Intriguing - but Unsubstantiated!

by The Searcher 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

I might be wrong here but the governing body does not have the theological acumen nor the nutsacks to do a name change. They would not be able to justify a name change from a dogma point of view,

It would also cause a major split within the organization, with many people still using the old name. This would not only cause confusion but also deepen their financial difficulties. So unless they have a deep seated death wish I think the name will stay.

They also have 80+ years of brand recognition. (Think what New Coke did to the Coca Cola brand)

Stranger things have happened I'll admit, but a name change would just be suicide... but perhaps deep down in the Governing Body's heart of hearts that is exactly what they want to do.

Cmon G.O.D. Do it... just do it... pull the trigger!

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    Yes, a name change would make sense. According to JW Theology, strictly speaking it is only the anointed that should be called Jehovah's Witnesses. According to them, fleshly Israel has been replaced by the "Israel of God." The other sheep are not part of this Israel. They are merely companions of those belonging to the little flock.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the GB are purely front men. the WTS is a big business --run by businessmen. re branding makes a lot of sense--and its already started.

the target market is young people-----hence the sweeping changes already underway.

the widows mite is all very well--but its just not enough.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Saint, im saying the same thing: please dear Thor do it! Plleeeeeeaaaaase do it!
  • Magnum
    Magnum

Saintbertholdt: I might be wrong here

And I certainly might, too, but I'm enjoying this discussion and all the contributions to it thus far. Your post is interesting. It made me think.

Since you mentioned the "brand" thing...

They also have 80+ years of brand recognition.

... I'm wondering: Don't they want to actually get away from the old brand? It doesn't seem to me like a situation in which an entity has built up a positive brand name and wants to retain it. Their brand is associated with failed predictions, a history of loony teachings, etc. It seems to me that they are trying to rebrand and distance themselves from the old brand.

It seems to me that they are already lessening their use of the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" in favor of the brand name "JW" as in "JW.ORG". If so, then it would be an easy transition to the name "Jehovah's Worshippers".

I'm not sure that a name change would be suicide. As has already been mentioned, the rank and file will swallow it. Just think about it, they swallowed the new "generation" teaching when it was changed to something ridiculous that they can't provide good reasons for. They could, though, provide a logical reason for changing the name to "Jehovah's Worshippers" (as I've mentioned above). They could say that the term is more general and expresses more completely their relationship with and feelings for Jehovah - that it includes being witnesses and expresses their deep love and reverence for Jehovah, not just their witnessing for him.

I think they were/are already dying and knew/know they need a change. I actually kind of think it's suicide not to change the name. If they do change it, it could help in recruiiting in the future. If the uninformed type "Jehovah's Worshippers" into a search engine, they won't get all the negative stuff they do with "Jehovah's Witnesses". The name "Jehovah's Witnesses" to me becomes more and more embarrassing as time passes on with no foretold in sight, etc.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Datsun rebranded to Nissan ; Phillip Morris rebranded to Altri ; AIG Retirement rebranded to Sagepoint Finantial; Apple Computer rebranded to Apple.

There are usually three main reasons for a corporate rebranding:

1) Elimination of a negative image

2) Attempt to recuperate market share

3) Effort to stay relevant

In 1931, Rutherford rebranded the Bible Students into Jehovah's Witnesses because his organization was struggling to remain relevant after the massive dissent following the death of Russell and the 1925 fiasco.

84 years past, and the time is ripe for another rebranding, because certainly the WTS has too many skeletons in the closet and too much of a negative public image to keep dragging behind them - blood issue, refusal to salute flag and participate on military service, paedophilia scandals, annoying evangelizing tactics, false predictions, refusal to celebrate birthdays and hollidays, family breakups, shunning ...

Eden

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

Simon, just from a logical stand point of what “Witness” and Worshipper” mean. Strictly objective without bias. Can you really in vision a name change?

wit·ness ˈwitnəs/

noun

plural noun: witnesses

a person who sees an event, typically a crime or accident, take place. "police are appealing for witnesses to the accident" synonyms: observer, onlooker, eyewitness, spectator, viewer, watcher; More bystander, passerby "witnesses claimed that he started the fight" a person giving sworn testimony to a court of law or the police synonyms: deponent, testifier "she cross-examined the witness" a person who is present at the signing of a document and signs it themselves to confirm this.

evidence; proof. "the memorial service was witness to the wide circle of his interest" used to refer to confirmation or evidence given by signature, under oath, or otherwise. "in witness thereof, the parties sign this document" open profession of one's religious faith through words or actions. "faithful Christian witness"

a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

verb

3rd person present: witnesses

1. see (an event, typically a crime or accident) take place "a bartender who witnessed the murder"

synonyms: see, observe, watch, view, notice, spot; More be present at, attend; literarybehold;

informalget a look at "who witnessed the incident?" have knowledge of (an event or change) from personal observation or experience. "what we are witnessing is the birth of a dangerously liberal orthodoxy" synonyms: undergo, experience, go through, see; More enjoy; suffer "Canada witnessed a cultural explosion" (of a time, place, or other context) be the setting in which (an event or development) takes place. "the 1980s witnessed an unprecedented increase in the scope of the electronic media"

be present as someone signs (a document) or gives (their signature) to a document and sign it oneself to confirm this. "the clerk witnessed her signature"synonyms: countersign, sign, endorse, validate; notarize

"the will is correctly witnessed" look at (used to introduce a fact illustrating a preceding statement).

"the nuclear family is a vulnerable institution—witness the rates of marital breakdown"

2.give or serve as evidence of; testify to. "his writings witness to an inner toughness"

Full Definition of WORSHIP. 1. chiefly British : a person of importance —used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors) 2. : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence.

• Magnum
    Magnum

just from a logical stand point of what “Witness” and Worshipper” mean. Strictly objective without bias. Can you really in vision a name change?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at, but yes, I think I can justify it as I think I did in several posts above.

In the context of the rumored name change, both terms ("witness" and "worshipper") are nouns, and both refer to people, as in "a witness of Jehovah" or "a worshipper of Jehovah". In the aforementioned context, the term "witness" seems narrower and more specific, while the term "worshipper" covers a broader range and could include one's being a witness.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

The whole issue of renaming the Organization would have a lot of benefits (as discussed already) however there is always risks associated with it because the GB cannot go back once they've pulled the pin. However, we all know that the Organization will die in its present form, something which they must know too. So, in some ways the GB doesn't have much to loose. And if it goes all pear shaped and large numbers of brothers do drop off; they could write in a few years time that its was a part of a great 'sorting' work or link it to the words of Matthew 24:10-12.

On a side point however, if the name change did go ahead, could you be disfellowshiped by an organization that doesn't exist anymore? Just thinking.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

In the aforementioned context, the term "witness" seems narrower and more specific, while the term "worshipper" covers a broader range and could include one's being a witness. Magnum

You understood the point. The term “Witness” has cognitive thinking versus "Worshipper" in general.

Then there is a difference between cognition and cognitive dissonance, as it is between “Witness” and “Worshipper”wouldn't you agree?

Cognition: is the set of all mental abilities and processes related to knowledge, attention, memory and working memory, judgment and evaluation, reasoning and "computation", problem solving and decision making, comprehension and production of language, etc.

Cognitive dissonance: the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.

However, I do thank you in understanding your perception. Enjoy your day!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit