Intriguing - but Unsubstantiated!

by The Searcher 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    They could probably rename the religion as "Jehovah's Born-Again Witnesses" and it wouldn't faze the loyalist rank-and file...
  • Magnum
    Magnum

I agree, Vidiot.

prologos, that makes it even more feasible; if they went from "Jehovah's Witnesses" to "Jehovah's Worshippers", they could retain the "JW.ORG" name & logo and all the associated idolatrous paraphernalia.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I am entirely convinced they could change their name to "JoHoz Zombies" and 90% of them wouldn't bat an eye.

It would be a rich spiritual blessing/the celestial chariot moving forward/the End must be soooooooo close.

• sir82
    sir82

Intriguing. Still fits with "JW.BORG" which is their main focus nowadays anyway.

A meaningless name change would excite the troops, just like shuffling the midweek meeting parts around and giving it a different name seemed to excite them.

Serves as a distraction to keep the R&F from noticing the rot.

Plausible, but I'd like to see further evidence.

• Splash
    Splash

As mere worshipers and not witnesses, does this mean there's no longer any need for the ministry?

*** w06 4/1 p. 24 par. 13 ‘Go and Make Disciples, Baptizing Them’ ***
    "When a person becomes one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he also assumes the responsibility to witness about his God."

What about the pride we should have in the name Jehovah's Witnesses?

*** w13 3/15 p. 28 par. 15 Honor Jehovah’s Great Name ***
    "The year 1931 was particularly noteworthy, for in that year the International Bible Students, as God’s people were then called, adopted the Scriptural name Jehovah’s Witnesses."

*** w80 2/1 p. 16 What Is Your Attitude Toward God’s Name? ***
    "A great international, worldwide family proudly bear the heavenly Father’s name as Jehovah’s Witnesses."
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    If they actually did change the name, could one argue that since one was baptized as a Jehovah's Witness, the name change severed your tie to the organization?
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

So if you get disfelloshipped they say So and so is no longer a Jehovah Worshipper? Won't that open them up to more lawsuits in the future?

As in serious slander as one was baptized a Jehova's Witnessle. Their saying before the congregation that so and so was no longer a worshipper and must be treated as a wicked person.

• Splash
    Splash

Awesome Cappytan!

“Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?”

"well it used to, but they don't exist anymore"
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wouldn't put anything past those lard bucket, gluttonous, paedophile protecting, watchtower rock star popes.

If they did do a name change, they'd do it for financial gain for the popes and their henchmen.

Follow the money.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Splash: As mere worshipers and not witnesses, does this mean there's no longer any need for the ministry?

Good question, but I don't think they'd spin it as "mere worshippers"; I think they'd say that the term "worshipper" is stronger and more inclusive than the term "witness". I think they could argue that one could witness for Jah half-heartedly, however if one truly worships him, then he would be moved to witness zealously and wholeheartedly. They could say that the name "Jehovah's Worshippers" is more appropriate because it implies a deep love and respect for Jah that would move one to action such as witnessing. They could say that being a worshipper of Jah most definitely includes being a witness of (or for) him. You know, they can spin things pretty much however they want and JWs will lap it up.

cappytan: If they actually did change the name, could one argue that since one was baptized as a Jehovah's Witness, the name change severed your tie to the organization?

I've wondered that same thing relative to all the other changes they've made. For example, when I became a JW, the FDS was all the anointed on earth. Now the FDS = seven men. I didn't agree to that. I should be able to sever my ties with no negative consequences just because of that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit