Racial Insensitivity

by Coded Logic 127 Replies latest social current

• LV101
    LV101

Yes, I'd heard Fryer's report few wks. ago and was shocked. Cops kill more whites than blacks according to evidence.

Hillary didn't even have the latest facts few days ago and was saying incorrect info.

• Simon
    Simon

Fascinating study, and a lesson in proper statistical interpretation vs simplistic "facts" that miss most of the story.

"Blacks are 23.8 percent less likely to be shot by police, relative to whites. Hispanics are 8.5 percent less likely to be shot but the coefficient is statistically insignificant."

"For white officers, the probability that a white suspect who is involved in officer-involved shooting has a weapon is 85.1% percent. The equivalent probability for blacks is 81%. A difference of 4%, which is not statistically significant. For black officers, the probability that a white suspect who is involved in an officer-involved shooting has a weapon is surprisingly lower, 62.5%. The equivalent probability for black suspects is 74%. The only statistically significant differences by race demonstrate that black officers are more likely to shoot unarmed whites, relative to white officers."

What we should be talking about is the much higher rate of shooting unarmed white people by black cops!

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    There are numerous examples of people becoming very 'agitated' if someone uses the expression "ALL lives matter".
    -Simon

There seems to be a fundamental lack of empathy on your part here Simon. Take a moment and put yourself in their shoes. Imagine that there is a very real chance you could be shot by the police without provocation. Imagine saying, "I don't deserve to get shot." And then I say back to you, "Everyone doesn't deserve to get shot." And I proceed to do NOTHING to address or change your predicament. Would that agitate you?

So whatever list of cases you want to copy and paste is really irrelevant - would it be negated if we posted a list of white people shot?
    I'm more than a bit surprised you're asking me this as I specifically referenced this exact point in the comment your responding to. But no worries, it is again: African American's only represent 12% of the US population compared to whites who make up over 61% of the US population. Yet, when we look at the numbers of unarmed people shot by the police, 32 of them were white and 38 of them were black. This means that an unarmed black person is 6 times more likely to be shot by the police than unarmed white person is.
    Why do you include them in the numbers? To pad things out?

No, I include them because I have to compare apples to apples. If you have some methodology via which we can identify and remove those numbers from the total for both black AND white persons I'd be interested to see those numbers. But in the mean time, we have to go with the information we have.
    The Dallas shooter will now be included in "black man killed by cops" no doubt . . .
    (face palm) These number are only "unarmed" individuals who were shot by the police
    . . . a perfect example of why looking at a raw total isn't enough to draw meaningful conclusions . . .

Not for those of us who actually know how to read Simon. I swear, normally you're a pretty level headed guy. I don't know why you completely lose your ability/desire to comprehend peoples arguments whenever the issues of racial disparity are raised. Take a breather buddy. It's going to be okay.
  • cofty
    cofty

When victim culture meets virtue signalling facts can be such an inconvenience.

• cofty
    cofty
    Imagine that there is a very real chance you could be shot by the police without provocation.

"Imagine" being the key word.

Once again - A new study has been published by Harvard University’s Rolando G. Fryer Jr. that shows there is no evidence that blacks are more likely than whites to be shot by cops...

• KiddingMe
  • FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Really? Let's just look at 2015 shall we? Because, to me, it sure seems like cops are shooting UNARMED black people fairly regularly.

A glaring omission is what they were doing just prior to being shot. Most blacks shot by police are actively resisting arrest, and have rap sheets as long as my arm.

BTW, why were there no riots, and damned little news mention of the WHITE unarmed male shot by a black cop in Salt Lake City a couple years ago? He was laying on the sidewalk and no threat to anyone at the time he was executed.

• mrquik
    mrquik

I had my ass kicked by an "unarmed" man. I carry a weapon. As this person was 30 lbs heavier & 25 yrs younger tried to break my neck, I had just enough strength to get on my knees to pull out my Smith & Wesson. I was fully prepared to empty the clip in his chest. At that moment he stopped & walked off talking to himself. This would have gone down as "shooting an unarmed man'. Anyone who assaults a police officer, who tries to take his weapon, who reaches into a pocket when told to show their hands should expect to be shot. Don't bother telling me different until you've been there.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Coded Logic....

You are an idiot. David Clark is spot on.

HappyDad

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    "Imagine" being the key word.
    Once again - A new study has been published by Harvard University’s Rolando G. Fryer Jr. that shows there is no evidence that blacks are more likely than whites to be shot by the cops

Not sure why but it seems like people have lost their basic ability to read on this forum all of a sudden. This really isn't that hard. Let's try this one more time though, UNARMED black people are more likely to be shot by police. UNARMED! NOT "black people are more likely to be shot by the police". Not, "White people with knives and guns are less likely to get shot as black people".

Can you see the crucial problem here?

Why does that matter? Because by and large - COPS SHOULDN'T BE SHOOTING UNARMED PEOPLE!

In regards to the paper cited, the only thing it says about unarmed persons is, "black civilians are 21.1 percent more likely to have force used against them compared to white civilians with the same reported compliance behavior."

I don't care what what the crime rate is for black people - and you know why? - because I'm talking about people who are UNARMED being shot!

I don't care if they have a tail light out - and you know why? - because I'm talking about people who are UNARMED being shot!

And I don't care about what color shoes they wear or which Jefferson they prefer or any other non-relevant statistic you're going to pull up to try and distract from the issue - and you know why? - because I'm talking about people who are unarmed being shot!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit