Breaking News: Anthony Morris III no longer serving on the Governing Body

by WingCommander 760 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adding another two cents here.

Picture this scenario:

As per Ray Franz, the GB needs 2/3 of votes to decide on important matters, such as change in doctrines or policy. Now, when they were 7, a change could only be obtained with a minimum of 5 votes in favor. Conversely, 3 votes would be enough to block a change.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the majority of GB members wants to change certain important policy or doctrine. Tony opposes it, along with two other GB members, and by 4-3 votes, they manage to block the change. The situation deadlocks and drags on for months or years. The majority of others grows frustrated. To force a change, the only way is to increase the voting pool or hope one of the 'opposing trio' dies. Enter Kenneth Cook. Now the GB is 8. Again, even if this scenario (5-3), the 3 votes block the change.

Now, at this moment, it is decided that the GB needs more members (old age of some members, share the burden, etc). Enter Jeffrey Winder and Gage Fleegle. They were handpicked knowing in advance they'd side with the majority. Now, the scale has tipped. With ten members, a 7-3 vote means the opposing trio can be defeated. Imagine, knowing he's outnumbered, Tony threatening: "if this is approved, I will resign". There's a show of power, a vote is called on the matter, Tony is defeated, a change is decided. The other two see it as Jehovah guiding things and accept the will of the majority; but Tony takes no BS and sees it as mere politics, and makes good on his threat and resigns from the GB. He then must be seen as resisting the "holy spirit", spiritually weak, obstinate, proud, and therefore loses his privileges and reproached, though not disfellowshipped, and not asked to leave Bethel either.

So, why bring in two new members, when 6-3 vote (9 total votes) would suffice? Because they were already accounting for the possibility that Tony would resign, thus reducing the members to 9, and so, they wanted to keep their majority intact, also in the likely scenario that one of them might pass away sometime soon.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Fisherman, you said that "Unless this is history in the making with a new policy, nobody from the governing body in the past stepped down for health reasons or old age. They all died gb."

I am SO sorry to disappoint you, but Thomas James Sullivan resigned July 5 1973 due to health reasons, and died July 30 1974.

• sec_ip
    sec_ip

Does no one think it's odd that there has been almost no inside intel on this since the story broke?

• llubrevlis2000
    llubrevlis2000

Does no one think it's odd that there has been almost no inside intel on this since the story broke

-

yes very odd

its such a huge elephant in the room

today everyone will wonder will he go to the meeting? I’m sure that congregation may get some extra visitors just out of curiosity 🤣

I do hope something will leak in the next day or so, was he at the meeting or not?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    I am SO sorry to disappoint you, but Thomas James Sullivan resigned July 5 1973 due to health reasons, and died July 30 1974.

The Governing Body only exists since 1977. That must have been one of the Directors of the Watchtower Society. In that sense, we can also go back to 1945 and recall when Knorr and Franz asked then Vice-President Hayden Covington to resign from the board of directors because he didn't have the "heavenly hope". He resigned and was replaced by Lyman Swingle.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@EdenOne

Watchtower, however, hammers incessantly into the heads of their followers (incl. Fisherman) that a "GB" has existed since 33 C.E.

wt97 5/15 p. 15-16

3 From the beginning, Jesus’ anointed followers were organized. As the number of disciples multiplied, local congregations were established and elders were appointed. (Titus 1:5) After 33 C.E., the 12 apostles acted as an authoritative central governing body. "

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I don`t know what all the fuss is about ,

JW.Org hasn`t said Anthony Morris is no longer one of Jehovah`s Witnesses have they ?

Until they do ,I don`t think there is anything much to see here.

It`s all speculation.

Maybe wishful thinking.?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

You still have to go out to meetings give talks service go to work. Might as well stay as elder or gb. What is the difference if you quit except loss of honor. The real reason is always he doesn’t qualify anymore whatever pretext reason or excuse is given. They don’t send one out of Bethel to go work in the field either because they pulled his name out of a hat. They don’t want him anymore there. Something is not right about the person. Either conduct, attitude, or selfishness or something he said or did. There is a reason why they get rid of someone label get rid of someone as you wish. It is a big dishonor not to be FDS anymore.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Anthony Morris is no longer one of Jehovah`s Witnesses have they ?

He is staying in Bethel—-for the moment.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet. But someone said yesterday that having AM3 removed, resigned, replaced or whatever could perhaps serve as a distraction to a more damaging scenario to what's really happening in PA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit