What Are Some Of The STUPIDEST Comments Made?

by minimus 80 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

After 9-11: "Well, at least these people now have a hope of a ressurection".

• arachnia
    arachnia

I pioneered my first year out of high school, working part-time to pay my bills. I still lived at home, but my parents held me responsible for my car payment, insurance, gas, clothes, entertainment, basically anything outside of food and shelter. They were basically inactive, attending only a few meetings here and there and were not overly supportive of my pioneering, but didn't actively oppose it either. I ended up having a pre-cancerous growth removed in 1989, fortunately, I was still on my parent's medical insurance until I turned 19 in September. However, at that point I had to seriously evaluate the wisdom of continuing without insurance, so I chose to reduce my pioneering to regular auxillary and work full time in order to get health insurance in case the growth ended up getting worse (fortunately it didn't, but other problems ensued.). Of course, because I was "stepping down" the elders felt they should meet with me, and so I had to meet with our PO (who also happened to be the father of my "big sister" study conductor, so he was quite familiar with my family situation.) and another elder.

The meeting basically consisted of them implying that I must have a guilty conscience because I had started to date a brother two-three months beforehand and perhaps there was something I wanted to confess? I was insulted. In fact, I was considering breaking up with the brother at that time (in hindsight, it would have been better if I had, because we ended up divorcing...but that's another story). I explained the real issue, that I needed health insurance, and why, and the PO told me:

"Lots of pioneers and other brothers and sisters go without health insurance. They have the faith that Jehovah will take care of them through the congregation. What makes you think you won't be cared for?"

Mind you, *he* and his wife had insurance, as did his daughter, who was a pioneer, but lived with her parents and they provided much financially for her. I'll bet he was glad they had that insurance when his wife came down ill many years later, I believe with MS, if I recall correctly.

Hypocrites.

• seawolf
    seawolf

arachnia,

That sounds about right. They moan and groan at people for doing/having exactly what they are doing/have. They did that to me a lot in terms of wanting things or going places. They'd tell me not to want to visit places, all the while they're jet-setting all over the place. LOL

My contribution to the stupidest comments made is:

At the District Convention in 1999, a young man was up on stage describing how he decided to pioneer and not persue college. He told the audience that the elder studying with him said (in terms of going to college vs. pioneering): do you want to live or do you want to DIE? I couldn't believe what I just heard. If there was a cute girl next to me I would have asked her to pinch me to make sure I was awake and not dreaming this. hahaha

• minimus
    minimus

Arachnia, I find it interesting to hear how the elders love to imply that a person must be sinning. If you miss meetings or lower your field service, you must be hiding something. Other factors are rarely considered. It's always about sin, punishment and retribution.....I also love it when I hear people say that a certain course should be copied because we don't need different luxuries. For example, why not stop watching TV altogether,since it's a huge waste of time? You could pioneer....Of course, the one making the suggestion has 5 TV's in their house. Who needs insurance when the end is "right around the corner"? Pioneer and Jehovah will always care for your needs. Of course, Jehovah doesn't give you gas money or make the car payments.....Better yet is how people feel guilty and then feel the need to throw caution to the wind and jump on the bandwagon.

• GeddyLee
    GeddyLee

Circa 1993- Actual conversation that took place between a Ministerial servant and myself... Me- "Im telling you that I am certain the watchtower is going to change their doctrine about the 1914 generation thing". Ministerial servant -" They will never change this understanding, the brothers are not wrong, this is Gods understanding of this date not ours............ fast forward to Circa 1995- Said to same Ministerial servant-" You see I told you they would change this, they had to, they painted themselves into a corner.....Ministerial servant-" OOOOhhhh please they didnt change anything. THIS WAS ONLY A CYRSTALIZATION OF TRUTH" as he looks at me like Ive completely lost my mind! There has to be some humour in this, I just cant find it yet. Geddy

Edited by - geddylee on 1 January 2003 13:17:30

Edited by - geddylee on 1 January 2003 14:19:56

• troucul
    troucul

Geddy, is it possible to puke from laughing too much?...cuz I just did from your MS's comments...

nice id by the way...aren't Neil and the boys on tour?

• GeddyLee
    GeddyLee

Hi Trocul, Ya hearing things like that come out of peoples mouths is so scary, its acutally funny. The real sad part is that the MS was my dad. He s the same one that thought I had started taking drugs and was hallucinating, when I showed him an illustration in one of the crothtowers with a demonic picture subliminally placed there that was so obivious. I love him, but its true when they say that "there are none so blind, then those who refuse to see" As for Rush, they finished their tour last month with a couple of dates in Brazil. I did catch them quite a few times this time around, NYC, Houton, San Antonio, and Toronto. They put on arguably the best show of their careers this tour. Did you get a chance to go?

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Hey Geddy, I can see the humour in it. I can just picture the skewed hand gesture as he illustrates the crystallization of truth!!

Stan

• GeddyLee
    GeddyLee

Hey Stan, Do you remember that dolt, Tom Jarbeau? He gave that forty minute prayer once, and thanked God for the white picket fences, and the wine, food, and groceries?????!!!? He also prayed for our furnaces so they wouldnt malfunction, so our brains wouldnt freeze?????!!! How about smokin jim frazier, he had that fascination with sex. He could change any topic while giving his talks into something sex related. I remember him once trying to tie in the plagues that were poured out on Egypt to the evils of oral sex. Yup a three ringed circus it was that old Central hall. Geddy

• prologos
    prologos

in at least two talks that were meant to encourage hospitality this speaker* talked about Jesus and others washing the feet of invited guests, taking off the sandals and then describing in detail in his native language the JUICY, dusty condition of the toes, on and on. --

That should have been enough to put off inviting him, or anybody. but despite this negative olfatory effect, he was wrong,

that wet and brewing or yeasty fermentation is not found with dusty but aerated sandals. more likely in running shoes, galoshes.

more than this kind of aversion is developped through uninformed wt talk, writing.

* served in bethels in both latitude hemispheres.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit