As a Matter of Conscience, I Am Resigning from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Sail Away 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

your legal jargon and threats will be empty to them.

Nope, elders are instructed to "call the branch" (Bethel) if any sort of legal action is threatened. In most cases, the threat of legal action defers or even indefinitely postpones any "no longer a JW" announcement.

It has worked many many times before.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

The OP letter is well put together and hits hard.

Alternately, a current JW who wants to disengage the religion can write a short letter to local elders stating the following:

Dear ...

This letter is to inform that several things about the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (a subsidiary corporation used by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, and the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses as expressed in each of these organization's legal charters) have come to plague my Bible-trained conscience to a point where I'm very uncomfortable engaging in activities organized by it such as attending meetings at a Kingdom Hall, assembly or convention, or engaging in its public outreach work.

For the foreseeable future I do not wish to be approached by any authority appointed by one of the aforementioned entities carrying out their duties in that capacity. Personal social approach is always welcomed and appreciated. But, again, I do not want to be further burdened by coercion from these organization's appointed authorities acting in that capacity. I've shared my views with the aforementioned organizations. If they want they will share my concerns with you. That is up to them. It is not my intention to resist anything or anyone, except where I'm compelled by moral, ethical and legal standards I was raised and taught to embrace as my own and that are or should be well known to each of you.

I have not stopped following Jesus and have not stopped loving all of you. When I meet any of you in public or private I'll always welcome the opportunity to offer encouragement or otherwise interact as love compels me. My pray is that the several troublesome things I've learned about the aforementioned organizations from the aforementioned organizations are dealt with and changed. I'll watch for these changes, and if they occur I'll then reconsider engaging in their organized activities. Until then, as David responded to Saul when he implored David to "Come back," I am compelled to proceed on my way and leave the many troublesome things I see for God to deal with.--(See 1 Samuel 26:21-25)

Sincerely,

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Bravo! I am feeling more this way every day. Its so embarrassing to have anything to do with these creeps
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    notsurewheretogo
    So basically you are disassociating yourself and will be shunned and it will be announced, your legal jargon and threats will be empty to them.
    I hereby declare myself no longer a member.

notsurewheretogo, of course, the elders are free to do as they wish and to suffer the potential consequences. That is their call. This ultimately has nothing to do with them or what they may think or do. It is about my freedom and my ability to hold my head high. As I stated, I have nothing to lose.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Well done, for for making the break. Welcome to the world of unconditional friendships and real humanity. Sadly you will lose the friendship of brainwashed cult members including family members and those you thought would stick by you. Don't let the bastards grind you down!
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    sir82

your legal jargon and threats will be empty to them.

Nope, elders are instructed to "call the branch" (Bethel) if any sort of legal action is threatened. In most cases, the threat of legal action defers or even indefinitely postpones any "no longer a JW" announcement.

It has worked many many times before.

^^^This

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Well thought out letter, but has anyone ever challenged/tested the Org's practice of announcing that "so-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" via International Human Rights Law. That announcement effectively denies people their human rights to a family life.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

Marvin Shilmer

The OP letter is well put together and hits hard.

Thank you, Marvin Shilmer. Your letter from a current JW conveys the spirit of my intent. I wish to be left in peace and show love to any of my former associates who may wish to greet me.

SailAway

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Well thought out letter, but has anyone ever challenged/tested the Org's practice of announcing that "so-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" via International Human Rights Law. That announcement effectively denies people their human rights to a family life.

The Searcher, thank you. It is my hope that if more of us take this step, such a challenge will be the outcome. There is strength in numbers.
    SailAway
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Nicely done, Sailaway.

Maybe you will no longer be counted in those "20 million associated JWs" that Jackson bragged about at the Royal Commission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit