Crisis of Conscience where to find?

by Jules Saturn 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    think its the general assumption that window washers hate the job, dont get paid very well, and get told to better themselves and go to uni all the time. Otherwise they will always be second class.

I know I'm hijacking,a bit, but I'd like to get this off my chest. I'd say that *the* most intelligent person I ever met was a gypsy who.never went to school, at all. Including home schooling. He was completely self taught in every thing he did - from building a house, to expounding on cosmology and astronomy to the motives of Stephen Dedelus (being Joyce) in Joyce's ' Ulyesses' and with a vast knowledge of modern first editions, of which he is a collector. He also destroys everyone at chess.

Not bad for a builder who no one taught to read.

Similarly, I've met Doctors who have a very average to poor intelligence. Academics of course tend to be very bright but taking them out of the equation for a moment there are many folk with so called professional jobs who are there through chance, luck, accident of birth or often an engaging personality - the face just fits - nothing to do with ability or intelligence.

In short, intelligence and job are less co-related than people assume.

I think given our backgrounds it's understandable, but I've seen quite a bit of bragging and superior attitude among exjws who have a measure of success, *and* a tendency to place a little too much trust in bits of paper. In short, they swing the other way.

Being a window cleaner, whether millionaire or broke, is just a way to earn a crust...it's not who you are...it's says nothing about your talents, interests, charm, ability, giving nature (or not), fearlessness, tact...the myriad facets that make you.

Judging people on their job is so limiting and shallow.

Dio xx

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered ad nauseum on other older threads, but can't seem to find an answer.

Understanding how CoC is becoming harder and harder to find, is there any speculation that the WT has somehow acquired the legal rights, or may have entered into some agreement (read: financial payout with confidentiality clause attached) with the copyright owner, to prevent future printings or electronic distribution?

EDIT: Found this thread where Blondie confirms knowing the copyright owner personally:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5944127975849984/publisher-offers-print-cofc-without-cost?page=2

Assuming Blondie wouldn't consort with someone who was near and dear to Ray, but then agree to some backroom payoff from WT to keep CoC off the shelves and internet, any other insights into why the lack of a current edition in print physically or as an e-book?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    RO: any other insights into why the lack of a current edition in print physically or as an e-book?

It was mentioned on a thread recently that the copyright owner is a born again Christian or something like that. The reading of Ray's book has been responsible for many people rejecting the JW faith, but then they go on to also reject christian faith of any kind

It is quite possible that the misplaced and misguided faith of the copyright holder is what has squelched the distribution of Ray's book

Misguided Christian morality has, I think, got in the way

• steve2
    steve2

respectful_observer, I had thought something along similar lines as you but perhaps not so much to do with direct JW organization connections.

The copyright holder was besieged a few times some years ago with urgent requests for Crisis of Conscience and was even subjected to some "ruder" requests, to put it politely. I was frankly astonished that people who requested she start distributing the book again would engage in insulting comments to her.

She had reported being physically unwell at that time and even disclosed recent or upcoming surgery. I think she had had enough.

My "take" is that the urgent requests and criticism got her back up and she decided to stall - probably fuelled also by misgivings about people's motives and intentions. As time has passed - and her physical health issues may have continued and even worsened - I think she just doesn't have it in her to re-set up the book's distribution. Nothing sinister is going on.

That is my take - as I don't think JW organization would "lower" itself to buy out or directly influence the book's legal distributor.

• Hanged Man
    Hanged Man

As I have two crisis of conscience books......if there is anyone awakening (PIMO) in Scotland and would like one of them for free.....PM me.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I used to do windows, and always loved the work. I always had fun, and enjoyed getting to know my customers. I still have my basic tool's that I have had for 40 years or so. A couple of times, I headed off on vacation, with a little money in my pocket, and my tool's, and washed windows along the way. I did that at least three times, and I always came back with a pocket full of money!!!

If my feet and leg's would allow me to, I would go back to doing it today!!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hanged Man that's very generous of you but can I suggest donating your book to a library where many individuals can access it, discreetly if need be.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    nicolaou: but can I suggest donating your book to a library where many individuals can access it, discreetly if need be.

That's a good idea. However, these books have a way of disappearing once they are part of library systems.

I have encountered this problem a few times with local libraries - one day a book is there and the next time I go to take it out...it has vanished. From what I have heard (!!!), local JWs make it a point to make sure that certain books can't be accessed through public libraries by discreetly making them disappear

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Just like there are over eager members of JW..Borg in medical personnel at hospitals and doctors offices, snopping through files to "catch" erring ones having or had abortions, STD's and or blood transfusions... There are also over eager Jdubs in the library system, systematically getting rid of any reading material that might shine a true light on their precious (rotten to the core) religion.

My 2 cents. Do NOT take it to the library.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Excellent summary Dio

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit