How do I know the Bible is True?

by SwedishChef 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• donkey
    donkey

Rem,

I am from Dumb-ASS-Kiss too.

Alan,

John 3:16 shows God loves you too!!

And 2 Tim 3 states the Bible is inspired of God. That is proof that it is inspired. What can't you understand? Has Satan got your mind?

Jack

Edited by - donkey on 1 January 2003 17:38:23

• AlanF
    AlanF

I understand this mindset all too well, Jack. All too well.

AlanF

• gumby
    gumby

When I challenged the "salvation" you had back then, you gave me a list of all the works you did. This is further evidence that your heart was in the wrong place

I won't say to you what I would like to say right now for fear of being reprimanded by Simon....and he would have good reason. I will say that I never thought I would despise mainstream christianity's attitude as much as the dubs....but listening to your arrogant bullshit has changed me. You think I don't know about "works and faith". I told you already I swallowed this bullshit for many years didn't I ? My heart was in the wrong place eh? You and your skydaddy can kiss where the sun don't shine.

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Good Post SC,

I like what you said about the message of the Bible never changing. Thats because man is still the same. DEAD. From Genesis to Revelation, the message is clear. All flesh is grass. None is righteous, no not one. King David said it right: "Behold, i was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me".

Lets be honest folks, we dont deserve anything from God, not even the least of his mercies. Should God have decided not to spare a single person, and not send his son, what is that to us? The sooner we realize that God is God and its his ballgame, and not up to us, we'd all be better off. But then again, spiritually dead people dont need a God. Their God is their belly. They live 24/7 in the flesh.

As far as the word CIRCLE in the Scripture at Isa.40:22, the hebrew word translated into english is ARCH, VAULT, COMPASS.

ARCH: A CURVED construction. VAULT: (n) An ARCHED construction in masonry forming a roof or supporting the true roof. (v) To cover with a vault or ARCHED roof.....Compass:(verb)To move around, to surround, (noun)The instument,compass used for determining direction on earths surface, which points to a magnetic north....

2 out of 3 enlish words used to describe this hebrew word used in Isa. denote a CURVE. While a flat circle is round, it is not ARCHED.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Columbus(?) or one of the great explorers, argued that the world was indeed round and not flat, and that he derived this belief from the bible. Maybe someone else could elaborate on this.

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Gumby,

I am sorry if I have offended you. I assure you that was not my intent.
    I am not aware of the doctrines you held, and I am not aware if these doctrines were Biblically sound ones. All you said was you "loved the Lord" and "studied your Bible." JWs spend their entire lives "studying" the Bible and yet completely miss the mark. The same is true of Catholics and any other cult which claims to hold to the Word of God.

In any case, I was simply making an observation about you. Something obviously must have not been right - you were never saved. As I have said before, nothing I say is meant to be arrogant or conceded. I said that for a reason: because I have been accused of it by so many other people on this board.

When you used to assume the title "Christian", were you not ever called arrogant? Did you not ever bear reproach? Did you ever think that you, one day, would be one of those who is accusing?

Those who reject God grow cold to Him and His Word. It is bitter to them. God gives them up to a reprobated mind. (Romans 1:28) Judging by the response you gave to me, I fear that this may have already happened.

But the wonderful message of the Bible is that as long as there is life, there is hope. All who come to the Lord Jesus Christ will not be denied the waters of life. The only sin that cannot be forgiven is the sin of rejecting the Son of God.

Bible doctrine, by its very nature, is offensive to our nature. And if that is what you have a problem with, than there is nothing I can do.

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Alan F,

Concerning the dream interpretation in Daniel 4, guess what, that was a dream!

The Hebrew word for "sphere" that you say Isaiah should have used, is also used in this instance:

Isaiah 29:3 "And I will camp against thee round about, and will lay siege against thee with a mount, and I will raise forts against thee."

Now, "dure" is interpreted "round about." Does this mean that the camp would be in the shape of a sphere?

For more info, I suggest you go this site:
    http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_03_03_01.html

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_01_01_01.html

• rem
    rem

Sangdigger,

Even if you do twist the meaning of 'chug' to mean 'vault' or 'arch', it is quite a leap to say that there is still any resemblance to a sphere. If anything it would be a flat bottom with an arched top. Interestingly this is how the ancient Hebrews imagined the heavens - as a vault over a flat earth (you can't have a vault over a spherical earth). So, really, your interpretation does more to hurt the argument that the bible teaches the earth is a sphere than help.

rem

• rem
    rem

SC,

Now, "dure" is interpreted "round about." Does this mean that the camp would be in the shape of a sphere?

The word 'dure' can mean both 'circle' or 'sphere' (or 'ball'). In this instance it clearly means circle. There is no corresponding connotation of 'sphere' for the word 'chug' which is used in Isaiah 40:22. This has already been addressed a couple pages ago on this thread.

rem

p.s. Here is the conclusion from the site you posted (which has some ridiculous arguments, btw):

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_03_03_01.html

It must be admitted outright that SOME of the items listed here COULD be interpreted as giving a false cosmology - but it is also possible to interpret them other ways. The Bible lacks specifics in this regard (i.e., precise distances and descriptions - as were often offered up by the pagans), and so leaves the answer, "Does the Bible teach bad cosmology?", quite ambiguous in a few places. But for the majority of the cites we have seen, there is no such ambiguity, merely misinterpretation by skeptics and/or poetry. We are justified in our assertion that there is no proof that the Bible teaches a false cosmology.

Not a very strong conclusion in favor of the Bible. Certainly there isn't any proof that the Bible teaches correct cosmology, and that's exactly what Swedish Chef claimed in his original post!

Edited by - rem on 1 January 2003 21:42:5

• Satanus
    Satanus

The chef oughta stick with cooking.

SS

• No_one_shall_know_my_name
    No_one_shall_know_my_name

I don't know if the bible is true either.Because how come Adam and Eve were the first people but they sayed the first species of humans were monkeys and things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit