Silent Lambs/Bill Bowen..Who rejoices now?

by wasasister 87 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wasasister
    wasasister

Having read the exchanges between Rev, Bill Bowen, and others involved in the Silent Lambs website, I honestly feel sickened.

I remember when I first started to hear rumblings that "something big" was going down regarding the Society's handling of child abuse. I was overjoyed because I had first-hand knowledge of several atrocities in this regard and was hoping against all odds that a major upset would force them to change their policies.

As time progressed, more and more became known about people moving within the system to expose the problems. With many of you, I held my breath waiting for the magic Dateline expose.

After several long delays, we cheered when the episode finally aired, even though many thought it was not as strong as it might have been.

All during the time between when we first had hints of what was to come and the viewing of Dateline (and later European and Australian programs), we kept hearing two prominent names - Bill Bowen, and Barbara Anderson. Bill, of course, took the more public role and did a great job of keeping the issue in front of the media. Barbara, working mainly behind the scenes, had the damning evidence.

Most of us viewed this important event as the opening salvo which would lead to major changes in how the organization handled, or mishandled, cases of child abuse in the congregations. Score one for the good guys! Let's see them squirm now!

Flash ahead...who's laughing now? Those who have taken the lead in opposing the WTS are publicly criticizing each other; disputes breaking out over a website devoted to supporting victims; the figure head of the Silentlambs organization lashing out against those who question him; and more.

The entire situation makes me ill. This is exactly what a Witness would have predicted at the beginning, using scripture to substantiate their reasoning.

"See what happens when people oppose Jehovah's Organization? They cannot have unity! If this cause was from Jehovah, it would not fail. See?? They fight amongst themselves! They seek prominence with men, not aid for victims."

And on and on....

From March to December, what a change.

Wasasister - ever hopeful, yet feeling grim

Edited to try to get the accent in "expose" to insert

Edited by - wasasister on 20 December 2002 13:58:26

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Certainly if Bill Bowen and SOME of the silent lambs supporters would STOP spreading thier dirty laundery all over the internet- and accusations of wrong by other ex jws- then NO ONE would be having this experience......

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

No one or organization can be bigger then the cause they support. Even if Silent Lambs finds its future to lead to a moment of closure and endings, the cause should carry on in the hearts of those who see the value in making sure the children of all repressive religions are safe from the harmful abuse that resides in the dark silent shadows cast from their supposed divine enlightenment.

Edited by - whyhideit on 20 December 2002 14:48:44

• wasasister
    wasasister

whyhideit:

Well said. I like how you write.

I hope the cause can continue on. It seems to me in the beginning there may have been some confusion about what the actual goal was.

Silentlambs original cause was two-pronged: support existing victims/survivors, and prevent future victims. At times, these goals overlapped (eg: locking up an abuser might serve both to support a survivor and prevent a future victim), yet in some cases there were completely different agendas.

Was Silentlambs a support facility putting victims in touch with each other as well as professional avenues for legal and psychological help?

or...

Was it aimed at forcing the Society to change its abuse policies, such as the "two-witness rule", in order to prevent further cases? Was the ultimate goal to bring the Society to its knees?

or....both?

As it developed, the fighting of this two front war became a big job and it has been suggested the responsibilities should have been divided at the point where Silentlambs became unwieldy.

I just hope it is not too late to patch things together with enough experienced people to carry on the original noble purposes.

Wasa

• Smiles
    Smiles

The VAST MAJORITY of JWs have NO IDEA what is currently going on with Bill Bowen and the others. And many JWs probably do not care. They have likely disregarded all of it as apostate propaganda anyway.

If the JWs did know what was going on right now with Bill Bowen and the others, shouldn't all those JWs by immediately Reproved or DFd for dabbling with information from those who 'oppose God's earthly organization'?

LOL

Edited by - Smiles on 20 December 2002 14:56:24

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I guess if you actually get out of this discussion board (who in reality probably has a few hundred people on it - maybe) and look around wasasister you might just think a tad bit differently.

Quite frankly, the media has gotten rolling. The media, may it be the New York Times article and spin off articles, the New York Post articles, the AP articles, the TV shows etc. all played really well. There is more to come too. Millions of people have now been vaccinated and will never be sucked into this killer cult - never becuase they saw for the first time what you exJWs know. And please to get this type of media attention for a very puny little group like this is awesome. Now the lawsuits are coming forward with lawyers willing to take them on who have large firms to back them up. One will actually have a decision shortly and if we manage a win - look out!!!! That is the next step which in turn will bring in more press etc...

If you can't see that accomplishment then you are being sucked into this micro mess.

As for the most recent micro mess - Bill entered into a voluntary partnership to get a new web site done. I guess others were trying to help out too. It didn't work out. Rev, seems like a nice guy but even he admitted, to my horrior yesterday that he was in financial ruin. You can't have a webmaster in financial ruin running the web site. You have to disclose it to those who need to know. Was it ever disclosed? Not that I was aware of or I would have told Bill to steer clear.

And yeah after a lot of patience the pot has boiled over and if Rev thinks the pot boiled over too much for him then he has every right as a free citizen to take Bill out both verbally and legally ..... so does Bill, by the way, too.

but ....

while you guys are discussing another Bowen Email on this board and trying to tear Bill down to size (rightly or wrongly - I really don't care), the main action (legal with a little more media) goes forth to the horrior of the WTS brass. If the WTS is looking at this tiny little board and thinks for one second they are free and clear .... too late ... the lawyers are coming and legal process can't be stopped by little infighting on tiny boards like this..

Barb and Joe, Bill, Vicki, the Berry ladies, Kim, Anderson group and others whose names I have forgetton are working - together sometimes and apart other times - to get it rolling along. Its rolling along whether certain people here think it is or is not. You guys have accomplished more this year than in any other time in your puny history except for maybe Rutherford's 1925 insanity. Of course in 1925, the WTS did it to themsleves. This time it will be the victims and their advocates.

Thinking outside this forum and noticing what actually is going on shows that some huge stuff came down the tracks and more is coming down the tracks that the WTS will have to face - stuff that started this year (and last year too) and it will be around for many years to come thanks to others.

I think, not this tiny db where isues are discussed but, the media and the legal stuff are the keys to getting this policy changed for the better. And believe me ... WTS counsel actually knows this first hand as they are dealing with the disclosure and deposition phase in the Berry suit and sweating out the Boer suit.

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 20 December 2002 15:11:37

• roybatty
    roybatty

Kind of makes one wonder if people like Russell started off with good motives but then just became to full of themselves.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    ...while you guys are discussing another Bowen Email on this board and trying to tear Bill down to size...

I assure you, Hawkaw,I am not one of those "guys". I have never tried to tear down Bill Bowen, nor any of his supporters.

I would agree that R&F Jw's know little of what infighting is going on at Silentlambs. I would also offer the opinion that to most R&F, the impact of Dateline is largely forgotten. It is the WTS who is currently the danger to victims of abuse, past and future, and it is that entity who may be rejoicing in what seems like disruption of the united front of opposers.

If what you say is true about the cause continuing forward, I am gratified.

It makes little or difference to me who is eventually vindicated in this petty sqabble over the website. It's just sad.

As for looking outside this DB, I most certainly do. I have daily contact with loyal dubs, "worldly people", and a rich, full life outside this forum. While you may not have meant this comment as in insult, it could be interpreted as such.

Wasa

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Have to admit to having only a passing interest in Bill & his site, but from an outsiders point of view, Bill has become a media star (celebrity) and it seems to have gone to his head.

I was never sure of those dark shades he wore to a meeting either. If they were not for medical reasons, why the pose ?

• dark rider
    dark rider

Way to go hawkaw, I REALY THINK THAT ALL OF THIS BICKERING IS RELAY SAD. WHETHER BILL IS RIGHT OR WRONG OR REV IS WRONG OR RIGHT, SHOULD NOT MATTER. WE ARE ALL LOSING SIGHT OF THE REAL THREAT HERE AND GIVING THE WTS SOMETHING TO LAUGH ABOUT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit