JWLITE

by Teddnzo 124 Replies latest jw friends

• PetrW
    PetrW

@ExBethelitenowPIMA

Could anyone count the times this fraise was used at the AGM “we can’t be dogmatic we just don’t know” by all members of the GB.

This is a significant change and will apply to oll the old doctrine made up by now dead people. This new GB have inherited old doctrine that is long out of date.

I can see this new JWLITE really being appealing with all things slowly becoming “we just don’t know”

You are, perhaps, too nice to them😊 But if an elite of a group admits mistakes but continues to hold on to power or maintain the system that allowed them to become elite, then it is untrustworthy. More accurately: it's common, but is it Christian? Given a decades-long system with widespread negative effects on millions of people around the world, is it justifiable?

If I "switch" to "Machiavellianism", where power takes precedence over morality, then GB is doing exactly what is required in terms of maintaining and confirming power to the oligarchy! Personally, I would use the (apparent) debate on freedom of opinion to then remove these "free thinkers": they will out themselves and I don't have to expose them, I will use a faction to destroy them or falsely accuse them of something they (didn't) do, and I will consolidate my power by imposing law and order after removing the doubters, because the doubters will no longer be there! A perfect totalitarian world! (End of satire and evil thinking! 😊 )

However, we will continue to monitor the case. Personally and honestly (aside from the jokes I sometimes make about it), I wish the JWs had handled it well, but I don't give it much of a chance.

P.S.: when you and others discuss evolution, remember that sooner or later, you will be equated with scientific theory/hypothesis and "truth", it's very subtle and often forgotten in discussions. One doesn't have to be a physicist or a molecular biologist, but it certainly doesn't hurt to know a little something about the philosophy of science (the logic of scientific inquiry - Karl Popper gives his regards! 😊 )

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Its been said that to determine is someone actually believes something is to take notice of their actions

The eldubs can be come suspicious of a publishers sudden decrease of spiritual things like that of field serve-us and commenting at meetings.

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo
    Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument advanced by Blaise Pascal (1623–1662)

“Pascal contends that a rational person should adopt a lifestyle consistent with the existence of God and actively strive to believe in God. The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs only finite losses, potentially sacrificing certain pleasures and luxuries. “

But the new JWLITE idea means you don’t need to sacrifice certain pleasures and luxuries until right at the end of the great tribulation as they now say?

So JWLITE is a win win for everyone. Go to meetings occasionally and keep one foot in for all the good things that being physically in offers. But at the same time have all the benefits that being mentally out offers.

Don’t need to go door to door anymore and don’t need to listen to the GB as they admit they are not inspired and get things wrong.

At the same time I have to say, in defence of the JW cult there are some really great people in it. It’s seems to be a good place to gather truly great people who have high morals and are trustworthy. Also so welcoming and hospitable it’s so great to have good friends all around the world. Very good place to raise a family with lots of good associations.

If you are in need the congregation is always there for each other. Far more than any other similar religious group.

I also see a lot of benefits of studying the Bible and trying to live by it, if is the word of God or not
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

The WTS can’t go mainstream. They can only pretend.

Authentic mainstream reform involves a lot of different things, but one of the big ones is - for all intents and purposes - abandoning the claim of exclusive divine favor.

If the WTS did that…

…what remaining incentive is there to stay?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

If you are going to adopt a lifestyle consistent with the possible existence of God, but keep the possibility there that there is no God, then JWLITE is a good option.

The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs no losses at all really. It wasn’t a waste of time being physically in

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We were encouraged by a PIMO friend to not fade, but rather fake it, so that we could enjoy the benefits of the brotherhood, and to just ignore the issues organizationally. (Yes, I think the R&F are predominantly good, sincere people.) However, we felt that by giving our passive support or approval might convince others observing our stance that we were still true believers and they should continue on as such also.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A double life is half life, half lie.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

It must all take a psychological toll, eventually.

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo

Hebrews 11 :1faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

On a scale 1-100 my faith or confidence in what we hope for was up near 100. Now my faith in the Bibles promises the way I used to think I understood them is way down nearer zero. But I still have hope that the Bibles promises may have some merit to them even if we don’t understand them correctly.

This is not living a lie. It doesn’t need to take a physical and mental toll on you if you come to the realisation that we don’t understand as much as we thought we once did.

I think if you are fully PIMI your faith in what the GB say is 100 and then you realise they were wrong about 1914 and then everything else falls apart then yes this would take a mental toll and you may even have a breakdown or kill yourself. This is almost certainly coming to many of the almost 9 million publishers around the world.

But I wonder how many are like me and have realised already that the Bible may be like a jigsaw puzzle. All the pieces scattered and some bunches are being out together and then those bunches seem like they have something to do with each other but then later you realise that was wrong. Actually it was all wrong but you keep trying

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

this jw lite thing is nothing new. When i was in it--in the 60s--the majority of men attending did so to appease their rabid lunatic jesus freak wives. These guys just sat through meetings--never commenting--just asleep with their eyelids open. Never went out on field service--just never got involved. Nice enough to chat to--about anything except the religion. Many smoked.

Then there were the nisan kids--seen just once a year to get their membership card renewed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit