So, what's your I.Q?

by nakedmvistar 95 Replies latest jw friends

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Wal, I just dunno. When I was in highschool about a hundred years ago, they gave us all a bunch of tests. I rather enjoyed them but didn't really pay much attention to their significance. I remember coming in second in the class in the intelligence test and first in class in reading comprehension. There were about a couple hundred kids in the class, as I remember.

I never really cared about being the smartest, etc., as it seemed to me that all of the "smart" ones would be stuffed shirts and real good at putting others down, but utterly helpless when up against life's emergencies. They seemed to be all theory and no practicality.

The one time I do remember being proud of my ability was the time in Analytic Geometry that we had a huge quadratic equation to solve over the Christmas vacation. The blasted thing took up half a page just to write down. Analyt was a study of the shortcuts of such things, so one glance told me that there were a possible 4 answers to it, as well as the approximate way it would graph: much like a McDonald's "M". Two of the answers became apparent immediately: a +1 and a -3. But I wasn't satisfied. It had been too easy, plus it looked like the center dip of the "M" came down suspiciously close to the abscissa (I think they call it the x-axis now). Anyway, I fiddled around with it for a while and sure enough, there were two more answers, a -.49 and a -.51.

One the first day of school after vacation I just waited to see what would happen when she took grades. She asked what the answer was and a bunch of hands shot up. She called on one and they gave the two easy answers. I waited, grinning. To my surprise, she came back, "That's very good! Now, for our next assignment. . . ." My hand shot up. "Yes, Tom?"

"Uh, I hate to say this, but there are four answers to that equation."

"Oh, there are??? Well, I'll tell you what. You come right on up here to the board and prove it to us."

So I did. After it was all over, I had proved the whole class, the teacher, and the answer book wrong, and she didn't take grades that day. Man, was I in the doghouse!!! 'Course, that only made it all the better. It's dangerous for you city slickers to be running on the assumption that we country boys are dumb! Hehehehe!!!

That about Einstein interested me. I guess that I'm a lot like him in one way at least. I've always liked to ponder over a thing for a while before answering, and others think I'm dumb or slow because of it. It's sure funny though watching their reactions when the chips come down and there I am way out in front of them!

I've always been rather offended by the general opinion that anyone without 4 years of college is uneducated. I think it depends on what one does after school is over and what he does with the knowledge he has that counts. I've long felt that any day that goes by that I don't learn something is wasted. I know I learned far more after my school years than during them.

What is an education? Two hundred years ago, you could have taken one of the south sea islanders, tatooed from head to foot, blindfolded him, and laid him flat in the bottom of a dugout, and he could still have guided you across 60 miles of open ocean to an isolated island.

Or how about the Austrailian Aborigine? They hadn't even come up with the wheel yet, but for generations they had been using one of the most sophisticated airfoil sections ever created. I speak, of course of the boomerang. Heck they even had dozens of different types for different uses, including one for warfare that went straight and took both hands to throw. It busted heads, legs, arms, and anything else in the way.

Those who've read Farley Mowat's book "Never Cry Wolf" might ask themselves who the "educated" one was, him, or the old Eskimo who was continually explaining why the wolves did what they did.

Did these people have "educations"? If not, why not?

I think "an education" is a relative thing, and it depends a great deal on the necessities of life in the time and place that the individual lives.

In addition, I find that the modern "intelligentsia" are as ignorant in their way as those they scorn. They appear to me to be like all other groups of people, regardless of the differentiating reason, race, language, or anything else. They have formulated a way of thinking that is "approved" by their leaders, and any thoughts that run contrary to that is heresy and worthy of ridicule. They too have a very difficult time of thinking "out of the box."

LoneWolf

• breeze
    breeze

I am 135.....

It means nothing.....if you all are so smart why did you get involved with the ORG in the first place????

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

larc ---

Question for you: can common sense be taught? Can an apprentice be put with a journeyman or mentor and learn it?

First, I would hesitate to equate either intelligence or common sense with money. One example would be parenthood. It takes a phenominal amount of common sense to be successful at either motherhood or fatherhood. Yet it costs beau coup bucks to be either.

Or let's look at it another way. My third daughter knew from early on that she wanted to be an executive secretary. All through highschool she took all of the classes she could that would prepare her for such a role. In a state wide shorthand contest she came in second, etc.

After graduation she went to Seattle and immediately landed a job with an insurance company's home office. Within two weeks she'd doubled their former record for production for an individual. This got her noticed and within a few more weeks she became secretary to the top executive in that division. About two months after that she had so excelled in her work that one of the owners of the company made her his secretary, much to the anger of the division manager.

A few more months passed and the company decided to open a new branch and she was put in charge of it's development. (And for the dirty old ladies --- No, she wasn't sleeping with the boss.) All this and she was barely 20 years old with only a highschool education. Talk about a meteoric rise!

About six more months after this I got a phone call. "Dad, this is Judy. I wanted to tell you that I quit."

"Why???" I asked in astonishment.

"Because everything that I do is for myself. I want to work with people and make a difference in their lives." She is now teaching kids in a Headstart program and loving it. She's married with two kids, and her eight-year-old daughter is being invited to dance in the "Nutcracker" along with the Eugene professional ballet. I think she's going to be a ladybug or something.

Now, did Judy exercise intelligence? How about common sense? If not, why not?

In answer to your question, yes, I think that it can be taught, but only by allowing them the room to test theory with reality. That takes courage on the part of both the parent and the child, and in this culture where the only answer to danger is to run, allowing that is not politically correct.

LoneWolf

• hippikon
    hippikon

Motivation is more important than inteligence. (Ok so I flunked pre school so what)

• larc
    larc

Lone Wolf, I found your two essays to be very interesting and thought provoking. You mentioned that many of the smart kids in school were stuffed shirts and were good at putting people down. I was lucky in this regard. I went to a small school out in the country and the kids were not like that. When I went to college, I did run into some like that, but just didn't hang with such. Many of the students where I attended were locals who worked there way through school, like myself. These were the types that I associated with. So in the context of society I never bothered much with the snooty ones. While I am at it, I think there is snootiness among some who didn't go to college. I have seen this as well. I am not putting you in this category, since I think you judge each person on their own merits based on how they live. You next mention your success in school and the poor reception you got from the teacher. It has been shown that bright students who follow the rules and are not creative get better grades than those who are bright and creative. To some degree, a high school is like a manufacturing plant. The idea is to turn out standard product in the most efficient way possible. Yes, this creates book learning, but not adaptive behavior or creativity. You mention the idea that it is important to continue to learn and grow after you leave school. I can't disagree with this point. I may come back with a second essay on those I have known who have done that, but this going to be long, so I will try to keep it short for now. Later you ask about the South Sea Islanders and the Eskimos. Were they educated people? Why, yes of course they were. One of the major purposes of education is to be able to adapt, survive, and succeed in one's environment. Certainly, learning from one' elders and mentors is a highly effective method of learning. In your second essay, you mention the intelligencia and their willingness to declare heresy and ridicule others. This is a common human failing at all levels of society. Those who are different or who have different ideas are ridiculed. You would think that scientists and other high level thinkers would be above this sort of thing, but they are not. In my own case, I have some ideas that go against the grain, they are proven from my research beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I know I will have a hard time getting them accepted. It took me over a year to get them across to one young researcher who had a strong background in this area of research. He finally "got it", and his very excited about us publishing this. (Part of it has to do with IQ testing, by the way.) There are some other points I could comment on, but I will skip them for now, and go to the example of your daughter. Did your daughter show common sense? I would say that your daughter showed an awareness of her true vocational interests. I went through a period of vocational soul searching when I was young. Though not as dramatic an example as that of your daughter's, this soul searching made a very significant difference in my life. Are there examples of common sense? I suppose it depends on what you mean by common sense. I do think it is tragic for a person to go through life making a lot of money at something they hate doing. That doesn't make to sense to me. Please excuse any spelling and grammar errors. My wife wants me to get into the other room to watch a show on how to roast a chicken. I thought I was good at it, but I will go see if I can learn something new.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

My Dad told me what mine was when I was a kid. Lets just put it this way...if I based what I could accomplish on my I.Q.....I'd still be bagging groceries ;)

Edited by - LizardSnot on 14 December 2002 9:47:31

• shera
    shera

I always think about my self not having much of an education...when I was growing up,I had a father who was a severe aloholic.Seeing my mother being abused and at times myself and older sister.On top of that my father had countless deliurm tremors and fits.The reason why I brought this up is because I think growing up like that,stunts yourself in learning despite your I.Q.Even my sister is very bright but she also quit school.Well my father died when I was 14 and I just gave up on everything.I started to drink and do drugs and after he died I developed a temper.To this day I have still not dealt with my father and his death.I have shut myself off when it involves my dad,and I know that is not a good thing.Yep I have some issues that I have to solve before I can grow.

• waiting
    waiting

hey shera,

love your picture. I'm sorry about your family's terrible problems. Even though you outlived the childhood, situations still linger on. A lot of us have the same - and it does take time, even decades.

But we can live life during that time, eh? I think you're absolutely right - our childhoods play a major part in how we outcome - even mental capabilities.

All you've spoken about can cause serious reflections upon you.....issues. I hope you take some time & effort to sort through them. Tough work, but well worth it.

You take care, and Merry Christmas.

waiting

• larc
    larc

Shera, I am sorry to hear about your tragic upbringing and its consequences. Since you have a good mind, that can go a long way in helping you in your recovery. Whether it is self help books, professional counseling, or getting advice from people here, there are things you can do to get started onto a better life. I wish you well on your journey.

• shera
    shera

You have a Merry Christmas as well.((((HUGS))))

Thankyou Waiting for your words,you are 100% right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit