As a Matter of Conscience, I Am Resigning from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Sail Away 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

After listening to the hearings of the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, I am no longer content to have simply walked away from the organization. As a matter of conscience, I do not want my name linked with the organization in any way. I know this letter has been posted previously, and I thank the author.

I have modified the letter to meet my circumstances and to specifically warn the appointed men that they may be held legally and criminally responsible for their actions. There are two congregations that meet at my former Kingdom Hall, and I have been a member of both. I plan to send a notarized letter to each body of elders. I was baptized in 1976 in the named congregation and refuse to disassociate from the organization. I was not baptized into an organization. I don't see this step as playing by their rules.

I don't want to be contacted by appointed men under any circumstances and would prefer to not have to deal with the shunning, gossip and slander that would likely ensue should an announcement that I am no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses come from the platform. I am already effectively being shunned, as no witness will initiate contact with me, but they are civil in public. I would prefer to leave it that way, as I live in a small community. I have absolutely nothing to lose personally. I no longer want any connection to the organization as a whole. I have no issue with individual members who are held captive to the doctrine, principles and practices of this corporation masquerading as a religion.

SailAway

August 18, 2015

Address

SENT BY US MAIL, REGISTERED, CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

To:

The Body of Elders of the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

C/o [xxx], Congregation Secretary

Address

As a matter of conscience and to exercise of my rights under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,. I, SailAway, hereby resign from The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, et al , the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, et al, and the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses effective immediately, August 18, 2015.

I hereby declare myself no longer a member.

As a non-member, I demand complete freedom from all religious practices, which include but are not limited to discipline and retaliation. Examples of such religious practices may include a formal announcement of my non-member status before the [named] Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, shunning, intentional infliction of emotional distress, harassment, slander, invasion of privacy, etc. Should you engage in any such conduct towards me, I will immediately and fully utilize all legal means to stop those acts. Any and all of the above-named parties may be held jointly and severally responsible.

Please refer to the following:

· Bear v. Reformed Mennonite Church

· Guinn v. Church of Christ of Collinsville

· Hadnot v. Shaw

· McNair v. Worldwide Church of God

Furthermore, I request immediate, complete, and permanent cessation from all contact from church elders, ministerial servants, circuit overseers or any other member appointed to a position of authority in the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. This includes, but is not limited to mail, electronic communications, telephone and in-person visits taking place at my residence (address noted above), workplace, or elsewhere. Please be aware that I will consider any in-person visits by appointed men on private property henceforth to be trespassing, and should that occur, I will utilize all legal means to stop that act, including but not limited to civil and criminal complaints.

Thank you in advance for respecting my right to freedom from religion.

Signed,

SailAway

[insert notary stamp and signature, if you're using one]

I would appreciate any constructive suggestions from this community,

SailAway

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Well done and salutations! Enjoy your true new found freedom sir.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    I like it. This is what more people need to do. Cover your a**. If the majority of people would do this, the GB might get a little nervous that there is more "persecution" coming their way (legally).
  • never a jw
    never a jw
    Are you planning to write in the letter that child abuse in the JW's congregations around the world and the RC hearings have prompted you to make this decision? It may start a slow process of waking up for the reader.
  • jw07
    jw07

Congratulations Sail Away! That level of freedom must feel like winning the lottery every day for a year

• Splash
    Splash
    Please keep us posted as to the results.
  • sir82
    sir82
    Nice. It would be even scarier if you got a legal firm to write it on their letterhead.
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    never a jw
    Are you planning to write in the letter that child abuse in the JW's congregations around the world and the RC hearings have prompted you to make this decision? It may start a slow process of waking up for the reader.

Thanks for the support all!

never a jw, I have given a lot of thought to that question. My local elders know that I initially walked away due to my decision to not shun my son, so they may think I am referring to shunning. If I do make a reference to the Royal Commission and child sexual abuse, I would want it to be clear and succinct. I do not want the letter to give any fuel to the fire.

SailAway, a former JW "Sister"
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    sir82
    Nice. It would be even scarier if you got a legal firm to write it on their letterhead.

That is a possibility!

SailAway
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    I hereby declare myself no longer a member.

So basically you are disassociating yourself and will be shunned and it will be announced, your legal jargon and threats will be empty to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit