What is life?

by punkofnice 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LUHE - I sometimes think I should be striving for great achievements. My daughter tells me that just little things that bring joy each day should be good enough.

prologos - Yes. I believe life is just an accident.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

tiki - This is the thing. Unless someone actually comes face to face with me and tells me they are alive and I KNOW they died......then I cannot believe on blind faith.

Slidin - I do fear oblivion. I want to see all that happens after I go. Eternity has been taken from me.

• Landy
    Landy

LUHE - I sometimes think I should be striving for great achievements. My daughter tells me that just little things that bring joy each day should be good enough.

Your daughter is wise - listen to her. The witnesses and other religious zealots will tell you how can not enjoy life if it doesn't have a purpose.

My particular purpose today is to look forward to a nice meal out with the wife tonight.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Landy - Enjoy your meal. My daughter is a school teacher. I'm rather proud of her. she has wisdom beyond her years.

• anointed1
    anointed1
    punkofnice

We can find answer through the fact of death.

It is IMPOSSIBLE that anything so natural, so necessary, and so universal as death, should ever have been designed by providence as an evil to mankind.(Jonathan Swift, English satirist) “Let death be daily before your eyes, and you will never entertain any abject thought, nor too eagerly covet anything.” (Epictetus, Greek philosopher) Socrates had absolute clarity on this subject, hence described death as “the greatest of all human blessings” and “the greatest good that can happen” to us because it prevents one’s feeling of self-importance from growing eternally.

Thus humans have something as universal as death, and also the too vast size of universe itself [in which our earth itself would look smaller than a tiny dot making humans feel too insignificant] that can help an individual not to develop self-importance which makes life a hell for himself and others! Now try going egoless—it would make life a heaven for yourself and those around you.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

anointed1 - Even myself being fairly nihilistic doesn't work. After contemplating the futility of life, becoming sober and detatched, I switch to default mode when something comes up.....however trivial...........I go back to being a warped himan with emotions again.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Life is just a big accident, and your daughter is right- "just little things that bring joy each day should be good enough."

Life has no purpose, so feel free to superimpose a purpose of your own.

George Harrison decided that life has meaning with "you by my side."

What I feel, I can't say
    But my love is there for you anytime of day
    But if it's not love that you need
    Then I'll try my best to make everything succeed

Tell me, what is my life without your love
    Tell me, who am I without you, by my side

What I know, I can do
    If I give my love now to everyone like you

What I feel, I can't say
    But my love is there for you any time of day

Oh tell me, what is my life without your love

What is my life without your love

Oh tell me, what is my life without your love
    Tell me who am I without you by my side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XFfUt7HQWM

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

OTWO - Gotta love that song. thanks.

• A Believer
    A Believer

Although I do believe in God and have reasons for it and why the End is near I do think about Aethist views sometime.

Although Aethist hate some religions idea of a Hell, what they believe in is way worse. Nothing. Not even a reward in heaven like those other religons believe. That's scary.

I wonder what my mindset would be 40-50 years from now when I'm in my 60s or 70s if the End hasn't came. My aunt is 69 and she says she doesn't think it will be that long. But I also remember one time driving to a assembly my moms friend was telling about how her brother said he didn't think the End will come out until ten more years.

She said she told him "do you really think it will be ten more years?" And now look. That was 2005 and it's to be 12 years.

• A Believer
    A Believer

And although my fellow JW teach that after 1914 it would be only a short amount of time until the End comes...I've realized that we don't understand time like Jehovah. To a Enternal God, even a 1000 years would be a short amount of time because of how long he has been. I just pray to Jehovah that it will be soon and let me be one of those that do get to crossover and be alive to see it from the beginning.

Edit: That created some kind of link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit