Jehovah's Witnesses Feel Superior To Others. What About EX-JW's???

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Good question, Minimus.

Hey JT, you now PhD stands for "piled higher and deeper" because you get a PhD after you first obtain a BS (yes, Bull Sh*t) then MS (More Sh*t)! So know wonder this guy had such an attitude!!! (he thinks his doesn't smell!!! )

Ok, back to the original question. Personally I feel like such an idiot for ever believing and being so devoted to the WTBTs. So yes that is humbling experience in itself. And socially, I'm trying to catch up with where I should be, able to interact with all people, especially people in my neighborhood and work. I had held people off for so long, I have to start a whole new social circle to meet the human needs of being a social person.

j2bf

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Like any other group, there are individual ex-JWs who feel superior, but think the vast majority of us do not.

The few PhDs I know personlly do not think they are superior. They were regular guys. I have heard a few horror stories though. Some people are just arrogant. I don't think a horse changes into an ass if given an education.

Valis, what are you getting your PhD in?

Richard

• Introspection
    Introspection

Minimus, I'm not trying to give you a shot, in fact I'm not quite sure what you mean but I guess you mean making fun of you or something. In any case I'm glad you don't feel strongly that I am trying to do that, the confusion probably just has to do with my weird writing style. (or lack of one) I'm not that familiar with the situation(s) you are speaking of so I am just making some general observations here.

My point is just that there's going to be people who are into feeling superior, and in a way you can get caught up in their game, if you react to their smugness or whatever. But I was drawing a contrast between being interested in the truth about Jehovah's Witnesses and being interested in feeling you're so much better now because you have a better world view, you are well educated or whatever. Even though the witnesses might be messed up, people who have this ego trip going might have had that going all along, hell maybe they contributed to what was there in the organization when they were still in. The attitude of being superior is a personal thing, it doesn't inherently exist in information which you might read or whatever. So I suppose it may have something to do with the real reason why someone leaves - you might not want to be a witness anymore because it's not the truth, or you may not want to be one anymore because you want to feel superior in some way, and the elders in your hall had their own trip going so you try to make it big somewhere else. Anyways, I suppose I just tend to ignore that when it comes up, I mean why waste your time right? Even if they have some other information to share that's mixed in with their own inflated sense of self I can take that info and leave them, I'm just not interested in how great they think they are. My attitude is sort of like, what does their puffed-upness have to do with me? After all, someone who is full of themselves is just in their own world, I'm more interested in the real world. This is not even to say that someone like this might be stupid or be very mistaken about many things, because as we've already discussed it could be an intelligent, educated person - but the thing I've noticed about an egotistical attitude is that you have to constantly put energy into maintaining it, defending it and so on - what a waste! I guess for me, I can't be bothered to care if someone else thinks they're better than me. Anyways sorry for rambling on, I hope that clears it up.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

JT I'd say you answered your own question. The majority opinion on this board is that Witnesses are stupid, not completely brain dead, there's a whole lot of derogative name calling which I don't need to list here. Then there's the charge that Witnesses are essentially evil, not quite so many go that route but there's a significant number. The denigration list gets very long when you think about it. The impression I often get as that most have almost exactly the same attitude that they had when they were Witnesses, it's just that now it is focused on Witnesses rather than non-witnesses. I will say that this is very typical behavious for hostile leavers from any organization.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Wow! I am REALLY having trouble getting used to this "new" system, LOL! I wanted to reply to a poster on the previous page, and the 2nd page keeps coming up, and I can't cut and paste for some reason so I can answer her directly by HER post, (SIGH), and I desperately wanted to edit my first post this evening about the CBS interview with Bill, and I can't seem to do THAT either.....(sob). I had somebody chattering at me while I was typing the first paragraph and I had to keep "getting back" to my line of thinking and messed it up badly.......

Anyway, I think it was Lee that mentioned the "pond scum", which brought to mind something someone told ME when *I* first left and my first few experiences with shunning....this gal was on a XJW "only for ladies" online group, and I had said that old friends from the KH were treating me like pond scum when I saw them in public (small town, too) and she said to me....."Don't forget, POND SCUM rises to the TOP!" and for some reason the humor in that remark did a lot for me.

She was from England, used to "go by" DebX. I've lost track of her over the years, but I think of her often and what a great support she was to me back then.

So if you're still "out there", thank you!

Hugs to DebX,

Annie

• rocketman
    rocketman

I think some people feel superior due to certain personality traits or issues which may have nothing to do with whether they are jws or ex-jws.

That said, there is of course that smugness thatis evident among many jws.

I would think that most people here have learned from that, and many say they are more tolerant, for example, now that they are no longer active jws.

Also, in an online forum, it's hard to tell what people are really like anyway.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

NOW!

On to answering the question! LOL!

Not in MY case! I of course, like a well-trained Jdub, I felt superior to the point of the fact that I had my life "together", I had all the (bible) answers, and was leading and directing myself towards one goal...to "make it" into the new Order. Of course this meant ONLY associating with members of "like Faith", (didn't want to become unevenly yoked, now!) and keeping a wide berth between myself and my nonJW family members (didn't want to become unevenly yoked, now 2) and 3 and 4, etc.

When, after 30+ years of only being with JWs, and following all the many, MANY stupid Pharasaical rules, making my 5 kids go through school without any Proms, any dates, any parties, any FUN, but going to meetings and assemblies and service (oboyoboyoboy!)...and then to discover the WTS were LIARS and we had given up ALL that because of MY "beliefs"....no, I can't say that I felt superior to much of anyone.

One daughter got baptized and is now an elderette, and never invited me OR her Dad to her wedding, the other four kids got together for a short time and lived in another state away from here, and decided I was the worst mother EVER for what I deprived them of that could NEVER be replaced (they were RIGHT up to a point, but I didn't act in malice), cuz I BELIEVED this was (gag)....pleasing to Jehovah"; and my parents and only sister disowned me when I BECAME a JW in 1972 (double whammy here), and after several letters of apology from me when I DAed myself,...they STILL want nothing to do with me for all the birthdays and Christmases I never acknowledged......I still don't feel superior to anything but the ants running through my kitchen at the moment.

My Mom died 1 1/2 years ago, I was asked not to attend her funeral cuz she died hating me. My Dad is on his death bed and I've been given the same notice,; (ain't this wunnerful?); when I finally began attending our Family Reunion out-of-state, my sister and her husband and one of my sons and his wife and my three grandchildren---STOPPED attending because I was there (my cousin begged me to come) and I HAD previously written to all of them to apologize for my years as a JW.

My BIL (a JW) died last month, I didn't and COULDN'T sit respectfully through a JW funeral-talk,( the infomercial to captive nonJWs), and I explained that to everybody, but NOW several MORE people in the family on my husband's side aren't speaking to me because I didn't go.....so the shi! still piles up, and there is NO WAY IN HELL that I feel "superior". Maybe a few ants are still out in the kitchen. I'll go out there and look.

BUT!!!!

I DO LOVE THE MANY FREEDOMS THAT I NOW HAVE! You should SEE my house at Christmas! Anyone remember Tim Allen's house at Christmas on "Home Improvement"? I'm makin' up for lost time, LOL!

If anyone wonders why exJWs seem to have an "attitude"...it's because they've discovered that they were slaves to a LIE, a DELIBERATE lie, on top of it, and have lost so much that can never be gotten back. It REALLY STINKS.

There ISN'T anyone else around my area (that I know of) that has left the WTS (except for ONE , and he committed suicide two summers ago)...and nobody talks to me that would KNOW!! I have no clue how to find out, either! So I'm in this all by myself!

And people WONDER why exJWs are so bitter and so angry. It has nothing to DO with feeling superior.....

hugs,

Annie

• minimus
    minimus

Intro: Thanx 4 the clarification. I get it now.

• gumby
    gumby

Porkerchop....

The impression I often get as that most have almost exactly the same attitude that they had when they were Witnesses, it's just that now it is focused on Witnesses rather than non-witnesses.

Really?

Do you mean that us ex-witnesses believe that only we will be saved and god is going to kill all the witnesses? Is that the comparison?

Or do you mean we have a loathing for them as they do the world?

We have a loathing of the Organisation because it's teachings has killed people, destroyed families, and caused mental havoc on it's followers. How is it that ex-dubs to THESE things to the witnesses?

• minimus
    minimus

gumby, you're good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit