How do I know the Bible is True?

by SwedishChef 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

SC

What could this man have done some 2,000 years ago that would leave such an unsurpassed impact on the world?

What could he have done? Well he could have kept his promises....that would have helped. he could have "came again" Why is he waiting so long......seriously?

As was mentioned....Mohammed also had quite the impact with over a billion adherants.This wasn't a good argument.

I would like to encourage you to do what you have recommended to others. Check it out. Re-search the claims others have made here about Jesus. See what the sceptics have to say and consider their points.....if they are wrong.....then they are wrong. Read an entire book on the subject and don't go off of little thing you've heard or know. Really look into it SC.

I respect your opinions as it is the same way I believed a SHORT time ago. I too loved the Lord and studied hard. When I came to this site....I argued for Christ quite a while. In time I began to hear the same scepticism about the bible and Jesus. I listened to the arguments......then finally got my first book to read clear through....."The Jesus Mysteries". The things that were said blew me away so I checked out the claims elsewhere.......they said the same thing. I am still reading about this and the more I read.....guess which way I lean? ( and I don't mean to the left...LOL )

Anyways SC, I think you speak well, and do your best at what you say and some of the things you say I don't believe are all wrong. Those that differ with you believe as strong as do you that they are correct and to think God would judge them unworthy for not being "Believers" isn't fair. How can we believe if the odds to us point differently?

Anyways....don't give up discussing things because you feel it does no good. We all benifit, as these discussions bring out in us, and make us consider deep inside, what and why we believe what we do.

Take care,

Gumby

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Gumby,

Thank you for your response. Even though I completely disagree with you belief wise, I can have respect for you because you have done the same toward me (Unlike some of the others who post here.)

"What could he have done? Well he could have kept his promises....that would have helped. he could have "came again" Why is he waiting so long......seriously?"

From what I have read, Jesus has kept all His promises. The second coming with be fulfilled in its due time. Did God not deal with Israel for thousands of years? Why should it be different for the church age? The church is God's new kingdom. The Bible says "the Lord is not slack concerning his promise"(2 Peter 3:9). What He is waiting for is the last of His elect to become saved. For the "fullness of the Gentiles to come in." (Rn 11:25, Lk 21:24) As can be seen from the world today, this is not too far off. We are in the Laodicean age of the church, which is the last one, and we are in the midst of the great falling away of the church. If you've studied the Bible as hard as you say you did you'd know what I'm talking about by this.

I have never said there is absolute proof of the Bible being right. But I can say that the Bible has never been proven wrong, archeological and historical studies have only affirmed its accuracy, and there is a wealth of unsurpassed depth within these pages.

In whatever you research, on any topic, there will always be evidence which says it is true, and there will always be evidence that says it is not true. These two cannot merge. Either the first set of evidence is erroneous, and the second set is true, or vice versa. It is my stance that the Bible is true, and therefore I will accept all evidence that points toward this. It is your stance to do the contrary.

However, the external factors involved is not the basis for a Christian's belief, it is what happens inwardly. Through all my folly, I have always felt drawn to the God of the Bible. Human nature itself is repulsed at the doctrines within these pages, and yet I have found a peace that is beyond myself - for the Author is beyond myself.

Gumby, a true saved Christian will never fall away from salvation. I don't know you, but I can say upon the authority the Bible that you were never saved, and therefore never a true Christian. You were obviously thinking about it, and maybe thought you were. But the seed was snatched out of your heart before it could take effect. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world. And faith is a shield according to Ephesians 6:16. This shield is used to "quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." When out of answers, there is always faith. That's why Paul says "I have fought the good fight...I have kept the faith." Without this shield, without leaning on the everlasting arms of the Savior and saying "Lord, I trust you above all", anyone will fall. And if it were up to my own will I would fall, but it is God who preserves me.

You weren't saved, and therefore when you came under the unrelenting assaults of the atheists, the "fiery darts of the wicked", you fell further into disbelief. Tell me Gumby, are you happier now that you have no foundation? Have you found peace that passes all understanding? What has replaced Jesus Christ in your life?

Sincerely,

Michael

Edited by - SwedishChef on 1 January 2003 1:49:39

• donkey
    donkey

The great cop out:

I have never said there is absolute proof of the Bible being right. But I can say that the Bible has never been proven wrong, archeological and historical studies have only affirmed its accuracy, and there is a wealth of unsurpassed depth within these pages

You have provided ZERO in the way of the proof you said you would, SC. Is that to be taken as a lie. We know what the good book says about liars don't we? (John 8:44). It is OK to say you don't know the answers. It is OK to admit you are a human on a growth curve like the rest of us. Please be like me and admit there are NO absolutes - if there were you could readily offer evidence as proof. Are you willing to admit you MIGHT be wrong if you cannot provide proof? I am willing to admit I am wrong if I cannot support my claims.

The problem with your parochialist vantage point is that "the Bible is never wrong - only our intperetation". But you have no logical basis for the foundation of the argument. Can you not even concede that there is a distinct possibility that the Bible is wrong? All things are possible to me - including that the Bible might be correct - we just need to provide evidence to support our claims.

Jack

Edited by - donkey on 1 January 2003 2:4:0

• rem
    rem

SwedishChef,

I'm not playing word games with you at all. If anyone is playing games here it is you. You are the one who started this thread and made testable claims. When your claims were shown to be false, you cry foul and say that we are twisting your words.

Basically, what it has come down to after all of your 'evidence' has been trashed is that you believe the bible because you have faith. Fine! Why didn't you just say that in the beginning? I have nothing against that. The only thing you must realize is that faith can never differentiate between true beliefs and false beliefs. Mormons have just as much faith as you that they are right and just as few facts to back them up.

Stop posting threads with ridiculous false claims and you will not be made a fool of. Then you will earn the respect of other posters on this board.

rem

p.s.

But I can say that the Bible has never been proven wrong, archeological and historical studies have only affirmed its accuracy
    This is another testable claim that is demonstrably false. Think before you post! You are one step away from troll status.

Edited by - rem on 1 January 2003 2:5:59

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Donkey,

When did I ever promise to deliver absolute proof?

Rem,
    you said:
    "Stop posting threads with ridiculous false claims and you will not be made a fool of. Then you will earn the respect of other posters on this board."
    I believe the title of this thread is "How do I know the Bible is True", and does therefore reflect why I believe the Bible. Certainly, believing the Bible is faith issue, the book says so itself!
    I am not really out to earn the respect of everyone. If I do so while being a witness of the Gospel, then great! But it is not my goal to compromise my beliefs in order to please a bunch of people I don't know, nor ever will meet. (and I have been called worse than "troll")

• donkey
    donkey

Thanks for your honest admission, SC.

Go well.

Jack

• rem
    rem

SC,

Your thread would have been more accurate if it was titled "Why I believe the Bible is true". Then your post only had to say "Faith". There is no reason for you to post claims which can be proven false - claims that you later refuse to defend.

Have a happy new year,

rem

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped
    The gospel writers invented them to make the scripture sound like a prophecy.

You know, those Gospel Writers must have spent an awful loooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg time working on writing the Gospels in order to have Jesus fulfill over 300 prophecies from the Old Testament.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 1 January 2003 4:7:25

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

swedishchef...Since you brought up Jonah and the fish earlier lets look again. How did Vishnu (hindu god 3000 b.c.)get swallowed by a great fish and transported safely to another shore? Did Yahweh do it? Or how about Hercules (greek god/son of god)when he was swallowed by the great fish and was in it 3 days before returning to Joppa? Did Jehovah do that too? Bible stories are localized adaptations of much more ancient ones. Heros did certain things, gods did certain things, saviors did certain things. Religious concepts were expressed through story telling, and recurring motifs gave these stories a sense of pious familiarity.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Thanks rem for the hebrew word for sphere....The metaphor is lost when literalism clouds the brain doesn't it. It should have occurred to us that the Catholic church would have accepted the roundness of the earth had they understood Isaiah to have meant sphere.As obsessd as they were about bibical cosmology. This is a modern interpretation cooked to salvage the Bible from the world of myth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit