In 2020 In Your Country or State Are Race Relations Better or Worse Than Before?

by minimus 57 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Archie Bunker from All In The Family was considered by many as a racist. There are still many people who think and act like him. Of course, in today’s world, there are many extremes. Some people are very overly sensitive and get easily disturbed by almost anything. They are always “offended “ by something.

I remember watching movies portraying Southern sheriffs and townspeople always trying to entrap a black person simply because of their color. You would like to think this is just Hollywood’s portrayal of the racial divide many decades ago.

Unfortunately, I truly believed having a first black President might make racial tensions better but I was wrong.

Do you see any progress regarding race relations???

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Certainly yes in comparison to the mid 20th century and before.

There has been progression but there is still a segmented amount to be found from region to region..

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Generally race relations have, IMO, gotten better in 2020 and recent years.

Them people are finally learning to stay in their own part of town and keep to their own kind. Otherwise they'll be one less of 'em to worry about.

• minimus
    minimus

Rub , u rite ‘gain, bro

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

I live in a 98 percent white area so no issues. I don't want to live in an area that is mixed.

• minimus
    minimus

Phoenix,,, ouch

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can only speak for the area of the USA where I live. IMO the younger generation is much less racist than older generations. But, I see growing racism among blacks. The fact that Obama was elected by the MAJORITY of US citizens should clearly demonstrate that most were not racist. It took the majority white (non-black) population to elect the first black president.

However, we currently have blacks demanding that Biden select a black VP candidate if he wants the "black vote". Isn't it possible that there is a better candidate among the 85% NON-BLACK population? Claiming that the candidate's race is more important than his/her qualifications is flat out RACIST!

(Let's not get into the "his/her" debate. We all know any woman would be a better candidate than any man. At least that's what it seems is being said by not even considering a man for the position.)

• minimus
    minimus

Doc, good points!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Phoenix,,, ouch

Min ...

"Ouch" squared, or cubed ... or whatever.

Ahhhh .... is that a bit scary?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Unfortunately, I truly believed having a first black President might make racial tensions better but I was wrong.

Min ...

In all seriousness, I don't think you were wrong, just the wrong person. Call me a RINO or whatever, but Gen. Colin Powell could have been, IMO, an excellent President. Supposedly his wife was afraid of assassination attempts and just wanted him to retire and live a "normal" life.

But in the event of a major international issue, I would much rather have Powell speaking into a camera telling the facts than those with, shall we say, protracted hanging down parts and don't know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of (Obama, Trump).

I guess I just respected Powell a lot. Just my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit