How do I know the Bible is True?

by SwedishChef 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rem
    rem

MYOHNSEPH,

None of you folks really believe your going to convince any of the other folks here of anything they don't already believe, do you?

That would be nice if we could, but that's not normally the aim or reason for the discussion. Many people benefit just by reading (and not necessarily participating in) the discussions and making up their own minds from looking at the arguments of both sides. If a person has an open mind, then the side with the stronger arguments and better evidence should win. I know that is how I benefitted from these debates as a lurker in the past.

rem

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

"Many people benefit just by reading (and not necessarily participating in) the discussions and making up their own minds from looking at the arguments of both sides."

Good point, rem!

Carry on!

• donkey
    donkey

For years the WT has pointed to Josephus, Pliny, Tertullian and others to prove that their were independent witnesses to Biblical events in Jesus day. When you say that "Josephus, an independent historian (a secular historian) wrote about Jesus. This proves that Jesus was a real person" it all sounds so cozy.

Problem is when you look at what Josephus wrote - you start saying "where is the evidence". Further, when you read the words he wrote - you have no correlation between the magnificence of Jesus as recorded in the Bible, but instead are shown only a glimpse into the slightest possibility that someone name Jesus existed. You are not provided with one shred of evidence to corroborate the miracles Jesus performed, the influence he held over the people, the unexplainable events from the perspective of the Roman guards, the death and resurrection of Jesus, the darkness and the ripping of the curtain in the temple. There is absolutely zero independent corroboration of a resurrection of someone named Jesus.

We know that Rome was the world power in Jesus day. We know that surrounding nations were also influential such as the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Jews themselves. Why weren't they moved to write about him? If he was as powerful as Christians claim surely there would be OVERWHELMING evidence to that effect! But what is there instead? Sadly there is no evidence. Sadly, we know that the first 3 centuries were filled with less than honorable scribes, we know that during the middle ages people were burned and tortured by the church. Do we trust these as credible custodians of the word of God to hand it down till our day?

In virtually none of the MAJOR events such as the freeing of the Jews from Israel or the life, times and resurrection of Jesus is there one shred of credible independent evidence to be found.

People scoff (I am one of them) at the claims that aliens came down to the earth in 1973 and visited Rael (Claude Vorilhon) to inform him of their teachings. Why? Because there is no evidence. It is absurd. So why aren't the same standards of evidence required of Christian claims? Because of long established mythologic traditions. If something is done a certain way or something is believed as fact for long enough then it becomes accepted. Gradualization will do that. As people investing all your dreams, money, time and effort into something don't you at least owe it to yourselves to have some evidence to guide you in your choices?

Jack

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Swedish Chef-

I'm looking forward to your response to Stan Conroy's post.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

longhauler

Correction PD: The Witnesses will help you develop faith in the WatchTower, and when applicable, the Bible.
    i think that depends on whether you are baptised or not. if i had any suspicion that it would turn out that way before getting baptised, i would never have taken the plunge. so in effect your conned before you get baptised, and then afterwards when you realise whats going on its too late.
  • SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Stan Corey,
    Concerning Genesis 30:37-39, it is obvious in this passage that there is some spiritual significance. Often God works with pictures in the Old Testament to reveal a truth. But if you are going to pick on this verse, why not pick on Moses parting the Red Sea? or Jonah getting swallowed by a whale (or some other "great fish) and laying in its belly for three days? Or Moses striking a rock and water gushing out? These are all pictures, they all happened for a specific purpose.
    To the biblical God, a bat is just an another unclean bird. But I seem to remember learning that a bat is a mammal when I was 5 years old!!
    I'm sure this arguement will carry a lot of weight when you stand before the Lord some day. "Well, Lord, I would have believed, but you classified birds and bats together." As some may realize, animal classifications weren't the same 3,500 years ago.
    Rem,
    If you choose not to see the strong similarities between what is written in Psalm 22 and Jesus' execution, there's nothing I can do about it. There is so much in that chapter I could go over, but I doubt it will make any difference at all. You just can't admit it.
    You said concerning verse 16, "This sounds like a man being hunted down by a pack of dogs and being bitten by them."
    Just in case you didn't know, Rem. Crucifixion ivolved nailing one's hands and feet to a cross. Why did David specifically mention his hands and feet?
    Here is another verse which mentions piercing.
    Zechariah 12:10 "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."
    Hundreds of years before His birth, the Bible had already predicted (among other things) that Jesus would be pierced. Also read Isiaha 53.
    And if you want to get in a debate over the preservation of the Old Testament, perhaps our next discussion will be over the dead sea scrolls.

• donkey
    donkey

SC,

I am still waiting for the promised evidence. You offered up Josephus. Care to elaborate on the evidence...let's be specific and detailed. Please do not quote scripture - because that proves nothing to anyone, unless the said scripture can be corroborated by clear outside evidence.

You asked me specific things I answered. I am willing to answer specific points but if we are to settle this once and for all then surely you need to provide evidence of your claims. Your claims are on trial for all to see. Without evidence what do you think the verdict will be?

Jack

• rem
    rem

SwedishChef,

If you choose not to see the strong similarities between what is written in Psalm 22 and Jesus' execution, there's nothing I can do about it.

I never said I didn't see similarities. There are clear similarities: The gospel writers invented them to make the scripture sound like a prophecy. Unfortunately, the scripture never claims to be a prophecy, nor does it ever refer to the messiah. It's a wonder you don't also put faith in the quatrains of Nostradomus or the Bible Code if you believe these to be prophecies.

Just in case you didn't know, Rem. Crucifixion ivolved nailing one's hands and feet to a cross. Why did David specifically mention his hands and feet?

Who knows? Maybe because dogs bite hands and feet? How doe we even know that 'feet' are not being used in the euphamistic sense (referring to the genitals) like in other scriptures? The truth is that the passage bears absolutely no resemblance to a crucifixion. The only way the imagery of the crucifixion is imagined is when it is forced into the interpretation by reverse engineering a 'prophecy'.

Here is some good information about this scripture:

http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1996/1/1unpro96.html

Absurdity in the claim that the reference to pierced hands and feet in this psalm was a prophecy about Jesus becomes even more evident when the obscurity of the statement is considered. A footnote in many reference Bibles will point out that use of the word *pierce* in Psalm 22:16 follows the Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate versions but that the original word is pointed in the Hebrew Masoretic text to read *lion*, and despite the loss of an important prophecy-fulfillment text some English translations recognize the uncertainty of the text. The REB and NEB, for example, render the statement like this: "Hounds are all about me; a band of ruffians rings me round, and they have bound me hand and foot." The GNB says, "A gang of evil men is around me; like a pack of dogs they close in on me; they tear at my hands and feet." This translation has a footnote to point out that the last statement in the Hebrew reads, "Like a lion, they tear at my hands and feet." Some reference Bibles also have footnotes to indicate that the latter statement may mean, "They tie my hands and feet," as the REB and NEB actually translate it.

So, really, there is no clear allusion to the crucifixion here.

Here is another verse which mentions piercing.
    Zechariah 12:10 "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."

I like that! Any scripture that has the word 'pierced' in it all of a sudden turns into a prophecy about the coming messiah. First off, there is no indication within the scripture that this is a messianic prophecy. It is quite clear from the context of this scripture that it is talking about a contemporary event. Observe the verses leading up to part you quoted:

This is the word of the LORD concerning Israel. The LORD , who stretches out the heavens, who lays the foundation of the earth, and who forms the spirit of man within him, declares: 2 "I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. Judah will be besieged as well as Jerusalem. 3 On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves. 4 On that day I will strike every horse with panic and its rider with madness," declares the LORD . "I will keep a watchful eye over the house of Judah, but I will blind all the horses of the nations. 5 Then the leaders of Judah will say in their hearts, 'The people of Jerusalem are strong, because the LORD Almighty is their God.'
    6 "On that day I will make the leaders of Judah like a firepot in a woodpile, like a flaming torch among sheaves. They will consume right and left all the surrounding peoples, but Jerusalem will remain intact in her place. 7 "The LORD will save the dwellings of Judah first, so that the honor of the house of David and of Jerusalem's inhabitants may not be greater than that of Judah. 8 On that day the LORD will shield those who live in Jerusalem, so that the feeblest among them will be like David, and the house of David will be like God, like the Angel of the LORD going before them. 9 On that day I will set out to destroy all the nations that attack Jerusalem.

If this chapter is to be taken as prophecy, then how does this apply. The Roman Empire certainly wasn't destroyed at the time of the crucifixion. If these parts of the chapter are not to be taken literally or as messianic prophecy, why should the two verses that immediately follow? Not once is there any declaration within the chapter that this scripture has anything to do with the messiah or the future time of the messiah. Could you kindly point out where that made clear through the scriptures? You cannot, because this messianic prophecy is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Instead of copying and pasting your favorite bible 'scholars', perhaps you should spend more time reading context.

rem

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Swedish Chef-

It's so nice how you walk around subjects. You claimed that the Bible is scientifically sound, but when you are shown that it is not you come up with the responses that don't support your originally assertion.

Often God works with pictures in the Old Testament to reveal a truth.

Is this supposed to help your case? So are you saying that God is allowed to use inaccurate science to prove a point? If this is the case, I mean if we non-bible believers aren't allowed to use these "pictures" to refute your claims of it's scientific accuracy then why even have the conversation? Ex: "To the biblical God, a bat is just an another unclean bird." You have to admit that this is scientifically inaccurate is it not? Regardless of their classification system at that time, it is scientifically inaccurate for our time. If the Bible was meant to be a guide for our time then it should be scientifically accurate no matter what time period we live in. But if you say that the Bible was meant for the people in those days then we shouldn't have to follow it now.

I'm sure this arguement will carry a lot of weight when you stand before the Lord some day. "Well, Lord, I would have believed, but you classified birds and bats together."

If "God" is just, then all of our arguments should carry weight. Afterall, it isn't our fault he got the classification wrong.

If you choose not to see the strong similarities between what is written in Psalm 22 and Jesus' execution, there's nothing I can do about it.

Well if you can't counter our arguments, why start the conversation?

There is so much in that chapter I could go over, but I doubt it will make any difference at all.

So why bring it up?

And if you want to get in a debate over the preservation of the Old Testament, perhaps our next discussion will be over the dead sea scrolls.
    Discussion? Yeah, right. You will just say that we just don't get it and there's nothing you can do about it or it won't make a differenece.
  • SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Rem,

Please, I was pointing out in that passage in Zechariah that Jehovah says He was pierced. I never said it was a prophecy of the Messiah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit