Do You Remember When JWs Relished Explaining Their Beliefs?

by minimus 141 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Actually according to scripture, Jesus never uttered "jehovah".

• sir82
    sir82

They've gone from 'solid food' to 'milk'.

Not that it any of it was healthy to begin with.

LOL. They've gone from rancid meat to curdled milk.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

A Believer, so you are not baptized and you've only been studying for around 3 weeks now, right?

• never a jw
    never a jw

25 years ago I saw the last people with a semblance of zeal, even my own brother. He had multiple Bible studies and felt confident about the doctrines of his religions. Now, when I challenge his beliefs he responds saying that he is certain the he will not witness the end in his lifetime (he is 52) and when he explains why he likes his religions, he compares it to the membership in a gym. He pays his dues in exchange for access to the facility. He claims that he gets a network of friends with good morality. That's the practical approach that is becoming more prevalent as the die-hards idealists die out... Sad....actually, good... I don't know

• minimus
    minimus

Sad but reassuring to see how JWs can't see the obvious. It's not just about hell fire or the trinity. Other religions don't believe that doctrine either. You can't claim to be Gods only representative and regularly get things wrong. Only the ignorant will close their eyes to the obvious.

• A Believer
    A Believer

Jesus did say Jehovah's name

29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah,

4 “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.

• Dagney
    Dagney

^^^ Ehrm no. You need to look those verses up in the original language. The Watchtower added "Jehovah" to the NWT. It is not in the original manuscripts.

• A Believer
    A Believer

The other Bibles say LORD. Which is the same thing.

The Hebrew name "Jehovah" is generally translated in the Authorized Version (and the Revised Version has not departed from this rule) by the word LORD printed in small capitals, to distinguish it from the rendering of the Hebrew Adonai and the Greek Kurios , which are also rendered Lord, but printed in the usual type. The Hebrew word is translated "Jehovah" only in Exodus 6:3 ; Psalms 83:18 ; Isaiah 12:2 ; 26:4 , and in the compound names mentioned below.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/jehovah/

But Jesus and Jehovah did say sanctify the name. So for so many other versions to replace it with a generic lord title makes no sense. And they aren't doing what those two instructed.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

As a child growing up there were a few in the congregation that really got into the detail of the belief system. My mother was one of these few. I always enjoyed listening to the conversations she would have with others of like mind. While ultimately my belief system went a different direction, I had a very high respect for those who took the time to try to understand the detail of their belief system.

I have no respect for those who who took no time to understand the detail of what they believed. This status probably describes 99% of current JWs. It is impossible to have a conversation with these people because they have no idea what they believe, and more importantly - why they believe what they say.

• A Believer
    A Believer

NY44M Yeah says you. I know what I preach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit