What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I think the big mistake the media is making right now is thinking that *they* are the story.

Really, I couldn't give a shit about them or about how the president treats them. None of that affects their ability to report news.

But more and more they are portraying themselves as some protected class as though they do great work.

Saw a quote the other day:"just like firefighters run into burning buildings, so we journalists run towards a story".

Yeah, but no.

That's usually far from true. They spew what someone has paid them do, they publish press releases, they read out Twitter comments or play us YouTube clips we already saw a week ago or just give the stage to some political stooge..

Major things happening in the world? Not mentioned quite so much. Example: No mention of the riots happening in France on CNN front page. Lots of nonsense trivial stories and SJW stuff about someone finding some racism somewhere.

But stories about how the media is treated? Headline news, every day.

Dear CNN: I. Don't. Care.

• bohm
    bohm

LUHE: Yes, Sweedish media typically don't report the ethnicity of the criminals unless it is relevant to the story... you can think that is good or bad but it isn't exactly a media blackout of some forms of crime and you can find debate about immigrants in the Sweedish media if you go look.

• bohm
    bohm
    I think the big mistake the media is making right now is thinking that *they* are the story.

I think when the president of the USA attacks the free press using chekist slogans and launch a fund-raising campaign to "fight" the press that is news.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    That's why I suggest that it's better to listen to both sides, weigh the arguments and discern what is spin and what is based on reality, and that the truth is often somewhere between the two viewpoints.

Or sometimes, somewhere else entirely.

• Simon
    Simon

Possibly, that's why it's sometimes worth listening to alternative opinions that may not be represented quite so much in the MSM.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, beautifully stated!!

• azor
    azor

Let me guess like breitbart, and infowars. I find this alternative facts trend troubling. I'm not going to go and see what treatment the food babe recommends for cancer treatment.

Yes check out reputable sources on both sides. To think that that news will ever be unbiased is childish. So it is upon each individual to do their due diligence. Purely propaganda sites like the ones i mentioned earlier should be discarded as the trash they are.

• minimus
    minimus

Not s big fan of infowars but Breitbart I like

• freemindfade
  • Simon
    Simon
    Let me guess like breitbart, and infowars.

There are many more people with opinions and interpretations to share than just those. Sometimes it can be someone knowledgeable about a subject who doesn't get invited to be the expert on CNN (because they have the 'wrong' opinion) but obviously know more about a topic than some who do and do not have the obvious biases.

I find this alternative facts trend troubling. I'm not going to go and see what treatment the food babe recommends for cancer treatment.

Good for you!

Yes check out reputable sources on both sides. To think that that news will ever be unbiased is childish. So it is upon each individual to do their due diligence. Purely propaganda sites like the ones i mentioned earlier should be discarded as the trash they are.

The problem is that the "reputable" part is based on the past, not necessarily what the current reality is. Main-stream news has gotten worse - they have accepted political payments and advertising dollars, both distort things to greater or lesser extents.

While some "alt" news sources can be just as propagandist as the main stream news, they are sometimes no worse. At a minimum though they sometimes allow people to share opinions that may be politically incorrect and labeled by main-stream news unfairly.

For instance, I think Black Lives Matter is a bunch of racist thugs. You are never going to hear that opinion on CNN (if anyone dares, they'll be drowned out by the shrieks of "racism !!" and distracted by Sally Kohn pulling weird faces).

It's the biased media's fault that these other sources have a reason to exist. Not always and for everything, but too much and too often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit