what kingdom melody is still stuck in you head??

by christopherceo 42 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

For me, the only songs that I consider JW are the ones from the pink songbook. That songbook only had 119 songs. I was kind of pissed off when they changed songbooks around 1984. Some of the songs in the pink songbook were good, some not so good.

One of my favorites was "Fear Them Not". If I remember correctly, it was written by a brother in a Nazi concentration camp during WW2. Thinking of where that brother wrote the song and what he had to endure while singing those words always sent kind of a shiver up and down my spine. Now, I wonder if that story was true. Funny, I caught myself singing that one in the shower the other morning.

I always liked the Kingdom Melodies tapes (only 1 thru 3 - they were from the old songbook). I always thought the orchestra did a pretty good job. I still have the tapes but haven't listened to them in a long time. Heck, I still have the 10 33 1/3 LP's of the music from that songbook. Side 2 of album P-10 had the Bethel family singing a few songs. Unfortunatly, one of them was From House to House.

ElK

PS: Fark, I sent your web page to one of my JW relatives and told him to listen to the Dwelling in Unity song. He was highly offended!!! Thanks for helping me offend him!!!!!

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

But as for me....

Determined I shall be...

To walk eternally...

In my integrity.

That's why I left.

Ravyn

• Ed
    Ed

We' Are Jehovah's Witnesses

Men make Gods of wood and stone...

<shudder> Actually, that one was okay until it got to the chorus.

Ironic that such self-congratulatory songs should appear in a book entitled "Sing Praises to Jehovah".

• Buster
    Buster

I can't believe no one else has said "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize" #119. Twenty years later, that one still pops in my head now and then.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Hi Rub-a-dub and Gamaliel; I too remember the song 'Dedication'. It seems they always played it at the assemblies and conventions after the baptismal talk. The times I remember, it was played by a live orchestra.

Warrigal of the older than dirt dub class

• Farkel
    Farkel

EL,

: PS: Fark, I sent your web page to one of my JW relatives and told him to listen to the Dwelling in Unity song. He was highly offended!!! Thanks for helping me offend him!!!!!

Glad to help out!

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

buster,

: I can't believe no one else has said "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize" #119. Twenty years later, that one still pops in my head now and then.

Yeah, that was a great ballade. I used to love to pay that one: good music and lyrics that evoked loyalty to the Watchtower Printing Corporation, while holding to the notion that Jehovah was somehow guiding the Watchtower Printing Corporation. Neat trick. That along with a very few others, were really emotional and motivational songs for dubs.

The "Dedication" song from the old Green Songbook was another of them. They played that one when I was baptized in 1960 at the ripe old age of 12. Two lines of music, but VERY moving words and a very nice melody, also.

Orwellian is the best way I can explain it: pander to people's deepest emotions and then capture them in your own pet Cult. Only then will those captives realize what they've joined. But then, it is too late to get out of it without severe pain from those folks who "love-bombed" you into their Cult where they are also trapped.

Farkel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Eyes on the prize,forgot about that one.Good tune..Dam you Farkel!..I was happy to hate every tune in that book,then you gotta bring up eyes on the prize..Dam things playing in my head now..A thousand curses on you Farkel,LOL!...OUTLAW

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

The one I actually loved to hear was the one about Lazarus.

"Lazarus lay sleeping.....

in a cold stone grave.

How his sisters mourned him...

None there him could save........"

I guess the music was kind of haunting. It's the only one I'd sing.

The one I hated the most was ...let's watch how we walk and watch how we talk.....YUCK!!!!!!

April

• Introspection
    Introspection

"Move ahead, move ahead to apostasy.." Seriously, it doesn't crosses my mind except when on this board, and then it's pretty much a bastardized version of the lyrics like so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit