How Long Before They Introduce Tithing?

by pale.emperor 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

When I was a full-on believing JW I had an obsessive fascination with Mormonism. I read, studied and watched their propaganda with strange interest as well as their apostate Mormon books.

I have to say, they have a good scam going claiming that "the lord reintroduced tithing" in the modern age.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/tithes-tithing

It's my belief that the GB will introduce tithing outright eventually in my lifetime. It's just a matter of when and how they can spin it. 10% of your income tax free? That would cover their $4,000 a day fine with change left over. You'd probably bring in at least £5,000 per congregation per month. Given that there's around 62,000 KH's in the world that works out at over £300 million a month TAX FREE.

I bet the Bethel accounts dept are seething that old Rutherford didn't pull a scripture out of his ass back in 1931 to reintroduce it.

• sir82
    sir82

I don't know that they would do it for everyone, but I can easily imagine that it would become a requirement for being appointed as an elder, MS, or pioneer.

I.e., only those who tithe get "special privileges".

I don't see it happening any time soon, but if/when they get (more?) desperate for money, it would be one way out.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Dear Brothers,

We are pleased to announce that in harmony with Proverbs 4: 18 which states, "...the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light That grows brighter and brighter..." we are making an adjustment to the way our future preaching work will be supported financially.

Jehovah's standards are unchanging, and in line with our adjusted understanding of Malachi 3: 8-10 we are pleased to make the following change. Beginning January 01, 2019 Kingdom Halls will discontinue the use of contribution boxes, and going forward there will be loving arrangements for all in the congregation to, " Bring the entire tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house..." (Mal. 3: 10)

At this time we have made arrangements for all to enroll in automatic online donations via JW.Org and your banking institution. A recommended annual amount per publisher has been already calculated by the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses for your convenience, which can be donated on a monthly family basis. Your local elders will be giving enrollment forms to each family head. These forms should be filled out and returned to your group overseer no later than December 01, 2018.

The group overseer will keep a list of those who have not been able to meet that deadline and will kindly assist them in getting it promptly filled out with the correct options for each family's assigned donation percentage.

A total monthly contribution announcement will be made at the first mid-week meeting so those who can give more will have the opportunity to increase their voluntary monthly contribution.

We trust that this new arrangement will be a blessing to all who follow the scriptural principals involved.

Please, be assured of our warm christian love,

Your brothers.

Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They pretty much have .

• Half banana
    Half banana

If they did introduce tithing, like everything to do with the JW organisation, it would be a disaster.

Firstly the majority of JWs are poor and would greatly resent a compulsory tithe; it would drive out all those looking for an excuse to leave--which could amount to millions of them?

Secondly the other church members who pay a tithe such as Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists get a lot back from the payment as it goes into funds which in turn yield social security and recreational benefits for the congregants.

The GB have no stomach for social support for their devotees, their response to those hurt by sexual abuse amply demonstrates that they don't care a fig about the psychological and earthly needs of their members. Their mythical heavenly kingdom is supposed to do the social welfare part, which leaves the role of the GB as takers and not givers...........

However I do hope they have to resort to tithing as it will be a sign of final desperation and it will hasten the end of their nasty cult. Yipee!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    FedUpJW, were you in the Writing department of Watchtower. That is so precise..

I dread any letter like this, as my JW wife would take my earnings and donate to those goons

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

No. Never was, but I have had to read too many of the letters from the WT not to be able to mimic them. I wish there were some way to compose that letter on the correct letterhead, and then anonymously drop it on the floor at the KH some weekday when it was mostly all JW women going out in serve us and see how long before that rumor got a foot hold.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

They kinda already have tithing in the form of a monthly set contribution from the congregations that was support the "building" work. I would imagine they'd love to do it and I think having a set amount per publisher instead of a percentage of income would likely be the easiest to administer. That would certainly flush out any PIMOs who would resent having to give them a dime.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I have often thought that they would introduce 'Melchizedekian Tithing'. Since Jesus is the Greater Melchizedek according to Watchtower theology I have imagined that they could possibly get involved in this. The tithe Abraham gave to Melchizedek was separate from the tithing introduced under the old law covenant. They could teach that this was a type/antitype principle that never passed away. Some evangelicals already teach something similar to this:

www.borntowin.net/articles/why-did-abraham-tithe/

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Secondly the other church members who pay a tithe such as Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists get a lot back from the payment as it goes into funds which in turn yield social security and recreational benefits for the congregants.

I can’t comment on the SDAs but in the case of the mormons this simply is not true. I have read on numerous reports the amount of money that the lds church returns to its members and charity is less than one percent. This has been a huge source of contention in the ex lds community. Quite frankly I reckon the lds is a bigger rip off than the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit