Racial Insensitivity

by Coded Logic 127 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Never a JW,

As I've explained a half dozen times on this forum, I'm talking about UNARMED people. Please look at the numbers relevant to the discussion.

Thank you

--------------

Simon,

I'm glad to see you've moved from the position of "Coded is just making up statistics" to "it's okay more unarmed black people are shot because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time."

But before you go full retard on me again let's see if we can agree on some basics.

1.) Do you now accept that more unarmed black people are shot by police than unarmed white people?

2.) Do you think it's okay for people, white AND black, to be shot by police when they're unarmed?

• Saename
    Saename

Speaking of discrimination... Did anyone know that hatred towards gay people is not "homophobia" but "homomisia"?

• Simon
    Simon
    As I've explained a half dozen times on this forum, I'm talking about UNARMED people. Please look at the numbers relevant to the discussion.

And again, as I've already explained, it's irrelevant - an unarmed man that overpowers an armed man is then the armed man. The way the armed man prevents that happening, if it is a threat, is by shooting.

If you want an example: Michael Brown. Unarmed. Justified shooting.

I'm glad to see you've moved from the position of "Coded is just making up statistics" to "it's okay more unarmed black people are shot because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time."

I've said neither of those things. Your statistics are not made up, they are just irrelevant and don't prove what you think they do and what you claim. My position has not changed one millimeter since this topic started.

And I didn't say they are just in the wrong place at the wrong time (which implies "unlucky" or being targeted). It's more being involved with crime which increases the probability of the kind of police encounter that leads to shooting. Less luck, more bad judgement and life choices.

But before you go full retard on me again let's see if we can agree on some basics.

Please don't make accusations of something that hasn't happened or make personal insults.

1.) Do you now accept that more unarmed black people are shot by police than unarmed white people?

No, because statistics.

2.) Do you think it's okay for people, white AND black, to be shot by police when they're unarmed?

Yes, because people shouldn't attack or assault the police or threaten them or resist arrest. What is the alternative? "please stop, you're under arrest" ... "no" ... "ah well, we tried".

Society could decide that they don't want any people, black or white, to be shot by the police. The only way to do this is to reduce the encounters that happen when police try to enforce the law or have the operational policy to "back off and let them go". The consequence of either or both of these would be a less effective police force and more crime. This will likely impact poorer black neighborhoods disproportionately. But I guess that would be OK, because black lies matter doesn't care about the blacks killed by other blacks so "problem solved".

• never a jw
    never a jw

not individually, but as a whole, the black race have brought the trouble onto themselves.

Not that simple. I would trace the problem to slavery, to civil rights violations, and even more recently, to social policies that reward irresponsible behavior. All these factors have contributed to get young blacks in an inescapable cycle of poverty and crime. I have no problem finding who is at fault. That's easy: male humans and their innate desire for domination. However, we are past that stage of finding the culprits. The big task in front of us is how to go about solving the problem. Ultimately, is up to black leaders to carry the burden to get young people out of their cycle of poverty and crime. The political system and the majority of non-blacks are quite willing to help, but they need to see cooperation from the other side.

• never a jw
    never a jw

silentbudha,

Why do you continue living there?

Confederate flags? the South? Yeah, I have heard that some people there still hold values and ideas that were popular many decades, even centuries ago. Just like old guard JW's, those racists are dying out. The rest of the country is doing much better.

Time to move to another community.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I believe you're referring to Sam Harris. Who argues for racial profiling.

You are right Simon. I think I mixed two different comments from opposite sides of the argument. In this case the comments of a Homeland Security Secretary whose name I can't remember and comments can't find, with Sam Harris' comments..

This reminds me of actually being a victim of racial profiling in the Salt Lake City airport about 8 years ago. I was singled out for an in depth screening while the big number of very white Mormons around me were given a pass. I didn't mind. I happen to have the Middle Eastern look, very much like the guys of the 911 attacks.

Yes, I hope the TSA officers screen me and guys who look like me more often than they screen Betty White. I would feel safer.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/unarmed-south-florida-man-hands-shot-police-video-article-1.2719331

So so please tell me what he did wrong to get shot? Please explain it away....

• never a jw
    never a jw

So please tell me what he did wrong to get shot? Please explain it away...

From the scenes available, there was no reason to shoot him. However, the shooting scene is missing. Big question mark there. Regardless, if this man has a case against the police, go for it. Sue them, teach them a lesson and get the police officer punished. You got my support (after I see the actual scene of the shooting confirming an unjustified action). Just don't extrapolate this case to conclude that white police officers who shoot on black people are unjustified and racist. Each case is different. Even this case may be a case of incompetence more than racial animosity. Not sufficient evidence yet.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

When talking about statistics it's important to remember that what the state chooses to count in the first place is in itself a highly political choice.

It's like JWs collecting information on hours spent on the ministry, magazine placements, and even downloads and views these days. They don't however publish the number DFed, although they have access to that information. Nor do they keep record of people who commit suicide after being DFed, although they could easily do so if they wished. Collecting and publishing such information would not serve their interests.

I heard on the radio that in the United States they do not collect official statistics on the number of unarmed people killed by police. These figures need to be collected and collated unofficially by groups advocating change.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"black people are more likely to commit violent crimes?"

Now THAT was a statement!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit