Racial Insensitivity

by Coded Logic 127 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    There seems to be a fundamental lack of empathy on your part here. Take a moment and put yourself in their shoes. Imagine that there is a very real chance you could be shot by the police without provocation. Imagine saying, "I don't deserve to get shot." And then I say back to you, "Everyone doesn't deserve to get shot." And I proceed to do NOTHING to address or change your predicament. Would that agitate you?

What like "he had his hands up and the cop shot him". Except that's not that happened - it's a false narrative, an utter lie, and the reality is very different. Imagine what it's like to be the cops, accused of all this malpractice when the reality is very different.

I do have sympathy, just with the right people, not a bunch of racist idiots.

I'm more than a bit surprised you're asking me this as I specifically referenced this exact point in the comment your responding to. But no worries, it is again ...
    No, I include them because I have to compare apples to apples. If you have some methodology via which we can identify and remove those numbers from the total for both black AND white persons I'd be interested to see those numbers. But in the mean time, we have to go with the information we have.

Well, we have some actual information and a proper methodology by someone who knows how to do things scientifically rather than look at a total and go "big number bad, small number good". Why not read the study, it will stop you repeating incorrect information.

Not for those of us who actually know how to read Simon. I swear, normally you're a pretty level headed guy. I don't know why you completely lose your ability/desire to comprehend peoples arguments whenever the issues of racial disparity are raised. Take a breather buddy. It's going to be okay.

Ah, the sign of an argument collapsing in on itself. If you actually had the stats and the facts to back up your position then you would present them. You don't. You present misleading numbers that have nothing to do with the issue other than being a grand total of the number of black people and then resort the accusations of racism and insanity.

I am one of the people pointing to research and studies that show solid information, not emotive clap-trap.

UNARMED black people are more likely to be shot by police.UNARMED! NOT "black people are more likely to be shot by the police". Not, "White people with knives and guns are less likely to get shot as black people".

Seriously, can you not read? There is no statistically significant difference in your chance of being shot WHILE UNARMED between being black or white UNLESS the cop is black - then if you are white you are much more likely to be shot.

Also, you are putting too much on the notion of 'unarmed' because an unarmed man fighting with an armed man can become the armed one unless the armed one shoots the unarmed one first. Duh.

And yes, you are taking crazy pills.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wow interesting to see where people on the forum stand.

I'm with coded logic 100%.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Well, this should be interesting...

• never a jw
    never a jw

because I'm talking about people who are UNARMED being shot!

Perhaps you need to put yourself in a police officer's shoes. You have a split second to make a decision. The man that you are trying to arrest refuses to put his hands up and moves them in a suspicious manner. He may pull a knife, he maybe getting his wallet, he may be pulling a fake gun, he maybe pulling a bag full of cocaine, or maybe he is pulling a very real GUN. A decision made in a split second makes the difference between the police officer being with his family later that night or being buried a week later. In a life threatening situation you don't have time to think "I need to make sure that thing is a real gun with real bullets before I shoot".

The most effective way to reduce the number of people police officers shoot is by not getting involved in activities that attract the attention of police officers. In fact, in my 30 years living in the U.S. I have never been a victim of racist profiling or much less a police shooting. In fact, I haven't even been a victim of any violent crime. Have I been lucky? Not at all. My life's activities don't attract police officers, except for the once in a decade traffic violation.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    If you actually had the stats and the facts to back up your position then you would present them. You don't. You present misleading numbers that have nothing to do with the issue other than being a grand total of the number of black people and then resort the accusations of racism and insanity.
    -Simon

If by "stats and facts" do you mean a comprehensive database of news reports and public records that's been compiled into a chart that can be broken down by State, Age, Race, Weapon, etc.? Do you mean something like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

By all means feel free to look at the figures yourself. Scrutinize the evidence. And if you think I've misrepresented the stats in anyway let me know.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Coded logic,

Very interesting information. Allow me to use the numbers in your link

White people killed by police: 494

Black people killed by police: 258

Total killed: 990

White percentage 50 %

Black percentage 26 %

Conclusion (using Coded Logic methodology and the numbers from his posted link)

A white person is almost twice as likely to be shot by police than a black person is.

Is this a good summary of the big picture? Of course not. Many pieces are missing. But I get the hunch that these numbers, if properly analyzed, ultimately would reveal that there is no evidence that police shootings of black people are often racially motivated, as Coded logic and others have suggested. The truth regarding this subject is hard to find, unless we can dig into the brains of every police officer doing the shooting, and that is impossible.

• Simon
    Simon

What coded logic can't seem to get past is that how many black people and how many white people there are in total is irrelevant to the question.

To explain it another way and show why the math is wrong, if black people had lots of babies and their proportion of the population went up or white people stopped having children (for the same effect), it should have no bearing on where too many people are shot or whether a black person is more likely to be shot compared to a white person in the same situation. Except with his logic it would change the stats and make everything OK.

So, what matters is not how many black people are shot as a proportion of the entire population, it's how many black people that are involved in altercations with the police are shot and whether that is a higher or lower rate then for white people. That is a completely different statistic. Here the higher rate of criminality correctly feeds into the results - they are no longer 12% of the population, they are now 50% (or higher) of those in a "could be shot" situation.

And yet as he's highlighted, far fewer are shot vs white people even though they are more likely to be in situations where shootings are a possible outcome.

i.e. they are LESS likely to be shot compared to white people. The complete opposite of the false claims being made by the black lies matter crowd.

#correct math matters

• recluse
    recluse
    not individually, but as a whole, the black race have brought the trouble onto themselves.
  • Zoos
    Zoos

marked

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Im a 40 yr old black male who lives in a community where the average home is 400k.(not bragging just setting the scenario)

I am always asked what am i doing in this neighborhood.

This year i have been pulled over 11 timesi have been asked, "boy what are you doing round here" by a officer atleat 10 years younger than me.

I have been given 6 tickets and 3 points on my license for false charges.

I went to court to fight the charges but it was my word against his so i lost.

I have file complaints... nothing has been done.

I no longer bother trying to explain these situations(with the exception of this post) to other white folks because they think i am making a mountain out of a molehill until they saw me pulled over infront of my own home on the 4th of July weekend and made out to be a criminal in front of my neighbors.

This has happened to me since i was a teenager and many of my black friends have similar stories.

I try to be an unassuming citizen while nearly everyone of my neighbors has a confederate flag and racist lawn ornaments.

Such is life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit