Need Help: My Correspondence with the Headquarters

by Lobsto 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Scolly - Your listing of the reigns of the Babylonian Kings is falsified by the biblical seventy years which proves that there is a 20 year Gap between Neo-Babylonian Chronology and Bible Chronology.

OK. I'll bite. (Even though the Bible is a load of old crap that people take way too much notice of).

Where abouts are you specifically talking about in the list?

• johnamos
    johnamos

quote - The fact is that the biblical evidence proves that 607 BCE is the only possible date for the Fall of Jerusalem - end quote

For 607 to be the date for the fall of Jerusalem then 629 has to be the date used for the fall of Assyria.

609 Haran fell

605 Nebuchadnezzar becomes king

587 18 years later destroys Jerusalem

629 Haran fell

625 Nebuchadnezzar becomes king

607 18 years later destroys Jerusalem

So if you believe 607 is the year Jerusalem fell then you believe 629 is the year for the fall of Assyria, so do you understand that that means Babylon was ruling from 629-539, 90 years.

Jeremiah 25:11 states that the nations would only have to serve Babylon 70 years, that's why we can say that 609 is the correct date for the fall of Assyria which would mean Babylon ruled from 609-539, 70 years and that also means that the fall of Jerusalem was in 587.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Johnamos

So clear and succinct. 😊

• LeeT
    LeeT

Scholar

"you [Doug] do not provide an alternative so unless you can argue for a better date your criticisms although interesting have little value."

Why does Doug need to back a different horse? All he's doing is pointing out that the three-legged nag which is due for the knackers yard which you have placed your money on isn't going to win the race.

• LeeT
    LeeT

Scholar

Your listing of the reigns of the Babylonian Kings is falsified by the biblical seventy years which proves that there is a 20 year Gap between Neo-Babylonian Chronology and Bible Chronology. The fact is that the biblical evidence proves that 607 BCE is the only possible date for the Fall of Jerusalem"

What makes equate the beginning of 70 years with the destruction of the temple rather than the beginning of a period of Babylonian dominance?
    What is the period in which "these nations" served Babylon for 70 years?

You are aware you are putting your faith, not in the Bible, but in the WT Society (and their uncelebrated scholars) interpretation of it aren't you?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Right on LeeT

Faith in men who prove themselves wrong time and again.

Faith that is not in God and the Bible, but men and their word.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, there is a God !!!

I know so because I had a dream that kept repeating. As I was constantly trying to post to this thread, I kept hearing a voice for afar telling me that this thread was a dwelling place for demons ... and a lurking place for every unclean and hated bird.

Rub a Dub

• scholar
    scholar

johnamos

So if you believe 607 is the year Jerusalem fell then you believe 629 is the year for the fall of Assyria, so do you understand that that means Babylon was ruling from 629-539, 90 years

So What, let chips fall where they may!!!'

Jeremiah 25:11 states that the nations would only have to serve Babylon 70 years, that's why we can say that 609 is the correct date for the fall of Assyria which would mean Babylon ruled from 609-539, 70 years and that also means that the fall of Jerusalem was in 587

Jer. 25:11 applies to Judah along with other nations or peoples that had to serve Babylon a full 70 years which ended after Babylon fell in 539 BCE for the following verse, v. 12 is now addressed to Babylon. So the focus has shifted from Judah as described from vs. 1-11 and shifts to Babylon as described in vs. 12-14 then from vss, 15-38 the judgement message is now addressed to the other nations.

So, the subject or focus of Jer. 25:11 is not any serving to Babylon but the Land of Judah as shown by the immediate context from vs.9. Also, the 70 years in some Bibles is mentioned at the beginning of the text rather than the end which helps the reader to get the sense of this text.

scholar

• scholar
    scholar

LeeT

What makes equate the beginning of 70 years with the destruction of the temple rather than the beginning of a period of Babylonian dominance?
    What is the period in which "these nations" served Babylon for 70 years?

Simple. It is Jeremiah's judgement message addressed to Judah of the Desolation of the Land which is described in some detail in Jer. 25:9-11. It cannot be a period of Babylonian domination because we cannot determine a precise year as a beginning of that Period. Was it 609 or 605 BCE for even COJ is confused about the matter shown by comparing his discussion of both dates in his 3rd and 4 the edn of his GTR.

The focal text of the context is vs 9 which states that he judgement would be brought against the Land-its inhabitants and the surrounding nations all of which would become desolate and made to serve Babylon for a period of 70 years. Interestingly, the LXX omits any reference to the King of Babylon in that vs.11.

Jer. 25: demands careful exegesis which I have done in consultation with leading technical Bible commentaries and studies of the scholarly literature all of which I have done and will continue to do for I have a Passion for Jer. 25:11.

scholar

• scholar
    scholar

LeeT

Why does Doug need to back a different horse? All he's doing is pointing out that the three-legged nag which is due for the knackers yard which you have placed your money on isn't going to win the race

I regard Doug as a friend and I have counselled him on his many Studies and his scholarship as to its improvement. Criticism is fine and has its place but when seeks to enter the academic arena then not only must you critique the views of your peers but you must argue your case or thesis in order to be credible and this is where Doug falls short.

scholar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit