Officially Disassociated Tonight

by Princess 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Steve and I attended our very last meeting this evening. I wrote a thread a few weeks ago about our elder visit and their decision to announce that we were disassociated. They agreed to wait until we returned from our vacation so I could tell my grandma who still attends via phone link and so she wouldn't have to be alone in her devastation. She really wasn't devastated but she would have had a huge drama to herself if they had announced it and she was home alone with no warning.

Steve wore his usual t-shirt and Levis and I chose an especially short and tight black tee that says "I have nothing to wear" eight times on the front, along with my superlow Levis that show my tattoo and belly ring nicely.

We arrived early and a couple who have always maintained contact came right over and were very chatty. We told them why we were there and they were totally fine with it. Most shunned us but a few said hi and not much more. It has been over six years since we attended and seven since we were regular attenders.

We refused offers of songbooks and bibles and sat through the song and prayer. The school was horribly boring and juvenile. I was trying hard not to crack up through most of it. There is a sister whom we despise who sat right across from us who I swear looks exactly like the lady who played Danny DeVito's mom in Throw Momma From the Train. She turned and glared at me and I had to fight not to laugh out loud. I figured it wouldn't be right to sit there and have them stare at the backs of our heads so I got up and went to the restroom. They stared and I smiled big and made eye contact with a bunch of people.

After an excrutiating ministy school, the elder who visited us got up and made the announcement. "Steve and Rachel Egner have dissacociated themselves and are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses".

We didn't especially like how they put it on us since they are the ones who made the decision but we sure liked the last part "are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses". It just wrapped it all up so neat and tidy. We got up and left right after...with big grins. Then we went for a celebratory drink...lagavulin.

I took pictures!

Me in front of the meeting schedule

Steve as we were leaving

Looks like fun doesn't it?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Awesome story! Only downside is that 2 of the 3 pics arent showing. Did anyone have an audible or visible reaction to the announcement?

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

never mind.. looks like it fixed itself.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Rachel, you are something else. If I weren't already your mother, I would adopt you!!

I just love and respect you so much. Dad says you have (read my email).......better not quote that one. It's a high compliment, but maybe not appropriate here.

See you Saturday. Aloha!!

Edited by - mulan on 10 January 2003 1:37:50

• Princess
    Princess

I didn't hear any comments or hissing. Most of the congo knew us and must have been waiting to hear something during the announcements. We enjoyed the whole show (our show, not theirs). The talks were incredibly boring and pathetic. Steve thought our presence made everyone uncomfortable and probably contributed to their nerves or something. They all seemed really nervous giving their talks.

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks mom!

I forgot to mention we sat in the fourth row, not the back row so we had a nice walk down the aisle.

• Mulan
    Mulan

You have been an intimidating person for many years, kiddo, and Steve is even more so. I think you are right............they were probably nervous you were there.

Two down, two to go, and they will be free of the evil Lynnwood apostates.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow. Now that took guts. I think you're right, you're probably freaked out the whole congregation. Do you feel a sense of closure now? Or just a sense of relief of it being over?

Well either I'm sorry or congratulations, depending on how you're feeling.

Edited by - big tex on 10 January 2003 1:44:53

• Princess
    Princess

Gee Big Tex, can't you tell from our grins? We didn't care what they did or didn't do, we just wanted to hear the announcement ourselves and stir things up a bit. We haven't been dubs for almost seven years so this was just the end of that part of our lives. Not a bit of sadness.

• LB
    LB

I want to adopt you Rachel. Or Steve. Doesn't matter to me. You guys are great and I am proud to call you my friends. After reading this story I wish I had gone to my DAing announcement. What fun. Maybe I could have brought my entire basketball team with me and we could have all high fived each other like we do at games.

It appears to me that they have chased away the best of their people. A man like Steve would have been a fantastic elder. I know that even though I'm at least 50 years older than him I would feel very comfortable approaching him if I were troubled.

Want to move to Maui with us? Jill loves you both as I do.

The kids get to go too. We loved your card with the photo. What beautiful children and isn't it wonderful that their lives are going to be filled with true love and happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit