own written rules about how things should be done. I was the one who had to take his shit before he got his medication and he found out other people to text to. Obviously didn't figure out his own ways. Jumped off a roof of a building.

One shy guy who married a sister that had a kid. I am in the belief they they either got a divorce or they had some problems in their marriage, thus husband killed himself. Method unknown...

One married guy who was known by basically everybody. Always making fun of either other people or trying to show he's such a cool and fun guy to be around. Jumped in front of a train.

One guy who I emotionally helped after he had gone through judicial committee and he later thanked me for that. Once he bullied me with other witnesses I knew, but I don't hold that against him. He was very nice but mentally ill and ended up killing himself. Most likely overdosed.

• kp138
    kp138

My dad committed suicide. He was the most devout, sincere JW I knew and was a great man. It came as an unbelievable shock, obviously.

I've always felt being a JW contributed to his depression and ultimate decision to end his life. He didn't take care of his health and went into major debt because Armageddon was SO close and didn't expect to be an old man. Sad, I miss him.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

One young brother I grew up with drove up to the mountains and shot himself in the head.

Another sister I pioneered with in my teens, stopped her subscription to the WT/G, fashioned a hose to her exhaust pipe and gassed herself.

A young woman stopped her car on the side of the interstate and stepped out in front of a semi-truck.

Another drank himself to death.

There are others.

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    My dad committed suicide.
    I wonder how many of the loving witnesses tell you that he won't be resurrected into paradise because of this unforgivable sin? Personally I heard this always when I was publicly wondering it. So loving of them to judge a person who they never knew; who I never knew.

I never really even knew mine so it's impossible for me to even understand the concept of a actual father existing (bad or good for that matter)... But it is sad to think many others have died by their own hand and other people judge that they never get resurrected while jumping into their expensive sport cars and drive off. Others having "perfect" families and parents buying them everything... I hate witnesses.

Well, luckily I don't believe into the paradise anymore so now I know these same people are still wasting their pathetic lives into this same crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit