Racial Insensitivity

by Coded Logic 127 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's almost inevitable that he has to be - yes, you're quite right. A white cop making the same argument would probably be shouted down as a racist.

I bet David Clarke get abused by some in the 'Black Lives Matter' movement - traitor, Uncle Tom, coconut, etc.

It's just that David Clarke challenging opinions doesn't fit in with the childlike view of Black Lives Matter - that of cops being racist red necks and black people being sweet, innocent darlings. I reckon it's more complex than that, although I'm sure racist, trigger-happy cops is a factor.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't care what what the crime rate is for black people - and you know why? - because I'm talking about people who are UNARMED being shot! - but some of those who are unarmed are criminals, some would reach for the cop's gun, etc.

You should care about this.

• just fine
    just fine

Never a JW- I am a white female, who flies to SLC on a regular basis and I have been pulled into the "special room" to be searched and or interrogated three times. I don't think they are profiling me. In fact I travel often and have had that experience in Las Vegas, Baltimore, and Newark in addition to SLC. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

As far as the rest of this discussion I agree with Simon this time.

• Simon
    Simon

I think some people will see racism as the reason for anything and everything that happens to them because they are taught it, people are being indoctrinated with that notion more and more which is a dangerous and insidious belief.

There was a blog the other day where some woman was bemoaning the 'racism' of the British border security. She was thoroughly convinced that she had been pulled aside because she was black and couldn't accept that it was because she hadn't done her due diligence to make sure she had the right documentation to enter the country (she was going to work but without a proper application / permission). She even gave it away with expressions along the lines of "although there were white people in the holding area as well it was clear to me that they had chosen me because of my color".

If people's claim and expectation of prejudice (when non exists) comes out in their blog article when they have surely had time to think things through before writing it, how must it come through in speech and attitude during encounters with anyone?

At a certain level, the events that happen to people can be the same. The thing that makes the difference is out own belief system about those events. This constant indoctrinated negativity and victimhood mentality can only have a detrimental effect on people's lives.

"We can overcome" and "yes we can" has been replaced with "it's all your fault" and "I can't win". Hardly a recipe for success.

• never a jw
    never a jw

heard on the radio that in the United States they do not collect official statistics on the number of unarmed people killed by police.

I seriously doubt that. Radio is a very vague word

• never a jw
    never a jw

Just fine,

You may be right. I thought of being singled out based on my looks because on that particular day I was the only Hispanic (dark skin and Middle Eastern looks) in the crowd of passengers. But as I said before, I don't mind profiling based on cold data... and yes... my looks definitely correlate with airplane hijacking.

• whathehadas
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There are three types of lies -

1) Lies

2) Damn Lies

3) Statistics

Numbers means nothing if not provided in full context.

The word "unarmed" is misleading.

As a police officer of over a decade I have come close to shooting an unarmed person. In my story, the suspect had a felony warrant for aggravated assault. We Identified ourselves as police and the suspect ran. We chased him into his ex-wife's house and into a small room just inside the entry way.

Once inside he kicked my partner, threw a loose interior door at him and then grabbed my partner's gun. Fortunately for the suspect, I subdued him before he could gain control over the weapon. The suspect went to jail and eventually pleaded guilty to all charges. Everyone else went home safe.

Unarmed does not mean incapable of causing serious bodily injury or death. It just means a person is not in immediate possession of a device which is specifically designed to cause injury or death.

Can you pick up an object and bash a person's head in causing death?

Can you kick a person in the head so hard it causes serious bodily injury or death?

Can you choke someone to the point of causing serious bodily injury or death?

Can you ram a person's head into the pavement until you cause serious bodily injury or death?

etc.

What I tire of is a society that wants immediate action and results. Everyone gets due process, but police officers. A grainy cell phone video showing only a part of an incident played non-stop on social media and big 24/7 cable news networks is all that is needed to convict a police officer. Everyone else is givev the right to a full investigations, due process in a court of law, and the presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

never a jw... The United States keeps statistics on how many police are shot, but not how many people are shot by the police.

Details on this page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36826297

Official data on the number of people killed by the police turns out to be remarkably unreliable. "We can't have an informed discussion, because we don't have data," FBI Director Jawmes Comey said in the House of Representatives in October.

"People have data about who went to a movie last weekend, or how many books were sold, or how many cases of the flu walked into an emergency room. And I cannot tell you how many people were shot by police in the United States last month, last year, or anything about the demographics. And that's a very bad place to be."

• Simon
    Simon

The CDC is not allowed to record statistics on gun violence in general.

Anything that could ever possibly lead to an informed decision being made or that could add weight to any argument on gun control is blocked by the GoP / NRA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit