WT and Higher ED

by enoughisenough 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I guess I was not "Spiritual" enough. My first car was a two door . It was all I could afford.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

My first car was a 2-door little compact Nissan

I just finished high school, that was all I could afford at that tender age 18 and I was viewed as "spiritually weak".

Invites to gatherings,,dinners and socializing events became next to nothing.

Aweful.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Underlining is mine. This is a letter to elders from over ten years ago. Has the WT become more dogmatic about this subject? It would seem to depend on where you live & how strict the elder body is.

March 6, 2012 Letter To Elders:

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS Re: Reminders from Kingdom Ministry School held during 2011 service year Dear Brothers:

Pursue divine education: Some of our brothers are pursuing higher education, feeling that they can acquire a measure of financial security. As you are aware, the educational system varies from country to country. In the United States, for example, public schools offer 12 years of basic education. Thereafter, students may choose to attend university for four or more years, leading to a bachelor's degree or to postgraduate studies for careers in medicine, law, engineering, and so forth. Such university education is what we mean when the term "higher education" is used.—w05 10/1 pp. 26-31.

Of course, education is an essential part of Christian life, and we highly value it. Education equips us to care for our responsibilities, both material and spiritual. (1 Tim. 5:8) However, Satan, the master of deception, has made the pursuit of higher education dangerous for a Christian. (2 Cor. 11:14) Many of our young people have been misled from the faith or have become involved in immorality as a result of pursuing higher education. The "fight for the faith" is especially challenging when one leaves the good influence of his home and congregation and places himself in the university environment. (Jude 3) Besides involving bad associations, higher education often erodes faith in Jehovah God and in the Bible. All must weigh carefully the disadvantages and any perceived advantages of pursuing higher education before determining what they will do. Christians must remember that the purpose of any supplementary education should be to praise Jehovah and serve him as much and as effectively as possible, while providing for material needs.—Eccl. 12:13.

Appointed men must be exemplary in heeding the warnings given by the faithful slave and its Governing Body when it comes to education. (Matt. 24:4547) Would an elder, a ministerial servant, or a pioneer continue to qualify to serve as such if he, his wife, or his children pursue higher education? Much depends on the circumstances and how he is viewed. When such a situation arises, the body of elders should consider the following questions and scriptures:

Does he show that he puts Kingdom interests first? (Matt. 6:33)

Does he teach his family to put Kingdom interests first?

Does he respect what has been published by the faithful slave on the dangers of higher education? (3 John 9)

Do his speech and conduct reveal that he is a spiritual person? (Ps. 12, 3; 1 Cor. 2:13-16)

How is he viewed by the congregation?

Why is he or his family pursuing higher education?

Does the family have theocratic goals? (Phil. 3:8)

Does the pursuit of higher education interfere with regular meeting attendance, meaningful participation in field service, or other theocratic activities?

The BOE's are told to review and consider the above factors. Also the brother and his family’s general overall attitude are evaluated. If an elder or ministerial servant is promoting higher education to others for the material advantages or the status it may bring, he is calling into question his qualifications to serve the congregation because of the effect on his and fellow appointed brothers’ freeness of speech. (1 Tim. 3:13; Titus 1:9) The body of elders may determine that the brother no longer qualifies to serve.

Many elders are annoyed at having this decision placed upon them from up top. They feel it opens up a whole can of worms, resentment, judging, favoritism etc. Lots of vindictive brothers (elders) are just waiting for their chance to make a case against a fellow elder. Also the questions used to evaluate that brother and his family is totally subjective. The way elders answer them are just based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Elders I remember from the past who had kids go to 4 years or more university knew well, to keep their head down low & their yap shut to avoid rocking the boat and draw attention to themselves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Drive up to the KH in this:

Roll out!

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    Drive up to the KH in this:
    Roll out!

Makes me think of this 'classic' (ahem) hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxp6OG8izQg

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

... although personally, I preferred the British parody 'version' 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit