What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

My point is the basic day in and day out stories, especially where politicians and presidents are concerned, the stories on their merits are factual.

Except when CBS's Dan Rather tried to pass forged documents as legit proving Bush shirked his responsibility when he was in the Texas National Guard.

LRG

• Simon
    Simon
    This thread has turned into a defense of Trumps taking a leak on the First Amendment by his supporters, which is their right, they won the election. (If not the popular vote)

Three things:

It's not "defending Trump" to point out that he isn't actually doing anything in contravention of the 1st amendment.

Trying to look objectively at things does not make you a Trump supporter.

How many legitimate votes Hilary got is still being investigated and is irrelevant.

• Simon
    Simon
    CNN doesn't lie. Neither does CBS, NBC, ABC. FOX is the network that has been screaming bloody murder from the start. That doesn't mean anything.
    This entire thread is based on a false premise. That the traditional news media lies. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE.

Are you kidding? They lie in several different ways:

They do tell outright untruths.

They lie by omission to give a false impression. This is either not giving the full story or only presenting one side of it.

They deceive by selective coverage. There could be 10 crimes committed against one group, and 10,000 crimes committed by that same group, but if they only report the 10 that suits their narrative, they are being deceptive.

The use biased language. One side are terrorists, the other are freedom-fighters for instance. Often this is opinion dressed up or subtle interjection of their interpretation of someone's motives (which they don't know) instead of just the facts.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I'm biased against Trump because I disagree with his rhetoric and his actions. If you agree with them, then you approve of him. Both opinions can be based on the facts.

Media is not lying when it presents Trump's speeches verbatim. It doesn't lie when it reports that he's played 6 rounds of golf in his first month in office. It's not a lie to say that his Southern White House excursions, and his "rally" cost the taxpayers over $10,000,000 for business that could have been conducted in Washington D.C. It doesn't lie when it points out that he gets his news from Fox and Infowars. It doesn't lie when it shows that he knew about Flynn's discussion about sanctions, and didn't fire him until it was made public. It doesn't lie when it reports on his Tweets, and it doesn't lie when it says nothing happened in Sweden. I've seen nothing said by Sean Spicer, or Kellyanne Conway taken out of context. These are not half-truths.

I choose to think these are bad things, but if you're happy with this, that's your right. Just don't call it biased or fake news. No matter how you twist it, or say "Yes, but..." IT'S THE TRUTH!

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, it doesn't lie when it reports security costs for Trump. But it's obviously biased when they didn't do this for Obama. Same for vacations - is the coverage factual or meant to give an impression of someone's not doing their job? Is it really news or an excuse to score political points?

If they endlessly play something negative for Trump but refuse to give the same coverage of things negative to Obama then they are being deceptive. Yes, they can be said not to "lie" outright, but they are hardly being honest.

I know the overwhelming majority of people on the left can't grasp it, but it's possible to both defend something on the basis of whether it's allowed and / or fair and at the same time not support and agree with it.

People seem to actually believe that pointing out the hypocrisy of people's biases (being outraged at Trump for doing the same things that they were fine with Obama doing) or that making claims of "crimes" that are not crimes is simply stupid, means it makes you a Trump supporter. Grow up and get a clue.

Also, isn't there a march you should be going on? It's been at least a week ...

• bohm
    bohm

Simon:

But it's obviously biased when they didn't do this for Obama. Same for vacations - is the coverage factual or meant to give an impression of someone's not doing their job?

CNN report on cost of Obamas inauguation

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/economy/inauguration_costs/

Washington times complain about expensive vacation:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/15/obama-heads-to-hawaii-for-the-holidays/

BTW, I don't think the security cost is the big deal (well, except it is kind of funny Trump was constantly complaining about Obamas holidays and now here he is...), what is more important is that Trump is using his presidency to bring extra money into his private club.

What I think they should do is to put a bullet point from the President's daily brief at each hole on the golf course. I am sure many would then draw a sigh of relief every time he was headed to Mar a Lago ;-).

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Simon, I've had my say and I appreciate it. I disagree with you. They don't lie. If they frame stories and characters within those stories in a way you disagree with, that isn't a lie. They don't make stuff up.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Simon, unless you are blind and deaf, or only watching Fox, the media has been plastering the airwaves with comparisons of the costs incurred by Obama and Trump. Obama played his first round of golf in April after his inauguration. His vacation costs to the taxpayers were approximately $12,000,000 for his first year in office.

The hypocrisy is totally on Trump and the Republican's side, as they continually hounded Obama for vacationing and playing golf. In August, Trump said at a campaign rally that, unlike Obama, he would be too busy working for the people to play golf. Now that's hypocrisy!

Please don't insult my intelligence until you do a simple search.

• azor
    azor

Spolleta exactly it's childish to think that the media isn't biased. We all are. The right has fox, and am radio, the left cnn, and msnbc.

I haven't seen anyone disagree here that the Media is biased. The complaint lies with the equivalencies made about this presidency and others. They share nothing in common.

• Simon
    Simon
    CNN report on cost of Obamas inauguation
    Washington times complain about expensive vacation:

You're missing the point. Pulling out odd articles is different to the media saturation currently happening - there is no balance, even if you find a few crumbs.

unless you are blind and deaf, or only watching Fox, the media has been plastering the airwaves with comparisons of the costs incurred by Obama and Trump. Obama played his first round of golf in April after his inauguration. His vacation costs to the taxpayers were approximately $12,000,000 for his first year in office.

And again, did they do this with say, Bush and Obama and to the same extent? I don't think they did. I think they are doing it now because they want to do all they can to publish any negative narratives about Trump.

As you say, they have been "plastering the airwaves" with it - why?

If you want to "OK" this then fine, but remember it works both ways. It means it was legitimate and justified to harp on about Obamas birth certificate or collage grades and Clintons emails and Benghazi and it will be OK to do this in future for whichever democrat ever gets elected.

Have a principle, stick to it. Don't just blindly cheer for a team - you'll end up looking like a schmuck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit