Will Ukraine win?

by Fisherman 94 Replies latest social current

• Corney
    Corney

Yep, President Zelenskyy has made it clear he's not interested in capitulation.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

With the setbacks Russia has had to deal with ,Ukraine gaining more ground ,will Putin to save face justify ,legitimise ,using nuclear weapons to gain an ultimate victory citing the precedence of the USA using Nuclear weapons to end the war in 1945.?

It wouldn`t surprise me.

• waton
    waton

It is a sad day when a superpower has to threaten a little country like Ukraine with nuclear annihilation (of its defences)

Japan had suffered bigger daily losses in the fire bombings than the nukes. What also triggered Japan's surrender was the imminent threat of an Soviet occupation, with all its known horrors for the civilian population. (as compared with the benevolent US variety, as seen in Europe, 1945). ( ppsh41 bullets and boots vs, nylons and chocolate)

Whenever there was a moral superiority of the allies vs the Central powers, it was lost in 1945.

That is why Ukraine has that esprit de corps. it is fighting for the fate reserved for those conquered by the bear.

We would live in a better world had England issued an ultimatum to the invaders of Poland from the east too, as by treaty, in 1939,.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

At least for the moment, I can't imagine Putin agreeing to anything that would end the war aside from Ukraine surrendering. To lose would be to hand a victory to Ukraine, which would be intolerable after all of the justifications he gave to the Russian people. It would also be a victory for NATO, which would likely continue sanctions and do anything else --short of military action-- to rub his nose in his defeat.

I think it will be a war of attrition, quite possibly right to the very end. So it would be a matter of who runs out of fighting men first. And in the end, both countries will have suffered damage and losses that will take decades to recover from. Even in victory, this could spell the end of Russia as even a moderately powerful nation.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

"(as compared with the benevolent US variety, as seen in Europe, 1945)"

The occupation of Western Europe was benevolent compared to the Soviet zones, but that is apparent in hindsight. I don't think this affected Japanese plans in the summer of 1945, though. The war in Europe was barely over, there hadn't been enough time to see what form it would eventually take.

I think that the firebombing,the coming American invasion in November, the Soviets declaring war and finally the atomic bombs gave them a choice of surrender or suicide. Once under occupation, the fact that it was mostly benevolent came as a pleasant surprise.

(an interesting tangent: A typhoon in October 1945 went right over what would have been the staging area for the Invasion of Japan. I've wondered how much of a delay, if any, this would have caused.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit