Will Ukraine win?

by Fisherman 94 Replies latest social current

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Russia has a much bigger problem with Ultranationlism and Xenophobic hate groups. I have Russian friends. It is a huge problem. They can't even play football in half of Europe because of it. You can't be gay, or a person of colour in certain parts of the country. I asked them how a country that lost 20 million to actual Nazis in WW2 can have the largest number of Neo Nazi skinheads on earth.

I know....it confuses the hell out of me, too, so many Ukrainians died. Mind you most of the camp guards were Ukrainian (and Lithuanian) plus the Einsatsgruppen were made up of them.

But...apparently they've been dismantling monuments to the Soviets defeating the Nazis. One huge tank (probably the famous T-34) was dismantled and many other monuments prior to the war. I have to say I think that's despicable when you think of the blood the Soviets spilled in defeating the Nazis, it's not right.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You can't be gay - you can be gay in Russia, if you're discreet about it. Putin probably knows some gay people in his wider circle of acquaintances.

What you can't do is have gay pride marches and wave rainbow flags whilst demanding 'change'.

You can be gay in Russia, you just can't be queer*.

* queer in this context means politically gay - all that marching with rainbow flags and shit.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Russia is holding back

What for? To stretch out the war and get more Russian troops k1lled in the meantime? And spend more money in a long and drawn out war instead of a wham bam? Also,seems someone has been pocketing the rubbles instead of spending on decent military equipment.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Russia not liking Ukraine joining NATO is no justification for war and war crimes. Whilst the Russians may feel encircled by NATO the reality is NATO is not a military force that attacks first.

Some of the comments on this thread...you need your head checking. Russia raping and murdering and bombing kids and is somewhat justified because a peaceful military defensive alliance expands near it?

Jesus wept.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Will Ukraine win ? First off , there are never any winners in War.

Will Ukraine push Russian forces out out their Country ? maybe.

My fear is that the Russian forces are merely pulling back for the Winter, and will dig in, until the Spring. And then a big offensive will be mounted again.

The only weakness in this tactic is that a good number of Soldiers will be given leave , return home, and tell the truth about the war, which most Russians do not get. It is my hope that Public Opinion in Russia will turn against this War, and bring it to an end.

That may be a vain hope. I still think a Spring Offensive will go ahead anyway, but hopefully that will fail dismally, for Putin.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    the reality is NATO is not a military force that attacks first.

That’s actually wrong. It may surprise people to find out (it certainly shocked me) but NATO have a first strike policy for their nuclear arsenal if they believe nuclear war is imminent. They were invited the join a pact that committed to “no first strike” and they refused because they want to keep the option of first strike open. Russia’s policy is no first strike unless they face an “existential threat”.

Not only does NATO have a first strike policy with nuclear weapons (and lets be real, by NATO we mean the United States, as others have no say in the matter) but some American strategists are now arguing that they can win a nuclear war with Russia if they do strike first.

So while we are all worrying about the “crazy” Russians starting a nuclear war, are we really sure that the United States won’t “preemptively” strike Russia instead? The US of course is the only nation crazy enough thus far to have used nuclear weapons in war.

https://tnsr.org/roundtable/its-time-for-a-u-s-no-first-use-nuclear-policy/

• Corney
    Corney

The "NATO expansion" narrative is totally moronic and ridiculous.

First, Ukraine never had real prospects of joining NATO.

Secondly, NATO would not have any significant military infrastructure in Eastern Europe if not for the Russian aggression. And even the Bundeswehr has virtually ceased to exist, it's not a real military force anymore. Russia itself revitalizes NATO and pushes even countries like Finland and Sweden - that embraced neutrality for decades - to join the Alliance.

And thirdly, when the mentioned Northern nations - which are also Russia's neighbours - decided to become NATO members, the Kremlin showed virtually no reaction. Because it doesn't consider the "NATO expansion" to be a real threat.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Russia warns for decades about NATO expansion, and that Ukraine is absolutely a red line for them.

I couldn’t agree more. Russia can justify the invasion (right or wrong). If DT was president, Russia would not have invaded Ukraine; other than that, as long as Ukraine keeps building friends with Russia’s enemies instead of taking sides with Russia, Russian aggression is inevitable. Also, Russia wants Ukraine short of a puppet Ukraine. The proximate cause of the invasion is Ukraine taking sides with Russia’s enemies and not submitting to Russia.

• waton
    waton

what Russia has to come to realize is, that its neighbours do want to hugged by the bear, The populations are still bearing the marks of Russian expansionism. Fortunately for Russia, in its 20th century foray into Europe, attacking Poland, the baltics, Finland, the west was on their side.

The west is now closing ranks, they had enough of the constant threat from the east.

The line has to be drawn at the russian border.

Matka, babushka russia, look after your children first, bring them up to the normal, western standards.

• waton
    waton

not saying, that authoritarian regimes can not do great things for their populations, China is to be admired to have lifted the Billion to great prosperity and worldwide strength.

Europe has seen its wars in the last century or two, but nothing like the savagery of the eastern conflicts, (without attaching blame) Gorby and all of my generation want it to stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit