HELP needed from folks in UK, esp. in Scotland!

by WTS Archive 101 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

The story sounds like bullshit to me and so far NOTHING has appeared in local media.

I'll await the story breaking.....

• gonzobear
    gonzobear

They obviously have differently bible trained consciences to that of my ex-husband who just tried to take me to court over access arrangements with my daughter, he did take me, but I didn't contest the motion, but he's a witness as are his family who submitted affidavits.

Surely this is a matter of employment law? Did the witnesses employed have contracts, you can't just not turn up for work.

Even a link to the trial date and what court it's in - those should be on the court of sessions' website - would help.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Failing to turn up for work unannounced may be very rude but is no crime or civil offence here in U.K., no one could claim any damages in this "story" , simply not carrying on employment is not breach of contract in any way that can get compensation, employment law in this area has more regard for rights of workers who may be discriminated against, NOT employers! Polish, more like Pledge Furniture Polish , all glistening and no substance.

• WTS Archive
    WTS Archive

as there is no obligation for a Witness stop working for a newly DF/DA person and surely some of them would not be able to afford to do so

I hear you, but you underestimate the power of groupthink. I imagine that after the midweek meeting this was announced they've all gathered and decided to act like that as a group. It's hard to think for yourself when everybody else says that you should do this or that.

Also while like you said there is no obligation to do it, remember that on this year's convention they've basically said that it's not ok to pick up the phone from your DF'd daughter. So in their minds working for an apostate could be even worse.

I am also wondering how a small (two?) room hotel can support 24+ employees

From what I was told it had six rooms, so it's not all that unreasonable. Maids, kitchen, reception, and probably other positions I didn't think of would fill it easily.

Anyway, this is something I've learned just yesterday so I don't have all the details yet. I will get back to you with more as soon as I get more information.

Polish, more like Pledge Furniture Polish , all glistening and no substance

Wow, one thing I did not expect on these forums was hostility, guess I was wrong. Maybe this was not the best place to look for this kind of help...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

WTSArchive...

I understand the group mentality and agree it's not out of the question. Sorry if I misunderstood the size of the place, it's just you mentioned a couple of rooms.

Let's see what you can find out over the next few days.

• WTS Archive
    WTS Archive

it's just you mentioned a couple of rooms

I'm not a native speaker, I assumed that "couple" would be understood as "few", as in 2-9. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Failing to turn up for work unannounced may be very rude but is no crime or civil offence here in U.K., no one could claim any damages in this "story" , simply not carrying on employment is not breach of contract in any way that can get compensation, employment law in this area has more regard for rights of workers who may be discriminated against, NOT employers! Polish, more like Pledge Furniture Polish , all glistening and no substance.

Yes it is a breach of contract. As a minimum there is a statutory notice period of one week on either side. Employers are not able to deduct any costs associated with an employee walking out from any pay due but they can pursue costs through the civil courts.

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/giving-notice

http://employeradvice.org.uk/what-to-do-when-staff-quit-without-notice/

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I'm not a native speaker, I assumed that "couple" would be understood as "few", as in 2-9. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

NP - it will all become clear in the end hopefully!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Who knows it might be true. I'm reserving judgement.

The idea that a Polish immigrant might be attracted to JWs, but later discover their darker side on YouTube in her own language, and leave, seems the most plausible and compelling part of the story to me.

What is a bit more difficult to understand is the part where, having discovered that JWs are controlling and abusive through watching the YouTube video, why did it come as a surprise to the Polish woman that she would have problems with her JW employees when she left? You'd think someone in that position would ask a few questions and try to discover the lay of the land. Not simply turn up at work to find a ghost ship. Very dramatic scene, but difficult to comprehend in practice.

• Landy
    Landy

Just what exactly is she taking them to court for? For resigning from their jobs?

i can see that going a long way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit