What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• Landy
    Landy
    The Swedish media have a policy of reporting crimes carried out by immigrants but they won't say the ethnicity and immigrant status of the criminals.

Why is it relevant - is a criminal not a criminal regardless of nationality?

• bohm
    bohm

LUHE: This is the 3rd terror attack made up by the administration in 30 days and you distract to the Swedish media in a massive effort of "whataboutery". You should follow the Russian news, it will make you allergic to that strategy in two weeks.

Either your standard for reporting is that ethnicity of criminals and victims should play a major role or it shouldn't. If you decide it should, Trump should be called out for not reporting on other incidents of hate crimes that he is strangely silent about, like the attack in Canada or the vandalizing of synagogues in the USA by neo-nazis.

Instead he talks about muslim terrorism to the point where he runs out of actual acts of terrorism and has to make them up. There seems to be some ethnic bias involved.. i just can't quite put my finger on it...

• Landy
    Landy
    So, I'll fill you in: Sweden has big problems with immigration - illegal and legal - and with integration of immigrants into Swedish society, and with sexual crimes carried out by immigrants on ethnic Swedish women. The Swedish media have a policy of reporting crimes carried out by immigrants but they won't say the ethnicity and immigrant status of the criminals.

And it would be nice if you could back that up with some verifiable facts.

• bohm
    bohm

Landy: The truth behind the statement is that Sweden does have more immigrants per capita than any other EU country and immigrants in Sweeden (and elsewhere) are more likely to commit crimes and are therefore disproportionally represented in the justice system (this can be compared to how blacks are more represented in the justice system in the US though I don't know how the numbers stack up).

What is also true is that Swedish media does not report ethnicity of criminals by default. So if a gang rob a kiosk, the report will say: "kiosk robbed by gang" and not "kiosk robbed by afghan/somali/white gang". People can make of that what they want, this is not a policy that I have a fixed opinion about.

Where you should be careful is that Sweden has a super high rate of reported rapes. This is because Sweden has the most progressive laws in terms of reporting rapes... que a gazillion right-wing stories about how immigrants are raping everyone in Sweden. This type of stories typically don't hold up to fact-checking because they are comparing apples and oranges.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why is it relevant - is a criminal not a criminal regardless of nationality? - I fear you may be missing the point. Swedish media have a policy of remaining silent about the ethnicity and immigrant status of criminals.

First, this seems like an effort to brush any concerns about mismanaged migration and multiculturalist policies under the carpet. If Sweden released details of ethnicity and immigrant status, I wonder what these data would show?

Second, suppose a crime happened in Swede, let's say theft by an immigrant but the criminal is still at large and his ethnicity is protected. That could make things even more difficult than they already are.

Third, when a Western man commits a sexual crime, there is widespread outrage - justifiably so. Feminists are also rightly outraged. Again with MENA immigrants, it seems Sweden doesn't want people to feel outrage.

Hopefully, Sweden will see sense and deport all foreign-born rapists.

This is the 3rd terror attack made up by the administration in 30 days and you distract to the Swedish media in a massive effort of "whataboutery" - no, there's no whataboutery from me. I said Trump should come under harsh scrutiny for his lies - and face any consequences. I felt it necessary to add some background on once-great Sweden, just to provide some perspective.

• bohm
    bohm
    Swedish media have a policy of remaining silent about the ethnicity and immigrant status of criminals

In some cases, not in others. Please inform yourself before spreading mis-information.

First, this seems like an effort to brush any concerns about mismanaged migration and multiculturalist policies under the carpet. If Sweden released details of ethnicity and immigrant status, I wonder what these data would show?

Have you looked at the literature on Swedish crime and ethnicity? I am just going to guess that you haven't because it would be the first time you had informed yourself about a subject you had an opinion about.

it seems Sweden doesn't want people to feel outrage [of rape].

You just made that up didn't you?. Stop lying about the Swedish people.

no, there's no whataboutery from me

Watch Russian news. "Putin invaded Crimea. Yes, but whatabout..."

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You just made that up didn't you?. Stop lying about the Swedish people - my issue isn't with ordinary Swedes but, rather, with Swedish media (and authorities).

The Independent reported an article by Svenska Dagbladet. This article apparently says that there's an internal letter for the police that "specifies that, for everyday crimes such as burglary, basic information such as ethnicity, nationality, skin colour and height should not be given. It was written by Stockholm police press officers Wolf Gyllander and Carina Skagerlind, and said crimes should be reported externally via the police website, without descriptions" (my emphasis).

Is this correct? If so, doesn't it cause serious problems with solving crime and catching criminals?

(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/swedish-police-are-not-allowed-to-give-descriptions-of-alleged-criminals-so-as-not-to-sound-racist-a6810311.html).

• Simon
    Simon
    In some cases, not in others. Please inform yourself before spreading mis-information.

Not misinformation. Clearly true and clearly a pattern when it comes to European countries and the animals they have allowed in.

Stop resorting to the lame "not every case therefore never" attempt to obfuscate the reality.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/not-germany-covers-mass-sex-attacks-migrant-men-swedens-record-shameful/

• bohm
    bohm
    LUHE: my issue isn't with ordinary Swedes but, rather, with Swedish media (and authorities).

1) that wasn't what you said. You wrote: "it seems Sweden doesn't want people to feel outrage [of rape]."

2) You claim Swedish authorities don't feel outrage over rape?! What evidence do you have to support that claim? I can cite the strong focus on reporting of rape in Sweden in support of the idea that the Swedish authorities actually care quite a lot about rape.

BTW, I am not SIRI. Read primary sources yourself, make concrete claims that can be discussed and then let's have a discussion about those claims rather than a million vague questions and speculations you throw around in place of an actual argument.

• Simon
    Simon

Let me guess, we can no longer use the term "Sweden" unless there has been a poll of all Swedes no alive and they all agree 100%.

First the left lost.

Then the left lost it.

I with the left would get lost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit