Does the WTS have a clergy class (yes-no)

by blondie 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Konagirl
    Konagirl

Fisherman - "The JW do not identify as having a clergy and laity class, all brothers. That is how JW self define."

Self-defined on the surface only. You may think that they are all “brothers”, but the elder “clergy”/pseudo priesthood, the elders themselves, must be obeyed. Any time someone is told to obey someone else, a class distinction is made.

Jesus expected obedience to his word, and if anyone brings the teachings of Christ as an “ambassador” of Christ, it is still the word of God that is to be obeyed, not the person. Faithful “leaders” in Christ, led individuals to Jesus Christ, not to themselves. But since the organization has its own set of rules that add and detract from the word of God, it is not a surprise that JWs must obey the elders.

“When we loyally obey the elders and other brothers appointed by “the faithful and discreet slave,” we show that we want to help Christ’s brothers.” ws15 3/15 pp. 24-29

“Why do we obey the elders? Because we appreciate these “gifts in men” and we love Jehovah and Christ, the Head of the congregation.” ws14 6/15 p. 8

“Is it, in fact, men I am now trying to persuade or God? Or am I seeking to please men? If I were yet pleasing men, I would not be Christ’s slave.” Gal 1:10

By the way, the “gifts in men” apply to the “saints”/anointed that the elders hold authority over, and which authority cannot be “challenged”. Eph 4:4-12 (Wt 02/8/1)

What happens if someone challenges the “authority” of an elder? No brotherhood to be found there.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg claims they don't have a 'clergy class'.

But actions speak louder than words. In every way they do have one by picking and choosing the correct words when it befits them and reaping the benefits of "clergy penitent"

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

reaping the benefits of "clergy penitent"

Horsefeathers, first of all, elders face judicial committees too and nobodyJW is is laity in JW. And confidentiality laws apply without having a clergy which by definition requires a laity class. Although there is a rank and hierarchy in JW: Brother, Sister, pioneer, ms, elder, co, gb, angel JC, God, there is no clergy and not laity like in christendom who also has laity.

And again when legislation governs clergy, since JW does not legally have a clergy, the Court decides how legislation applies to jw managers who while being in charge are not clergy because any jw male can also be promoted to elder which is not tge case in christendom where members of the laity are separate and cannot hold office whereas every jw is a minister. You are pretending and closing your eyes to facts.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If the Governing Body (TM) (Pee be upon them), could gain money if they declared they had a Clergy, what do you think they'd say?

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

“All Jehovah’s Witnesses are equal, - but some are more equal than others”

(with apologies to G. Orwell)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Good one!

• blondie
    blondie

Tonus, I missed this response. You said what I figured out. "blondie: Yet the WTS claims confidentiality under the clergy-penitent basis as to reporting child abuse cases to secular authorities identifying themselves as "clergy."

In other words, they do not have a clergy, until it is convenient to have one.

The WTS speaks out of both sides of the mouth, often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit