Could any American posters please explain to this Brit' why so many of your countrymen are hostile to Obamacare?

by nicolaou 93 Replies latest members politics

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Do not listen to anyone who claims the ACA/Obamacare doesn't work or has a "death panel" for you once you reach a certain age. Not true at all. I know a woman in her late eighties who still receives ALL the care and medication she needs. Nobody is trying to cut her off or slowly kill her. I personally know people who have finally received surgeries that have vastly improved and even saved their lives, including children, and one thing I cannot stand is ignoramuses who claim that Obamacare benefits no one. I have personally seen it save lives. There are CHILDREN who would be DEAD right now if not for Obamacare!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    "Honestly, I don't get it. As I understand, the Affordable Care Act aims to improve care for millions of Americans by providing access to affordable health insurance and regulating the health insurance industry in the US."

Baloney, or codswallop or bullocks. The Act makes it compulsory for everyone to purchase ( or have ) said insurance. At first, the premium cost for so many benefits was alluring; but the cheap premium didn't last long and now it is another "tax burden" and the premium will get higher and higher. In the US, who has money when forced to pay ten thousand dollars or so a year on health insurance? The poor in the US get free or very cheap health coverage anyway and don't need such a law to help them. The law affects the average middle class American and small business owners, etc. that doesn't need another financial burden.

That is how the average colonial sees it, but not JW ( being neutral in politics. ) JW just do what Is required

• pbrow
    pbrow

It is not the governments job to mandate that every citizen must purchase INSURANCE (not healthcare) just like its not the goverments job to mandate that every citizen must purchase a house/car/food or anything else.

For many of us it has nothing to do with how much my premium is/was/will be. It is a principal rooted in self reliance and personal accountability. Nothing more and nothing less.

I am not naive to notice that this principal is not followed by many leaders and many people throughout our history. That is my view but I welcome my antagonists on the other side of the issue so that we may form a more perfect union through rugged debate.

pbrow

• Simon
    Simon
    It is not the governments job to mandate that every citizen must purchase INSURANCE (not healthcare) just like its not the goverments job to mandate that every citizen must purchase a house/car/food or anything else.

Wrong analogy. Purchasing car insurance is more equivalent ... and yes, the government mandates that you purchase that.

The "self reliance" claim is false because no one knows whether they will become ill or not. Those who don't were not "self reliant" in any way, just fortunate.

• Simon
    Simon

Paul Ryan's "explanation" of their approach sounds more like having death-panels than Obamacare ever did. It also doesn't make sense - how can it be cheaper to exclude sick people from coverage and how would they do it? Think about it - the only way is to allow the insurance companies to cease coverage when someone becomes seriously ill and then .... the tax payer has to pick up the slack? He doesn't really go into much detail there, just waffle, waffle, waffle.

The main thing is (for them) that the companies they can invest in and who pay huge sums to lobby can make more money easier without having to deliver much of a service or product.

Healthcare costs in the US are the most expensive in the world. The least proportion is also spent on actual healthcare, most going on administration and overheads. Duplicate work in each state and often less collective purchasing power than the UK or Canada. Dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaMDRx1Jl0

• just fine
    just fine

For me it was the restrictions put on employers who had "Cadillac" plans for their employees. If an employer wants to have fantastic health insurance for their employees - the government should butt out.

• sir82
    sir82

The reason?

A black man thought it up.

Laugh if you like, but it's the boiled-down truth for several 10's of millions of Americans.

• pbrow
    pbrow

State governments force you to buy car insurance.. I should have clarified. The federal government should not be in the forcing you to buy insurance business. If a particular group of people (read state government) decides they want to mandate insurance I can come to terms with that. (Hello Mr Romney) States rights vs Federal rights will continue to rage for the foreseeable future and I tend to side with the states.

Self reliance is not a claim. It is a view of how I live my life. If I want catastrophic insurance for my family and just want to pay cash for regular Dr visits then I should be able to do that. If I want to put money away every month for heathcare (not insurance) than I should be able to do that. Fuck... if I want to buy health insurance I should be able to do that.

Millions of Americans dont have proper health care. Lets solve that problem, but the Federal Goverment forcing you to buy a private product cannot be the solution.

pbrow

edit.... oh yeah... A black man brought it up... Wait.. I thought Ted Kennedy was white?

• Simon
    Simon
    The reason? A black man thought it up.

I think it has more to do with political party than color. This endless blaming everything on race is tired and old and needs to stop. Claims of racism should be reserved for things where there is actual evidence of racism.

Self reliance is not a claim. It is a view of how I live my life. If I want catastrophic insurance for my family and just want to pay cash for regular Dr visits then I should be able to do that. If I want to put money away every month for heathcare (not insurance) than I should be able to do that.

Except people don't just get sick and stay home, they become a burden. Sure, sign a "do not help" pledge so they can just throw you straight in a pit.

Normal civilization doesn't work like that.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Perhaps an over simplification. What many do is use the term health CARE and health INSURANCE interchangeably.

They are vastly different as anyone who has become entangled in the nightmare of trying to obtain health INSURANCE can verify. Personally my mandated INSURANCE premiums went up by nearly 100%. No other choices in the zip code where I live! It is now a break even cost to either pay the tax penalty or the premium. My health CARE coverage has declined by nearly 50%, and the maximum deductible has increased by just over 30%. As I am reasonably healthy and so rarely need to use medical facilities or doctors I find that I am one of the people who are bearing the financial cost for the unhealthy. Google Hope & Change and read the experiences of that sites owner in the health coverage fiasco that is Ă˜bama"care".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit