Did you know anyone who commited suicide in the org?

by JH 69 Replies latest jw friends

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

kp138...that is sad. So sorry for the devastation that must have caused you.

So many sad experiences.

We know of one young brother (df'd) that committed suicide. It was kept VERY hush hush. He was the son on a "prominent" Elder/Jdub and it was kept very quiet. Used the KH for the memorial service. Things that make you go Hmmm! The average JW (rank and file) would not be able to use the KH for the memorial. Membership has it's priveledges!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Knew a young man who got in a serious car accident and needed blood to survive. He refused.

That's suicide in my book.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I know of five or more. It's not a religion that is kind, especially to those who suffer from depression or any other mental illness.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    When I was a kid, there was a man at our hall that my parents were friendly with. One night, I hear my parents talking that he killed himself. I naively said "Well, he will be resurrected in the New System!" and my Mom (gently) rebuked me and said "You don't get resurrected if you kill yourself." (On a side note, I swear I heard them say he had "slashed his lips with a drill in his basement", which would be a particularly complicated and gruesome way to kill yourself. It wasn't till a few years later, that I found out that he had "slashed his wrists". I don't know how I got a drill into the mix...)

A few years ago, an elderly brother at our Hall got addicted to pain medication, and could not kick that monkey off his back. So, one day, he went to the back yard, sat on his riding lawn mower, and shot himself. And, even though they would not have a funeral talk at the Hall, the PO (or whatever he is called now) gave the "funeral talk" at the funeral home, and it was a gentle, kind talk about the man. (I think this brother was the elder that was trying to help him with his addiction.)

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I've known many. Either teens who didn't really want to be witnesses but had too much family pressure, or people whose lives weren't perfect when they were expected to be perfect, or mental issues that weren't addressed correctly.
  • Alive!
    Alive!

In my KH there have been three horrific suicides by hanging in just 20 years, a sister in our KH lost a brother ( an elder) to suicide and sadly, there have been others in our circuit.

In my KH we have lost at least 6 born in teenagers of pioneering born in families ( that I know of) to prostitution and death dealing drug abuse....

(((((((( hugs))))))))) to all those who lost their loved ones.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have known a couple of J.W.`s in Sth. East Qld and in Victoria , who took there own lives , its very sad and tragic.

smiddy

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Oompa. RIP.

• kairos
    kairos

I've personally known two JWs that have killed themselves.

Back in the late 80's when I first joined up, a young lady in her early twenties used a shotgun while sitting in her car. It made no sense at the time. We spent time with her and her husband on fishing/camping trips. She was not yet baptized. Her husband ( widower ) never spoke of it and later would move to Alaska.

Recently while we were at the last Tahoe meet-up we got word that a JW man in his 30s overdosed on pain meds. He had been abusing them for quite some time while desperately attempting to pioneer or reach for MS.

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    Her husband ( widower ) never spoke of it and later would move to Alaska.
    No wonder. Imagine the wife gossip and memories walking around the same streets.
    Even I get the memories of witnesses for walking in this city and would like to move to different city whenever possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit