Could any American posters please explain to this Brit' why so many of your countrymen are hostile to Obamacare?

by nicolaou 93 Replies latest members politics

• sparky1
    sparky1

Have at it Spoletta. I live in the state of Maine. I just checked the exchange for myself. Since I have Harvard Pilgrim now, I decided to check the Blue Cross and Blue Shield equivalent. My payments with them would be as follows:

$804.53 a month for premiums.

$2,800.00 deductible.

$40.00 office visit.

$6,950.00 out of pocket expenses.

And NO SUBSIDY for me because I make too much money.

I certainly would not want to mislead you with 'anecdotal evidence' and so I encourage you to investigate this for yourself.

https://shop.anthem.com/sales/eox/abcbs/me/en/shop/plans/details/snq?execution=e1s33

No offense taken.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Sparky1. My abject apologies! I wasn't paying attention. I was actually responding to Breakfast of Champions. Your figures are right on the money. Thanks for the Info.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Honestly Spoletta, I don't owe you anything and didn't ask for an apology or admission of being wrong. I can't give you all of my parents' information because at the time when that happened I wasn't shunned and now I am. Not exactly something I can go back and revisit. Oh, and my dad died in April, so I can't exactly ask him even if I wasn't shunned. You believe what you want to believe, just like you believe that there are so few people gaming the system. Again, inexpensive isn't free, and it did cost my parents more than they were paying before with no insurance. Can you at least understand that? When you live so close to the edge it may make one have to go back to work.

I do have to say though that since you haven't yet shared your budget and where you spend your personal funds we can't see yet if you're putting your money where your mouth is and "concentrate on taking care of everyone, not just yourself". There are lots of people in Africa and Syria waiting for your money beyond that roof over your head, food in your belly, and clothes on your back. Since you're righteous with other people's money, I hope you're as righteous with your own. We need facts, otherwise we just have to assume you merely talk a good game. I'll need to see receipts, and I truly do hope that your outlook and ideals are reflected in your money. I may not feel the same, but I'd love to see how your finances play out in doing your part to save the world. Maybe it will inspire others.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Heaven forbid that you get sick in the USA or need surgery or need to stay in a hospital -without health insurance they will bleed you dry. It won't cost you a couple of thousand dollars -but tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands or as much as they can get from you, even your house if you own one. There is not limit to the amount of money they can extract from you; the hospital or doctors will make up numbers in any amounts of their choosing and bill you for such amounts -And so people don't go for checkups or tests when they should and something that might have been cured at an early stage winds up being terminal, but the person with insurance goes for checkups and tests as often as they want and doctors catch things in time, and as a result have a better chance at health than the ones that do not see a doctor regularly. What a mockery that in one of the most richest countries in the world the average person cannot afford to have surgery because it will cost him his house or everything that he has. It is utterly ridiculous that in the US, the average person cannot afford to go to a hospital for surgery or treatment: And so, Obamacare for the average colonial that cannot even afford to pay his rent but does not qualify for government assisted health care, and now such has to fork over thousands a year or face punishment.
  • Spoletta
    Spoletta

Dubstepped. Glad to admit when I'm wrong. Spent the afternoon researching every article I could find, found a source I trust, and found that in certain situations, people do indeed fall between the cracks. I'm sorry to hear about your father, and wish your mother all the best.

I do, however, still feel strongly about a single payer system that provides free care to everyone. It does work in other countries, despite all the naysayers, and I can't help but think that your parents would have had a better outcome if such a system had been in place.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. My rant was directed mainly at those who can afford health care, but feel that those who don't should be left to fend for themselves. I'm all for strict regulations and penalties for those that game the system, but wish it applied as much to the 1% as the rest of us.

As far as my activities, I do as much community service as I can, help out at my son's high school, and regularly contribute to Mercy Corps and Doctors Without Borders, when I can. When my 84 year old mother had a bad fall 2 years ago, I was her caregiver every afternoon for about 6 months, so I do understand a little of your concern for your parents.

Anyway, I hope you'll accept my apology, and know that I wish only the best for you and your family.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Just remember world powers do not care about its people especially when it comes to health care. All their money goes to ways of killing others. I was happy with Obamacare with all its warts. Yes it needs to be worked on but what does'n't. The one thing that was great about it was they could not denieprevious health problems. The bad thing about it is large insurance companies was still making money on it. The Republican party is not happy unless some large corporation is not making money. This county is all about the dollar and nothing else. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon

Interesting segment on PBS news about "super-utilisers" ... the 5% of patients that consume 50% of healthcare resources. Similar to crime where small numbers of the population account for most of the resources, the issues are sometimes related and sometimes complex interrelated issues.

Apparently, some counties using data pattern tech used in crime has been used to identify people or local issues and try and find the root cause which can be addressed at a much lower cost.

The bottom line is, throwing money at something isn't always the issue - but some people will be happy with money being thrown. Smarted holistic approaches are needed and can be more beneficial and cost effective than allowing the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries drive everything.

The one things probably guaranteed is that the republicans don't care so much about the poorest and least fortunate in society and don't look like they are focused on improving their outlook.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Premiums have increased greatly.

Deductibles and co-insurance have increased greatly.

The only hospital in this city is NOT available to those with individual ACA policies, only employer-sponsored traditional plans are accepted there.

"Like your doctor, keep your doctor"? Not if she is fed up with the bureaucracy and can afford to retire. The most experienced GP/family care doctors who do not need to work the longer hours for lower pay are going away, leaving the less experienced ones to see more patients per hour and struggle to get paid by the insurance companies.

Competition between insurance companies is greatly reduced, only a handful remain in the market. The well known, reputable companies are leaving the state exchange, leaving only smaller, weaker companies available for individual ACA clients. As a result, the state insurance exchange is failing, and must increase rates to stave off insolvency.

Mandate for coverage of pre-existing conditions has led to "free-loading," where young healthy persons opt to pay the tax penalty for being uninsured, knowing they can sign up later and be covered if their luck runs out. In other words, the ACA pool has a non-representative ratio of sick:healthy individuals. (See above re. "insolvency")

One-size-fits-all plans means paying for coverage you could not possibly need, while being poorly covered for what you do. Great-grandma has no need for maternity care!

In short, ACA took everything that was wrong with the US health care system, and made it official policy.

Don't get sick!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Sparky1"So many unwed mothers, worthless drjnks, drug addicts"

Here we go again,.... blame the bottom of the pile who might score a few dollars a week out of the system to maintain their oh so"idyllic life "that all the belittlers would love to swap with them for. Don't you know it's the tax fiddling, wealth inheriting or marrying into RICH THAT COST THE ORDINARY FOLK THE MOST!!!

God when will they learn!

Most of what we have - health, intelligence, identity,family, land, nationality,sex, security, talent, interests, housing, titles, ability, no use,, athleticism even the predisposition to work hard ( if what most of us do in the west could be called "hard"work) we have not earned.....we have not deserved, we were born this way and mostly in our cases very luckily so.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I ask all of you outside of the United States, no matter what problems and beefs you may have with your medical care. Would you trade it for the system we presently have in one of the richest countries in the world?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit