Could any American posters please explain to this Brit' why so many of your countrymen are hostile to Obamacare?

by nicolaou 93 Replies latest members politics

• waton
    waton
    VI: Private insurance also redistributes wealth. From the healthy who don't need services to the sick who get out more than they could pay by themselves.

actually from the healthy, who pay, but do not use the service,-- to the health care providers. (insurance or actual hands on work). bsw:

if you travel to the USA, make sure your travel health insurance is top notch, because if anything happens, and you need help. god help you. not.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

My wife and I had a policy in the previous free market that was essentially to cover catastrophic issues. It was grandfathered in for a few years but was discontinued for 2017, sticking us into the general Obamacare system. We now pay 2.5 times the monthly premium for literally the worst policy with a $15,000 deductible, making it virtually nothing more than an expensive catastrophic policy. Yay Obamacare!

The medical system is also being plugged up with people that don't work but run to the doctor for every hangnail. People get a cough and go to the emergency room. It's ridiculous, and I, a person that other than routine physicals deals with headaches and flus on my own, gets stuck paying for people that abuse the system. I don't much like working my ass off to pay for others that don't or that abuse the system by overuse or under reporting income to get better rates.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Reading what most Americans pay for Health Insurance is shocking, even with Obamacare. How can it be that expensive with such a high volume of the population paying those premiums ?

How can a country like the UK which has almost 90 million people have their medical paid for free through general taxation and for most part its pretty good ?

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is a misunderstanding that most Americans oppose the ACA.

Most Americans understand the need for universal healthcare coverage. Those who don't are in the minority, but are vocal and people in other countries seem to believe they are representative of the majority.

Obamacare is a nickname created by opponents--the same opponents who severely limited and sabotaged its success. This was done deliberately to pave the way for them to come in and pass a similar but differently named law that does the same thing.

Extremists say they want to totally repeal it because it didn't work. Intelligent people understand it takes longer than a few years to make such enormous reform "work", and the flaws in the ACA (engineered by opponents) needed to be fixed so it could succeed.

One example of why it takes a long time to determine the ACA's success is the fact that the uninsured had been in poor health for their whole lives. Suddenly they had insurance and got care. Costs, as expected, would go up during this time.

• LV101
    LV101

It's a mess. I agree with many posts here and it's discouraging. Everyone should have healthcare - Obama care was pushed through and definitely needs tweaking.

According to those of the medical community, many Canadians have to come to US to get on MRI machines, etc., - I'm sure many aspects of their healthcare system works but clearly it could improve. Has to be better than what we have here. We already paid serious taxes toward our county/state hospitals which had the latest medical technology in many states for those without insurance.

Many doctors have quit the business in the US. Malpractice ins. and costs put them in the red. Something is radically wrong.

• LV101
    LV101

I disagree about Americans being spoiled rotten. Many Americans are the hardest working people -- some working 2 jobs to care for themselves and their families and paying taxes to help the underprivileged. Unfortunately, those in need get little for their efforts.

Americans are the most generous - always contributing the most to catastrophes and the world's emergencies.

The social systems are having their share of issues - the governments' money runs out at some point.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

In Canada, health care is provided through general taxation. We are thankful for Medicare, but there are many complaints about slow delivery of services. The government requires people to buy prescription medication insurance however for medications that are not covered by Medicare. Dental insurance is totally private. Fortunately, there are private clinics for those who are willing to pay for faster service.

• LV101
    LV101

Vanderhoven7 - I think it's improved in Canada. There are many Canadians who live in my city and they are quite fond of our great medical centers in the US. They don't want to wait mos to be diagnosed like in many of the social countries. I'm sure aspects of Canada's medical healthcare are good.

I think most Americans want to pay taxes for a good health plan system for all. Unfortunately, there are too many who take advantage of the government's healthcare system and want handouts of every type - maybe they're too unstable/mental to work - who knows. Too few paying taxes.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Short version: Obama is a black man.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the "black man" card is overplayed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit