Could any American posters please explain to this Brit' why so many of your countrymen are hostile to Obamacare?

by nicolaou 93 Replies latest members politics

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    It's redistribution of wealth

they are redistributing it from the middle class then who is by no means wealthy

• never a jw
    never a jw

they are redistributing it from the middle class then who is by no means wealthy,

Agree. Money is coming from the rich too, except that a few extra thousand dollars from the rich doesn't make a dent on their wealth. They can easily offset the losses by investing in healthcare companies and mutual funds

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

freemindfade,

they are redistributing it from the middle class then who is by no means wealthy

Private insurance also redistributes wealth. From the healthy who don't need services to the sick who get out more than they could pay by themselves.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    Neverajw
    Wasn't the other way around? Most Republicans against it, all Democrats in favor

Exactly what I meant

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Private insurance also redistributes wealth. From the healthy who don't need services to the sick who get out more than they could pay by themselves.

A good thing surely?

• Simon
    Simon

This to me sums up how healthcare is politicized:

Note the dip in support coinciding with Obama's presidency?

I don't think the dems opinion on it changed. That was the republicans refused to support something they want and need unless it's their guy doing it.

In the same way that deficits are the worst thing imaginable when Obama was in office but suddenly it's OK to whip the countries credit card out to pay for anything and everything.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

The problem with American politics and socializing things is not so much one of principle. I don't think anyone, regardless of origin or belief, likes for the government to interfere more than they need to. It is, in my view, one of political gain. The bi partisan system allows the philosophy of...."If it wasn't our idea, it is a bad idea and must be repealed". This way it ensures your way to the next election. It only fails when a party does not see what people are really longing for.

Obama care never really lowered the health care costs. It just sought for a way to make it payable (not affordable). If anything, considering that cost was never argued about, knowing that now more people could pay for it, prices went up. It was initially supposed to have provisions for you to be able to take home left over medications from the hospitals, like pills and bandages. That was shot down as far as I know. And the hospital I used to work for would charge you for a whole roll of gauze even if you only needed a couple of inches. The roll would be re used on the next patient, whom would also be charged for a whole roll. I worked with the purchasing and billing systems. Our pricing mark up (300 to 900%) left many veteran employees from McKesson (the largest pharma provider in the world) with their mouth wide open in disbelief.

My last visit to the ER for a pressure check, chest xrays and EKG was a whopping $7800. I had to hire a lawyer to argue the bill and I am just lucky that my employer provides that service to protect their own ass.

So, in a few words, if you think the WT is evil, there are more evil institutions out there. The only difference is that you rather have choice in the case of your health and exercising such choice would not get you DFd and shunned.

• Simon
    Simon

One of governments roles should be to control the excesses of corporations. Sadly, the US government fails miserably to do this in numerous ways. It is run by and for, the benefit of the corporations that now control it.

Watch "Requiem for the American Dream" by Noam Chomsky. He breaks it down piece by piece.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Village Idiot,

Nicolaou,

A good thing surely?

Yes, sorry I didn't make it more clear.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Since I handle the finances of the company that I work for, I decided to take a look back just 10 years ago. Here is what I found:

In January 2007 I was 51 years old.

My health insurance premium was $362.39 per month.

$20.00 copay for office visits.

$1,500.00 deductible.

$1,500.00 out of pocket expense.

In January 2017 I am 61 years old.

My health insurance premium is $876.93 a month.

$35.00 copay for office visits.

$2,500.00 deductible.

$5,500.00 out of pocket expense.

In 10 years my premium more than doubled.

My office copay nearly doubled.

My deductible went up $1,000.00.

My out of pocket expense almost quadrupled.

So much for 'affordable care' for the 'middle class'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit