Does the WTS have a clergy class (yes-no)

by blondie 46 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

WT 2021 October p.20 "In contrast, true worshippers of Jehovah have no clergy. Although we respect those who are taking the lead, we accept Jesus’ clear teaching: “All of you are brothers.”"

ijbq Article 92 point 6: In contrast, true worshippers of Jehovah have no clergy. Although we respect those who are taking the lead, we accept Jesus’ clear teaching: “All of you are brothers.”

or WT 1994 8/15 p. 11 "In contrast, the Witnesses have no paid clergy"

No "paid clergy" isn't "no clergy" except in a quibbly legal way of looking at.

Yet the WTS claims confidentiality under the clergy-penitent basis as to reporting child abuse cases to secular authorities identifying themselves as "clergy." "In 2020 the Ivy Hill Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation in Philadelphia asked a Commonwealth Court to officially rule elders have clergy-penitent privilege. The court denied the request, leaving the elders’ status undefined."https://casetext.com/case/ivy-hill-congregation-of-jehovahs-witnesses-v-pa-dept-of-human-servs

So which is true can both be true?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Yes, absolutely, elders are clergy.

JW elders have much more control over the lives of JWs than most clergy have over their flocks.

"...the Witnesses have no paid clergy"

Not all clergy are paid.

Watchtower claims no clergy simply to set themselves apart from other churches, appearing on the surface to be different. It is simply a sales pitch, and a pretty tired one at that.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BLONDIE & SCENIC VIEWER:

I would say, Yes, they do, but it’s an unpaid and plainclothes type.

I was raised Roman Catholic and when I ‘studied’ with the JWs they assured me ‘we don’t have a clergy class’ and I believed them.. But, it would appear they either lied through their teeth or else they didn’t understand what their religion was about. Maybe they thought if somebody wasn’t wearing purple robes they couldn’t possibly be clergy(?)

To me it seems the religion wants the luxury of having it both ways.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Interestingly, this was one of the major things that encouraged me to physically leave the religion. This was concerning the Menlo Park incident where they also claimed to be a hierarchical religion like the Catholic Church. I remember at the time, as I was some what of an innocent PIMQ, been totally flawed at seeing that. It very much upset me that they said that.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

blondie: Yet the WTS claims confidentiality under the clergy-penitent basis as to reporting child abuse cases to secular authorities identifying themselves as "clergy."

In other words, they do not have a clergy, until it is convenient to have one.

• Ding
    Ding

They would probably say, "Theologically we have no clergy class, but the governing authority only sees things in Christendom's terms, so be their definition--not ours--we do..."

Translation: The lawyers came up with this.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Menlo park was an absolute scandal.

I would also say that COs and to some extent missionaries are paid. Because much of it is "in kind" such as health insurance (where needed), car insurance and free accommodation (again where needed) doesn't mean it isn't income. Or at least the kind of income other clergy get.

Remember many clergy in 'Babylon' are given a minimal stipend and provided free accommodation etc. Some probably live on considerably less than COs with wealthy areas/congregations. My first husband's uncles were Catholic priests and according to my father in law, it very much depends where the Diocese is, as to how comfortably the priest lives. Like COs they too seem to benefit from generous congregants (or they did. Maybe things have changed). My husband's uncle collected antique silver as a hobby which apparently kept him comfortable later in life.

I think Watchtower elders have all the work without the benefits, the education and the societal respect.

• Dagney
    Dagney

They don't have clergy until they need one in court to avoid responsibility in lawsuits.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

What Dagney said,,, bang on 100%

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I just love it when Blondie kicks the Watchtower's ass!

Grandpa!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit