What are you making for dinner?

by riz 41 Replies latest jw friends

• riz
    riz

Ravyn- do you get the food network on tv? I like the show '30 minute meals' and I often make for dinner what Rachael Ray made on the show that day. Yesterday she made pasta shells and homemade sauce.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

yum Lady Lee!

and yes Riz I get Rachel Ray's show on Food channel. isn't she great?

my home made sauce has to be authentic because I am married to an Italian--but I have figured out some short cuts.

I buy the frozen bags of already chopped 'seasoning mix' which is onion, celery, parsley, and red peppers; and already chopped green pepper, I use garlic in a jar(I know it is not as good as the fresh stuff---but I can't touch garlic or I smell like it for weeks!) and I use....big secret here.....ready?

Wampler's brand ground turkey and turkey sausage--a roll of each(77 cents for a pound roll at Walmart!)

then I use a can of Del Monte Garlic and Onion flavor tomato sauce and a can of Del Monte Green Pepper and Mushroom sauce. I figure why go to all the trouble if you can buy it already done now-adays.

I brown the meat--needs olive oil since turkey has not fat. I put in about a tablespoon each of Italian herbs-basil, oregano, parsley, and sometimes a dash of anise extract and a couple of shot glasses of red wine(make sure this is added to the meat before you add anything else while it is browning). add the seasoning mix and peppers and garlic, cook with lid on pot for about 15 minutes. Then add the two cans of sauce and simmer for about another 20 minutes. I only use Barilla brand pasta--which cooks faster than most--do not over-cook! And voila! Authentic 21 st century pasta and tomato 'gravy'!

And NO ONE in his family has ever guessed the meat is turkey! They don't have a clue! (It is THAT good--you gotta try it!)

Sometimes I will do it the old fashioned way, but it turns out just as well if I 'cheat'.

Ravyn

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ravyn I was married to an Italian for 15 years (the JW) and learned home made is the only way. I love the way it makes the house smell. I usually make big batches of it (enough for 6 -8 meals) and then freeze it.

I just might try that turkey meat if I can find it here in Canada

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Hey englishman!

what is mange toute? does that mean 'eat-it-all-up'?

we should start a thread for recipes so I can print it out.... hint hint....

we could do an XJW cookbook, sell em on ebay and fund the forum for Simon!

Ravyn

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

yes Lady Lee, maybe if I ever get back into a traditional kitchen situation I will do it again the long way. But right now we just moved into a small house(nice but small) and I have no table or chairs and boxes everywhere and counter space taken up by more boxes and well, since it is just me and hubby and the furry babies---well I cheat. When his family comes to visit I make it more traditional, but I still use the ground turkey. If I made a big batch it would get freezer burn before we could use it all up. I wish I had a freezer too...just got the one on the fridge and it is small. I would love to can some sauce. If I ever get my dream house(and dream kitchen) I got BIG plans!

Ravyn

• riz
    riz

wow- thanks for the recipe, Ravyn! I will definitely make that. And I think the cookbook is a great idea

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK you have some interesting ideas here.

Check this out

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/52465/1.ashx

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

just a (very delicious) salad - I have to loose some weight..... CW

• azaria
  • azaria
    azaria

All I had was a cheese omelet. When my daughter isn't home I don't really cook. I had thought of making a Dutch slaatje (salad), with a good piece of bread and a glass of white wine, but maybe tomorrow, and if the sun is shining, out on my balcony. What a life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit