Jehovah's Witnesses Feel Superior To Others. What About EX-JW's???

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT
    Hey JT,

When you brought up the PhD thingy, I thought you were talking about me. Then you said that the person was on the Witness of Jah tape. Whew, that aint't me.

he is the pychologist- he was on this site awhile back- his name just slips my mind

he did the research on jw and mental health issues

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well, is there really any reason why ex-JW's as a group would feel superior to others? We can atleast see that it wouldn't be every one of them right?

Basically people seem to think feeling superior goes right along with feeling you know the truth, and of course in this context it is knowing the truth about the "Truth". In reality these are two different things, you can have a very innocent attitude like "what? no that doesn't make sense, I don't think that's true." The attitude of feeling smug and superior is just a matter of comparing your view with others, you're looking for something better rather than what's true. If you want to know what's true it's just a matter of being honest, even if the truth is I don't know what to think. Very different things.

• minimus
    minimus

Let me tell you what comes thru at times with certain posters. It's more of a mocking, belittling arrogance that manifests itself. As if,"we're a lot smarter than you, you dummies, you fools". It can come across as condescending .....I think you're referring to one of our posters, Jerry Bergman.

• Introspection
    Introspection

I understand what you're talking about Minimus. Of course this is what I am talking about when I say they are looking for something better rather than what's true, because there is focus on 'my views are better than yours' - whereas if you just want to know the truth, why do you even bother staying there? In that case you are satisfied with feeling superior rather than really knowing what's true, and that just means you're really not interested in the truth at all, maybe just in being a smart guy.

Then again, why even care if some people got their own ego trip going? Sometimes there might be something useful that comes out of it too, I'm sure there are when you got smart and well educated people. But I mean if you're not in this game of wanting to feel superior or inferior with them, all of it just becomes so much nonsense, it's irrelevant to you.

(edited to address to Minimus)

• logansrun
    logansrun

JT,

Are you talking about Jerry Bergman? I know he is a professor and engaged in studies of the JWs mental health. I personally don't respect him, not for his arrogant attitude, but for his logic-twisting creationist bent. Other than that, I have nothing to say about him.

Bradley

• minimus
    minimus

Introspection, I've read your comments a few times and I'm trying to figure out whrther you're trying to give me a shot or not.

• JT
    JT
    JT,

Are you talking about Jerry Bergman? I know he is a professor and engaged in studies of the JWs mental health. I personally don't respect him, not for his arrogant attitude, but for his logic-twisting creationist bent. Other than that, I have nothing to say about him.

Bradley

that's MY MAN - i could not think of his name to save my life- now i will say this, when he was online someone looked up the college that gave him his PHD and the info on the school was kinda--- how can i say this--- questionable- but hey if it floats his boat

• Swan
    Swan

I can't speak for other xJWs, but I myself have been very humbled by what I have went through. While I feel I am in a superior place in my life for having gone through this, I am actually feeling very humble about it.

I was on top for so many years and thought myself very lucky to have been born into the one true religion. Then I began to question that, and now I just feel fortunate to have survived in my life for as long as I have and to know what I know now. I try not to take any of it for granted any more.

I am also a lot less judgmental of others. I now believe that people believe what may be right for them, not necessarily what is right for me or right for someone else. Who am I to judge it?

I also apologize to others for any part I played in my past ignorance. I feel shame at having been duped for so long and for the self-righteous attitude I had at the time. It makes me cry at times and I sincerely hope that no others later became JWs because of me.

Tammy

• Dawn
    Dawn

I have to agree with most posters here. It's hard to be smug now when you know you were so duped in the past. It's a humbling experience.

Funny thing - looking back on my 'dub days, I didn't feel superior to other non-JW's - in fact, I envied them because they did not live under the fear and control that I did. Now x-JW's - that was a whole other story.....

It would be easy now to be smug to JW's because I am in such a good situation - both spiritually, physically, AND financially. However - all I have to do is remember that what I have now is only by the grace of God. One small turn in circumstances and things could have turned out very different for me.

• nowisee
    nowisee

no, i don't feel inherently superior (nor inferior for that matter) to anyone. i think we all are on a level playing field. we are all totally dependent on the Creator for everything we are and everything we have, whether or not we choose to acknowledge it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit